Who here has so many speakers out of rotation???

nolasally

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am a hoarder of all things audio. 12 step thing here. Anyway I recently dug out two sets of speakers I havent listened to in yrs. I bought both sets on the cheap needing refoam and listened to both briefly when purchased. They sat for a yr or so in the ever growing repair pile. I refoamed drivers and slapped them back together and put them away in a corner. Yrs later and many speakers piled on and around these made it damn near inpossible to get to. Well I finally had a chance to here these speakers for the first time in over 5yrs. and am very very impressed. The speakers in question are:

AR9LSI which actually sold to a repeat customer last week when he came to buy a TT and heard them. Sad to see those go.

Philips FB 825x with ribbon tweeters... Marantz sold the same speakers at the time in the 90's. These are in my top 10 list and wont be for sale. Look them up folks. Sorry cant take pics now.. Wife took my phone to work tonight...

If you guys & gals have speakers that havent been unearthed in some time, do yourself a favor and dig those gems out..

I just started this fall rechecking my hoard. If nothing else you find oddities like the KLH 17's I found in my stash with small advents crossovers. No memory of how that happened don't know if I got them that way or if they were an experiment. Trying to get them back to stock but interpreting what Kloss was up to is hard.

I have four pairs of Martin Logan speakers. The 3 pairs of Motion series are supposedly for my HT system, but when I looked round the back of the receiver to answer a member's question a couple days ago, I realized it isn't even wired up, so I suppose those speakers are out of rotation. I keep meaning to plug them into my 2 channel system to check out the differences between conventional speakers and my electrostats, but never seem to get around to it.

I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins DM12's that have been hooked up to my KA-8300 for about 2 years, and probably have less than 2 hrs. listening to them since then. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a vintage audio rack to house my KA-8100, and my Dual 1219. Tonight, I've listened to them for 2 hrs. already. It really helped to get them into a larger listening area, more acoustically friendly too! Although properly hooked up, I guess you could say they were out of rotation

I have those same B&W's They beg for power. Heavy little buggers with impressive crossover. 80's B&W goodness...

I have a pair of GTE Slyvania AS-225a's buried in a pile that I need to revisit one day.
After a a refoam these sounded damn good when fed some power.

Can't answer this question directly because I have 4 sets of speakers up and running through an Adcom GSP-6 spkr selector and my Adcom gfa555 has no problem pushing any of them. Back a few years ago I had 6 working sets but that got out of control both in logistics and non use. I do rotate weekly all said sets w/ the Polk SDA 2Bs ruling the roost over my other sets. Now this is heresy according to some of the golden eared dudes over in Polkville who say the selector and other downstream devices add noise to the set up (i hear no such noise) rather use 1 main set w/ no other sets working but will hoard or collect multiple sets because either they have the room and for investment reasons. I live in a 1 bdrm apt so I'm limited to how many I can store.

I've got about 25 pairs and growing. I only have one in rotation right now. KLH Sixes.

polk monitor 7b [wrapped in blankets as they are in great shape]
yamaha ns 500
yamaha ns 1000m [ i have never heard them i have no room, covered with blankets]
energy esm 2
energy esm 1
energy 22..2 with original stands
energy veritas 2.4
Polk rt 100
a few different nuance models
paradigm 7se
those are the ones i can see from here
then theres all the stuff in the basement
some will get re-homed soon, while they still have some value

the stuff in my sig gets daily use, if i had somewhere to put the kef 105, i'd swap them with veratis or ns 1000

but with 2 systems in the living room that involves 11 speakers .. its getting hard to move stuff

Down from a dozen or so extra pairs to one extra small pair of outdoor speakers only because of their normally short lifespan. In my case living space takes priority over a pile of rarely used speakers. But I do love going over to my bud's place who has both of his garage bays plus a couple of storage units stacked to the ceiling with speakers.:banana:

not any more... I had a pair of EV Interface D's packed in my closet.... had an extra pair of VMR's for them, an extra pair of ST-350's for them.... had electronic EQ for them.....

Asked my wife's nephew if he'd like a project (refoaming woofers) and gave the who pile to him. (along with a CR-2040, 3bx, C-101)

He left in pretty good spirits and I have my closet back.

I recently hooked up my Altec Lansing 315s in place of my Allison Twos in the main rig after they had sat for awhile. They do some things better than the Allisons, but they don't sound as good overall. When I first hooked them up I thought wow these kick the Allisons ass. After a couple of weeks i realized that they sound really good, but not superior. They're going to end up in the workout room on a third system eventually. That's my only extra pair. For now

Last edited:
You motivated me to hook up my Genesis 2s. I hadn't yet heard them with my Sansui AU717. They sound fantastic!
Thanks for the motivation

2 pairs of really nice KLH Model Six's almost never get played these days. Also a nice pair of Wharfedale W60's. Between my Cornwalls and AR 2ax's hard to rotate anything else in.

Way too many of my hoard do not get attention. I need to purge soon.
EV Marquis
ESS AMT1d
Rectilinear XII
D.A.C. Serial # 11&12... Whatever these are..
Heatkit AS40? ( i think)
Many other bookshelf speakers...

Speakerlabs because I don't have anything that currently can push 4ohms and some EV Monitors that need a refoam.

I have the following:

Klipsch Forte II
Philips 476
Infinity Kappa 9
Ohm Model I
KEF R101
JBL S8 Flair
Advent NLA (2 sets)
3D Acoustics Cubes
KLH Model 26 (with Model 24 receiver/turntable)

One set is always in the main rig. The rest take up space.

The good news is I sold quite a few sets this year. I can see floor in the shop now :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom