Who made Herald speakers?

michael

Picked up some old Dynaco equipt and a pair of cabinets with Herald 15" speakers in storage since '73. These are 15" and seem pretty sturdily made. As I recall, Herald was a lower-priced label of electronic eqiupt. back in the 60's and 70's, sold mostly by independently-owned shops, etc. They look like some of the Jensen baskets I've seen but I'm sure that they were made by a variety of mfr's. Any ideas?

Michael

Screw the speakers. What old Dynaco gear d'ja pick up? :)

Sorry, I'm out of line, this IS the speaker forum. I guess with an unknown the best thing to do is try them out. If they are good and from the 60's they might be just the ticket for low power tube amps.

Last edited:
Michael I believe the speakers were made by Hark the Herald Angel but don't quote me

opt80

all's I can say is...

Herald Electronics was a brand of raw drivers that I recall being sold by mail-order outfits in the 1970's (e.g., Zalytron and Stereo Discounters). I don't know if they were rebranded drivers from a "major manufacturer", or offshore drivers with a US brand name, or a legitimate driver manufacturer. I've never knowingly seen one 'in the flesh'.

You might want to try the vintage forum at AA, or James Melhuish's Full-Range Driver forum.

Check the driver baskets for an EIA manufacturer code. This is meant to be a positive ID for the "real" manufacturer of a component. There's lists of EIA codes for speakers at:

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

and EIA codes for other electronic components at:

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

Weird Harold speakers

Thanks for the info and tips! Rob, not much; but I did get a beauty of an SCA-35 and FM-3. I've got a 35 from a NOS kit I built back in '85 and this new one is in almost as good of condition. Funny postscript to this story: I was gutting the cabinets last night and wondered why they were full of crumpled newspaper. Found several old (empty) Yellowstone bottles inside, still in the package store sacks along with the crumpled 1971 newspapers. Din't know if they'd belonged to Albert ("call me Al") Kahalik or not...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom