Who made the best vintage audio?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gear - Top Performers' started by blurghy, Feb 7, 2003.

1. rob Brandt

rob Brandt Member

oh--and the magical oil used in those caps? Generic mineral oil okayed by the FDA to avoid potential lawsuits if they should leak.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

To each his own. I have never used anyone else's ears and brain to collect the music and make the decisions. No reason we need to go further with this. Party on.

3. Blue Shadow

Lots of things are made available with the same stuff in them and some different sticker on the outside to get more money. IDK.

What about the Nichicon Audio Caps vs. the standard Nichicon lines?

We have to be careful or they will ban us to the cutting edge forum.

4. spark1

spark1 Super Member

My Sansui AU-919 is hand built and is considered by everyone in the world and on other planets as the best electronic device ever created. There are some who believe that God himself owns one. There has never been and never will be a better design or execution. If you don't believe me, you can sniff my sneakers after I wear them to mow the lawn. In fact, you are welcome to do this even if you do believe me.

Mr. Sansui himself personally hand-soldered every AU-919, using platinum solder. Every stereo magazine, textbook, newspaper and billboard says that it is the best, and it weighs 473 pounds. Mr. Sansui's design team consisted of the best electrical engineers, the best opera singers and the entire Manhattan Project staff.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Bruno Primas likes this.
  5. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

And that's just the half of it...

6. spark1

spark1 Super Member

I didn't want to gush.

7. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

You were remarkably restrained.

spark1 likes this.
  8. spark1

spark1 Super Member

I pride myself on my self-control. It's nearly as good as the controls on my Sansui AU-919, which were crafted by Faberge jewelers under the supervision of Carl Sagan to meet NASA-level quality requirements. But enough about my Sansui AU-919. Let's talk about the inferiority of all other electronics instead.

9. Blue Shadow

Inferior, I don't think so. This Sony, not only does it have a thread here on AK, but I can attest to its far superior FM reception capabilities compared to that obviously limited AU-919. pic borrowed from the Radio Attic.
    [​IMG]

I got one of these and since I have tunes in the garage, I gave it to a friend for his garage. It picked up the stations with ease, something the AU can't do and has tone control processing to adjust to the environment or the listeners preferences. It really was a great sounding radio. Still working even without a recap. Seems Sony made a billion of them in slightly different iterations.

Maybe @Solid_State will drop in and provide new pictures since the ones in his thread are no longer hosted. He can just drag and drop to a post in this thread.

Take that

Ds2000 likes this.
  10. Solid_State

Solid_State Solid State is great

I hope this is what you need as I no longer have the radio but I saved the pictures on my computer

Sony2.jpg

Sony3.jpg

Sony1.jpg

Ds2000 likes this.
  11. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

I don't think anyone makes vintage audio, they just make audio equipment that later becomes vintage.

Ds2000 likes this.

12. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

Audio equipment to me is sort of like hot dogs. I used to work with a butcher who used to say when questioned about the differences between cheap hot dogs and good ones. “ hot dogs are all made from lips tongues and ass holes. Some are just better quality lips tongues and ass holes”. And I agree