Who makes good knives?

RickeyM

Addicted Member
I'm posting the question here because you guys are a pretty knowledgeable bunch. I'm recently retired and plan to spend more time in the kitchen. Right now all I have is a "Made in China" set of knives I got from the local Goodwill but I know there's better out there. So what say you all? Any recommendations?

Probably closer to $150 per set.

We have a number of knives but 90% of the time it's only a few of them I ever use.

Chefs knife, medium/smaller santoku-style, paring knife, and perhaps surprisingly a serrated bread knife.

Sticking with just the few basics that you'll use mostly you can get a little better quality out of your budget than a big set of stuff that you won't often use.

There are a few previous threads about knives. Maybe have a look at those for some ideas on brands.

I picked up a set of knives by Wusthof 20 years ago and love em. They sharpen quickly, keep an edge for a long time and feel solid and balanced. Watch for sales and build a set over time.

Costco has a set of Wüstoff for $125-150 I think. It’s their better set too I believe.

Learn how to keep them sharp properly.

Good luck and let us know what you get and what you think.

Thanks
Eric

henckel. 35+ years, multiple daily use, keeps edge ( less trips to resharpen), and thrown
into dishwasher.

don't bother with putting French-made chef's hat before pulling out diamond steel sharpener,
honers, leather straps, Japanese sword stone-sharpener set with magic oils. just sharpen
when you put them away - don't waste time when preparing.

and for those of you who are single woman/gun/amp/car/cycle/pen/computer kinda guy,
get a Chinese made cleaver. these are lighter and often ONLY knife carried by
China's best. Seen them do thin, thick and whack.

I have 7 J.A. Henkel Pro S bought one at a time as needed. Great knives. I wanted a Japanese Damascus veggie cleaver and the 7” VG-10 67 layer cleaver I bought is amazing.

My Henckels are about 45 years old, and still champs. The 6" Utility is losing its edge shape, starting to get a flat spot, but I never use it for chopping. Still, the factory rep is coming into town in April, so I will see if he can restore the rocker or if they'll just replace it. Two years ago, my original steel, which was wearing out, dropped out of its wooden handle. Without a word, the rep walked over to the store's rack, pulled out their best steel, and inserted it into my block, with a silent nod to the proprietor.

That is Customer Service.

As is my habit, I will throw in recommendations for the lower end of the market.

For the money I do not think that you can do better than one of the Scandinavian brands.
Mora is probably the most prominent brand, though there are many others. Excellent steel and design.
They make a bewildering range of knives overall, and both inexpensive and a premium lines of kitchen knives.
Check out this link https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
Scroll way down the page to find the kitchen knives.
I have made about a dozen knives from blade blanks, and I have been highly impressed by the Scandinavian blades. (Mora, Helle, Brusletto, and Lauri)

If you are OK with carbon steel and want a US brand, then Old Hickory makes a selection that are extremely economical, simply made to age-old forms, and have excellent steel.

Another European brand that I like is Opinel. Stainless and carbon steel. Simple, high quality and affordable.

I highly recommend the Victorinox Forschner line. Very good quality and dirt cheap for what it is.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom