Who says Am sound Sucks? You can now add Am Stereo to Your Tuner

Audioo

According to www.meduci.com with modern updated technology Am sounds just as good as FM.

And with the Am stereo kit it will sound am azing in stereo

Attachments

• AM_ST.jpg
    AM_ST.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 58
i thought this was done years ago ? sure i have a conversion board for something or other kicking around . maybe not for same thing but Am stereo i do remember something about it .

Hard part would be finding a station that still broadcasts the C-QuAM AM stereo signal. That was pretty popular back in the '80's, but most stations dropped it because of a lack of tuners available to receive it. There's also known issues with sideband dropout (really annoying to listen to) and limited reception range. Great idea, but there's a lot of good reasons why they could never make it a popular option.

Some things sound great on AM. Like Vin Scully announcing a baseball game. For some reason baseball sounds the best on AM.
All thats required is narrowband for male voice and crowd noise ...
Plus, how can you not get drawn in for a team you care about ...
Doesn't mean it will convey music worth a darn!

A few years ago I had just finished restoring an antique highboy am radio. I turned it on to give it a listen after putting it back in the cabinet, and I found a station playing an old radio program, a drama. I listened for awhile and then we went out to eat. Came back and the station was gone. I never heard anything like that again. Spooky.

A few years ago I had just finished restoring an antique highboy am radio. I turned it on to give it a listen after putting it back in the cabinet, and I found a station playing an old radio program, a drama. I listened for awhile and then we went out to eat. Came back and the station was gone. I never heard anything like that again. Spooky.
I heard the Twilight Zone theme reading your post...

Back in the older days, the best AM tuners were wide IF bandwidth or adjustable, audio from them sounded better (and limited by the Station's engineering prowess, and the quality and state of maintenance of the station equipment)

Thread title is still misleading -

Who says Am sound Sucks? You can now add Am Stereo to Your Tuner

Adding AM Stereo to your TUNER does not improve AM Sound
Sucking in STEREO is no real improvement over Sucking in Mono.

Besides, - in most cities, No one is transmitting AM Stereo anyway.

http://meduci.com/stations.html

Yes, most AM stations which were broadcasting in stereo dropped it when they started HD broadcasting. Apparently the two systems are incompatible.

The listing from the prior link of stations still broadcasting AM stereo includes no stations in NYC, LA or Chicago.

I have one of Meduci's stand alone AM stereo tuners. It sounds good for an AM tuner, but not close to decent FM. I don't know how much of this is processing at the broadcast end, and how much is limitations in AM technology - probably some of both. I don't have any local AM stereo stations, so I can't say how that sounds. I also have a Scott tube tuner with a "wideband" AM section, and it sounds similar. The Meduci tuner is apparently no longer available - I bought mine several years after it came out, and got S/N 11, so this was apparently very much a niche product.

Back
Top Bottom