Who says Am sound Sucks? You can now add Am Stereo to Your Tuner

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Audioo, May 25, 2018.

1. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

Listening habits are definitely changing, but OTA radio's death may be greatly exaggerated.
    It still gets the largest share of 1) listeners and 2) minutes listened. Here's one page
    that graphs the numbers. It's representative of others I've seen.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Until wideband unlimited streaming becomes a default utility freebie available essentially everywhere, AM/FM broadcasting will remain viable.

beat_truck and Teddy White like this.
  3. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Otherwise, pay to play satellite radio.

4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Extra annoying if you have a wide band tuner, or just an old tube radio that was built without particularly narrow IF response. I have a few that fall into that category, my two AM/FM simulcast tuners are by far the widest since they were designed for high fidelity AM reception. Switching to wide doesn't give any more frequency response, it just pulls in the digital hash noise.

5. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

My '86 Trans Am has AM stereo in addition to the Fm and cassette deck, with the equalizer - Probably the same chassis as you had. It still works, but no stations are broadcasting in AM stereo around me any more.

6. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

As for IF, the Hallicrafters set I keep in the northwoods has adjustable IF and adjustable oscillator for BF. It's most effective in SW bands when picking up the UK or Amsterdam at night, over the top pole. I frequently get southern hemisphere stations DXing on clear nights when it is winter in the south.

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. spicer

spicer Super Member

Probably same chassis. Mine was from an 85 Cadillac. I just recently sold the Olds but the radio and cassette was still working when I sold it. A good unit... brass flywheels for the cassette, nice brass bushings, sendust four channel head, light interrupter for tape up reel confirmation and auto reverse sensing.... excellent radio, Am and FM... would blend multiplex system below a threshold losing separation during multipath or weakening signal for best signal to noise ratio instead of simply switching to mono. It would have served as a decent cassette play deck in the home system. I actually had the Delco service manual for it which was excellent.

musichal likes this.