Who scored the L-08Ms on A-gon?

I was hoping someone would come clean! Have only ever seen 2 or 3 pairs of these in the US...figured it must have been one of us AK nuts :)

I saw those at the same time I saw the L-1000 set. I believe he was asking $1,200 for them (not sure). I jumped on the L-1000's and somebody else apparently jumped on the 08M's. They were gone within hours. Funny how sometimes there is nothing for months and then a seller like that literally floods the market w/ multiple uber rare pieces! All of the pieces he has been selling came from a surgeon who sold his whole collection of 100 units. There was a thread here on AK about the original Craig's List ad this surgeon posted. The L08m's along with the L-1000's were being offered by the guy who bought the surgeon's collection.

I am still waiting to receive my L-1000's because the seller is having his tech check them over. I'll try to post my impressions once I get these all in house and live with them a while.

One of the problems with the L-1000T is that you need the remote to have total functionality control and the remotes for the L-1000T and the L-1000C were not included with the set I bought. I have ordered a Logitech Harmony One universal remote for which Logitech says they have the remote settings to download for the Kenwood L-1000T tuner and the L-1000C preamp which will be awesome if they work! I'll let you know guys know if the downloaded remote settings really cover EVERY function. If not, I will give you a shout Jeff!

Last edited:
I was hoping someone would come clean! Have only ever seen 2 or 3 pairs of these in the US...figured it must have been one of us AK nuts :)

Give the buyer of the L-08Ms about a week.When he discovers that one of the only English discussions of this gear,is here at AK,he will post.

I think the seller is the same guy who I got my Marantz Music Link MA-24 amps from. He is local to me, and has an enormous cache of ultra-rare equipment, including a Kenwood L-A1. I got to see the L-08's in person, they are really something to behold. Very cool looking amps, I would have loved to hear them.

I own a pair of L-07 mono blocks, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, few amplifiers, even new, can embarrass them. Never knew there was an L-08, in the future will definitely be one of the bidders, some unlucky soul will have to contend with.

I got my second pair of L-08Ms about eight months ago as a swap for an L-01T tuner. I didn't listen to tuners much anymore, so for me it was a steal, even though the DC offset on one is unstable (hoping it's not duff input transistors). Got my first pair over ten years ago, but still haven't gotten round to refurbing them and activating my Maggie MG12QRs ;-)

Not sure I'd agree it sounds like any other good amp, though it depends on your definition of 'good'.

Even unrefurbed, my first pair had an unusually clean, neutral but not sterile sound - very natural tonal balance, and very three-dimensional soundstage. Properly refurbed, I suspect it would take an uncommonly good amp to equal their performance.

Back
Top Bottom