Who stands now in the shadow of Stevie, and Albert and BB and Roy?

Imanoldee

As time rolls inexorably on, Albert King, BB King, Roy Buchanan, and Stevie Ray Vaughan are now only part of our memory.
Although their music lives on for us to enjoy.

I am searching for Electric Blues players still living and playing, who may be in the same league, if such is possible, as these legends.

Who now tries to fill their shadow?
Who now can play for us the Blues?

Please don't forget Rory Gallagher, who we lost 22 years ago this week on June 14, 1995. Although there are many fine electric blues players around now, the legends will not be replaced.

200px-Rory_Gallagher_1982.jpg

There's probably a crapload we've never heard of playing in joints all around the world. Blues isn't mainstream and there's legions of unknowns out there. BB and SRV got the fame and fortune, not so much for Albert and Roy, and others like Luther Allison, Freddie King, and Albert Collins. I lived in Chicago and regularily watched Son Seals, Magic Slim, Jimmy Johnson, and Eddie Clearwater at The Kingston Mines and B.L.U.E.S.

Some of the new players are too flashy for me and lack the slow, searing soul I love.

There's probably a crapload we've never heard of playing in joints all around the world. Blues isn't mainstream and there's legions of unknowns out there. BB and SRV got the fame and fortune, not so much for Albert and Roy, and others like Luther Allison, Freddie King, and Albert Collins. I lived in Chicago and regularily watched Son Seals, Magic Slim, Jimmy Johnson, and Eddie Clearwater at The Kingston Mines and B.L.U.E.S.

Some of the new players are too flashy for me and lack the slow, searing soul I love.
This is the truth.
Get out to some clubs or festivals, and the good stuff is there.

Honestly, I'd argue that there was never anybody(nor will there be) to fill BB's or Albert's shoes. They were both one of a kind.

One name that ought to be here is SRV's brother. Waaay less flash than Stevie, but he can play.

Dave Hole, deserves some more airtime. Nasty slide player who lives in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom