Who the hell is Spkrman57

Originally posted by Jack G
The 845 is an excellent tube.
(snip)
The old adage that lower power=better is a myth.
Jack

The 845 is wonderfully linear over a wide range of operating points. The only downsides, IMO, are the problems inherent in a 10v-fil DHT (takes care and work to make really quiet), and that it needs a LOT of voltage swing in the driver.

I agree that it's a myth that lower power = better sound, but... I think it's just a lot EASIER to make a lovely couple first watts with a low power design than with a high power design. It seems to me there are just more ways to go wrong with more power, and I have been really good at finding those ways to go wrong. :eek:

Another way to put it is that building a great-sounding high-power tube amp is something I hope to work up to, after passing through stages of low and mid-power amps. Until then, I've got the deHavilland amps to keep me warm.

Tubino

I prefere to biamp myself as I can't afford to go with a 30 WPC SE that I could use as a reading lamp. There is more than one path to get to the same place. Aside from that, the one system that I do not have biamped is a SE 6BQ5 driving Altec 416s with Heil AMTs for everything over 8Khz. It might not go below 50 Hz but can slam you out of the room way before the amps clip. Below that SS sounds as good as anything else, so why pay the high $$ for a few more watts? It is cheaper to go with properly matched drivers than it is to go for higher wattage SE.

OK, I take it back. I really cranked it up past what I like to listen too but still below the pain thresh hold and the amps certainly did clip. I found out today that these transformers are liable to be put into some new prototypes using the EH 7591s for 10WPC and the Dyna ST-70 kits will more than likely be parrallel SE 7591s for 20WPC. No word on when this is going to happen. In the mean time these little 3.3 watt amps can really pump it out and I am loving them!

Back
Top Bottom