Who to trust with a 1980 repair

I'll agree - that's one heavy beast.

I think my motions through, and in packaging I use it's weight to my advantage - compressing foam for fit checks etc. I have to do it solo.

My packing sequence:
several wraps of thin plastic (The 1980 is standing sideways on the turntable and rotated) with the ends folded over and everything securely taped - for water and finish protection.
then some cardboard boxes are converted to sheets, and the sheets of cardboard are wrapped around the unit. Taped securely.
Then extra bands of 2" packing tape over the cardboard and encircling the whole unit, like 3 or 4 layers.
Then a couple of pieces of folded over paper with 4+ paperback books inside are then encircled by 2" tape over the first bands, the books (when removed) leaving slack in the five layer or so (for strength) tape wraps as HANDLES.
Then I lay down the unit and use my arms as forklift tines in those handles to lift the unit up, swivel over and lower the unit into the box. (the "white whale", an ATA instrument shipping container.)
Stand the container on it's side to compress one sides' foam and stuff in other sides' foam.
Stand the container on it's other side to finish stuffing the first sides' foam. It should then not be ABLE to move side to side.
Repeat for front and back stuffing.
Between the foam, foam stuffing and the ATA container I have shipped MANY SX-1980's without incident.
And, for HALF of those trips I wasn't the one who packed it, I shipped the White Whale empty to GET it.

I'm lucky in that I have access to a Foam-In-Place, InstaPack 901. The shop is open 24/7 so I can utilize the receiving area for packing. The big deal is, I have to move the set from the shop to the car to the shop. I do this with all the audio units I send out.
The foam packing is the cats a$$. I've shipped all over the world using the system and cardboard box. Some times I'll add 3/16 plywood to the sides of the receiver, between the box and foam, to protect against punctures. It's a great system. It does take some experience to use it effectively.
Knock on wood. So far so good.
I saw an InstaPack 901 for sale on eBay for $750.00. Not bad but the two part materials are the expensive part. And it takes up some room. They (Part "A" and "B") come in 55 gallon drums. :(

:D
At least a life time supply.
I'd have to start a shipping business.

Put the 780 boards and heatsinks in a plastic bag and hit them with the foam. Slap a shipping label on them with a stamp. No envelopes needed. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

A definite problem finding someone worthy of servicing a 1980. God if you can not even trust that they will not damaging the original box, times are tough, I think we can count them on our fingers, maybe only one hand too.
This unit is beast, it probably requires 2 strong folks just to get it into and out of the box or shipping crate and on to the work bench = nuts for us old farts :)

Not just the 1980. The Marantz 2600/2500 and other monster receivers that tip the scales at over 60+ lbs. I won't name who but one "retired" from fixing these boat anchors of receivers. So it's definitely one handed count. I don't blame him. Had to carry the Marantz 2500 downstairs. It's staying there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom