Who uses a high frequency filter?

Alobar

Addicted Member
The past week or so I have grown increasingly dissatisfied with my stereo, sounding flat in the high frequencies despite the JBL 077 super tweeters I have added. They had always made such a nice added difference but of late I have not been able to even hear them! Was thinking maybe their polarity was reversed or that I was losing my hearing or something. I was checking connections and holding my ear right up to the tweeter and barely could hear sound, and this with the L-pads turned to maximum.

Then it hit me and I remembered the HF filter switch on my preamp and sure enough it had been bumped to the 7khz setting.. Arg.. Brain fart! Flipped that off and it was like my ears clicked after suddenly climbing 10,000 feet in an airplane or car. I could hear everything! Had to immediately turn down the Lpad back to where I normally had them set.

It got me wondering what this switch could actually be used for in a Hi Fi sound system. It has 7 and 12khz settings with off in the middle. Now I do use the low frequency filter at 36hz. It tends to keep any feedback from the TT and frankly these 15" drivers can't deliver at that those frequencies anyway. But the hi frequency filters, why did they have them? Does anyone use them here? I am thinking about putting some tape on the switch, but it will look kind of ungodly on my otherwise handsome 1/4" thick anodized aluminum faceplate. Maybe some clear epoxy. This is one switch I could stand to be without!

I'm fairly certain that most of us have accidentally/inadvertently made a switch selection that compromises normal playback. My only suggestion to combat this is to not do whatever you did that caused you to "forget flicking" that switch.:D

Maybe high filter was used to help reduce hiss in tape playback, or some other legacy source?

Take some double sided tape and.put a few thumb tacks on it. You'll know if you bump it.

i done that once with my Pioneer SX-636, i even want as far as to pull the tweeters out of the box and measure them for continuity. then i saw i had the high filter button pushed in :mad::mad::mad:

Well a little clear packing tape for now, doesn't look that noticeable and should keep it from being bumped again.
I forgot about tape hiss! Although I am sure I never used the HF filter for it when I was running tape decks.
Capture.JPG

Back
Top Bottom