Who/what is being "bundled".?

50nstillhifi

O... K... , so I posted another question on the PC side of these forums... and I have another (imagine that :idea: ).

And thank you guys and gals for bringing clarity to my somewhat "simple" questions!

So.... I have streaming services by a rather nationally known provider A _ &_. When you get their service, at least originally.. you can "bundle" the package. Along with television service, I got INET service. They have a very reliable network and the equipment modems are reliable enough.

Well recently, I noticed my service (data) was getting slower.. or so it seems. This after the last technician was said to have enhanced the service with an "independent" data line or connection. Talking to Customer Service... (and I use this term politely)... as I am sure they are mostly up:blah:sales persons... I had the modem speed or data transfer increased to 16-24mps. Not sure what this does.. but its more than I had before.

Now in reviewing some specs, I noticed the WIFI can only transmit/transfer so much data. And I understand with more usage on my line, this will still translate into slower data speeds.

Question 1: Is this in fact correct that a higher data transfer does not mean "faster".. at PC or device?

Question 2: I am "chasing a "phantom" by trusting performance to my INET provider that can change operational specs at will?

I don't expect simple answers to this question... So feel free to elaborate!

Let's start with my first question first.
Well recently, I noticed my service (data) was getting slower.. or so it seems.
How/by what means did you determine this?
Question 1: Is this in fact correct that a higher data transfer does not mean "faster".. at PC or device?
Yes.
Question 2: I am "chasing a "phantom" by trusting performance to my INET provider that can change operational specs at will?
No.

How/by what means did you determine this?

The method... I thought to be fairly accurate.. I measured the data transfer speed using the Windows monitor at the PC. It appeared to indicate the speed was far below the capability and had diminished over the several weeks.

The provider said this can in fact be a "technical" provider issue... they say they will investigate using their techs.

:idea:

The method... I thought to be fairly accurate.. I measured the data transfer speed using the Windows monitor at the PC. It appeared to indicate the speed was far below the capability and had diminished over the several weeks.

The provider said this can in fact be a "technical" provider issue... they say they will investigate using their techs.

:idea:
OK. That's one "fairly accurate" gage. But lots of factors PC side can bottleneck bandwidth. Try this.

• Shut down your PC.
  • Reboot (power off/on) your AT&T modem and/or router. Wait for blinks to subside.
  • Fire up your PC (preferably in SafeMode with Networking)
  • Open your browser, go here and run the test. http://www.speedtest.net/

If AT&T is giving your pipe what they say...you should expect around +/-18 Mb/sec.

OK. That's one "fairly accurate" gage. But lots of factors PC side can bottleneck bandwidth. Try this.

• Shut down your PC.
  • Reboot (power off/on) your AT&T modem and/or router. Wait for blinks to subside.
  • Fire up your PC (preferably in SafeMode with Networking)
  • Open your browser, go here and run the test. http://www.speedtest.net/

If AT&T is giving your pipe what they say...you should expect around +/-18 Mb/sec.

Thank you... and will do!

Although its after my wife views her "favorites" tonight .... but will let you know the result, for sure.... :thumbsup:

I had at&t phone for years... then internet for several years.... recently just dropped them.... service speed (internet) is very slow compared to others.
We went with cable internet from Charter (part of WB/comcast maybe? ) Spectrum and my speed is 60mb. It really is a huge difference. Just recently,
Dish network lost NFL channel and RedZone so I am switching over everything to Charter and its cheaper and I get a lot more. Bundled, reg phone , internet, and movie channels . I can say this too... At&t were total pr#ck$ after I politely told them I was leaving because their internet was too slow. They said I was not under contract and then clipped me anyways, and said I could keep and sell the modem only a month later said I had to send it back or I owed them $150. I did some research and looked them up on line and there are a lot of unhappy folks. I had been a customer for 30+ years and they treat me like that when I politely said I'm leaving because I am having difficulty streaming netflix... Dish on the other hand completely understood when I said I was leaving ( they could no longer provide the content I wanted) - I felt bad leaving, but I gotta have my football..... + I get the Dodgers now also with Charter!!

SITUP.... (situation update).... I went ahead and improved on some basic operational parameters for my PC, made sure the WIFI and browser was current and matched for optimum band-with performance... and for the most part have had some improvement :thumbsup:.

This although I am still skeptical about getting proper speeds from the provider. So I went ahead and ordered a new modem thinking mine is antiquated for the line capability. I plan to install, reboot, and reevaluate.

Outcome to be determined in a future posting of .... "What's being bundled"!!!

Appreciate all the guidance :bigok:

Back
Top Bottom