Who / What is blocking my favourite station?

minio

Here in the U.K. I’ve been listening to my favourite jazz radio station for many years. Jazz FM (UK) started as an actual fm station in London around 25 years ago but more recently I’ve found it on my internet streamer and have listened happily for several years now.

Except that just before Christmas it has stopped streaming for no apparent reason. The station and the artists playing come up in the window but the sound is just a few milliseconds of squelch followed by zilch - nothing!

The station still exists (on DAB+ and on my phone radio player by WiFi) but not on my streamer.
The streamer works ok on thousands of other channels so why not my particular favourite channel?

I’ve rebooted the streamer and the router and re logged on the station several times but still no luck. It’s a mystery to me.

Any ideas out there?

Sounds like the stream url linked to your "streamer" is no longer valid. Contact the maker/provider of your device and ask them to update their link to JazzFM UK

What/Which streamer are you using exactly?

I had a similar problem a year or two ago with the stream from Antenne Bayern in Munich. The links the station gave on their website were valid but did not work for me on any streaming software, with any computer in my home. Emails to Antenne Bayern went unanswered. Other U.S. listeners were affected as well but blamed their streaming apps on their mobile phones.

After about 8 months without Antenne Bayern, I found out by accident that they did not have copyright clearance to play their stream in the U.S. After station owner Bertelsmann AG came to an agreement with ASCAP, BMI, etc. streaming resumed and has continued since.

Minio, if you find that your links are valid, perhaps your station has restricted their streaming to non-UK locations, requiring you to rely on DAB reception. I've read about that a while back, too, as a possibility.

I am now listening to Jazz FM UK on my mobile radio player through the same WiFi router that my streamer uses. I gather this must indicate the issue is with the Streamagic.

It still baffles me that the streamer can receive all stations from Angola to Uzbekistan but not my favourite local station?

Cambridge Streamagic 6.
Ok. Have you tried updating your box? Again my guess is that the stream url originally provided to their directory service by JazzFM has changed. While it’s supposed to automatically load the most current directory maybe its not and a forced update will fix.

It is also possible that jazz FM has not updated their listing with their directory service. In that case I would suggest contacting JazzFM and tell them their stream is inaccessible and they can provide the new stream link to the Radioplayer directory.

Beyond that… You can also manually load your own stream urls by registering your box with Stream-magic.com

When i get back to my main rig i will see if i can find the direct stream url and post here.

Last edited:
Ok thanks I’ll have a go at updating the SM6 again, but it did say it was up to date on a recent attempt.

Ok thanks I’ll have a go at updating the SM6 again, but it did say it was up to date on a recent attempt.
OK. Back at the ranch.

Your Streamagic 6 box uses(d) the Radioplayer directory service. http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/ and apparently things have changed and your SM6 is no longer syncing with the RP directory. Initially, (back when) you could manually manage your SM6 by registering your device at stream-magic.com and enter custom urls, etc. But it appears that portal has been scuttled.
"www.stream-magic.com has now closed down. Also the Sirius XM and Aupeo! Streaming services are no longer available on Stream Magic devices. At the same time, we are excited to be releasing a firmware upgrade for existing Stream Magic devices such as the NP30, Stream Magic 6 (v1) and Minx Xi that enables those units to use the newer Cambridge Connect app and adds Spotify Connect".

So now, Cambridge is using a stand alone app for additional feature and device management chores. Also, if your SM6 did not receive the latest firmware update (assuming your version qualifies) then it's possible it must be registered with Cambridge in order to receive it. So if you haven't already go to https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/register and then try to update again.

My gut tells me that this should fix/sync the stream current stream url for JazzFM. If not, then you can try to manually enter this direct stream link via the new app or directly into your SM6.

http://tx.sharp-stream.com/icecast.php?i=jazzfmmobile.mp3

Have got the IP address of the SM6 but comes back “unreachable”.

I can’t find any instructions on how to enter the url manually.

Back
Top Bottom