Who's content with their rig?

To me, the fun of this hobby is the ability to change the rig from time to time so it is constantly evolving. No need to get tired of it!

I doubt I will ever be content for a long period of time. For a while I had 2 dbx 400s in series with 5 different processors connected, then went bare bones, then went with only aN SAE 5000A and dbx 120X. Changed preamps, TTs, etc. Drives the wife crazy.

Then there is the fact I have started buying more h/k receivers. Most of them get limited duty drving the system I listen to when on the PC at home. End up buying another and swapping. When will it end? When will it end. Oh oh, I am hearng voices again. No wait, that is talk radio....

Yes I am content with my stereos.
My problem is having too much stuff. I have three separates systems set up, one receiver-based system, and an integrated amp system. They sound from very good to great.
In my case, the speakers have the greatest impact on their sound. I like each of the speaker systems.
I am running the bigger amps in my systems, and have quite a few more (nice amps) packed away. System one consists of the Yamaha M-80/Carver C-1/Phase Linear P-530. #2 has the Denon POA-2200/Luxman C-383/Pioneer HPM-900. Three mates the Soundcraftsmen M5002A/Soundcraftsmen DX4200/JBL CF150. Then there is the Nikko NR-1015 with a pair of Advent Utility and a pair of Marantz DS-900. The fifth system is based on the Technics SU-G91 integrated and the JBL L100.

Last edited:
The gear in my "fun" rig hasn't changed much for the past six months or so. The only addition has been a Kenwood audio timer (adds convienience, not sonics so I don't really count it much), the only swap was to try out a new wiz-bang Denon Digital tuner with RDS (and that swap might end up being temporary, anyway). So, the pre, the amp, the speakers, and the CDP (no phono in the main system ATM) haven't had any turnover. My "audiophile" system hasn't had a single gear change in over a year. I suppose that both must point to a level of contentment.

That being said, I still pick up some gear and hit the thrifts quite regularily. Having "system nervana" at home does have it's advantages: I pass on many, many pieces that I would have eagerly rushed home to try. I do pick up a little bit of stuff (my wife would probably say a lot), but it's more because I find a piece interesting. I pass on a lot of decent solid-state stuff that I would have grabbed up a year or two ago in favor of vintage tube junkers (console pulls even) that I can play mad scientest with. I guess I always hold out the hope that I'll run across some sale and win the audio lottery or something, but these days it's more about curiosity than upgrading the system.

I bought a pair of speakers to get the 430 on line and was "content". Then I modded the KT-7500 and was "content". Then I repaired the SX-950 and substituted for the R1000 and was "content". Now I'm awaiting the arrival of a Sony STR-6060F to make me "content". This all in the last 2 months - what the hell is "content"? :scratch2:

i'm really damn near content with my rig, i just gotta make some nice 65-100 watt tube amps to go with them, my altec 19's, and 604's

Rock, I am in the same boat as you are. 2 weeks ago I stumbled onto a pair of 604 8G's in real nice 620 cabinets. I WANT TOOBS!!!! I am looking at getting a Jolida amp, and then hopefully a Bottlehead of some kind. So, for now, I am maladjusted to life and discontented. Hmmm, I wonder how long that would keep me satisfied?

Steve

grumpy said:
Still no replies by keeps gear less then a day, I mean WhiteSE. He must be busy buying more gear :)

LOL...oh sorry, I was caught up selling some gear I got this morning... :lmao:

but: My benny gear is still with me after more than one year...Good O'l Benny.... :yes:

I'm happy with my current system...

Krell MD10/Studio
Tubetech Genesis Monoblocks
ProAc Response 1SCs

Christ. Who wouldn't be with a system like that? Sure, there are better systems around but it all comes down to dimishing returns.

At the moment, although i'm not completely broke, I have to watch my finances as a change of curcumstances has meant me taking a lower paid job than I wouyld have liked. I've curbved my Audiophile tendences a great deal by cancelling my subscriptions tot he HiFi rags, and saying away from Audio stores.

I've also changed my preferences from CD to vinyl in a big way so I can spend £20 a month on perhaps 10-12 good LPs instead of spending £100-150 on the same amount of CDs.

Having forgotten about audiphile stuff like tweating to the nth degree and taking a step back from all that has allowed me to get more into the music than ever before. I work a lot of hours so what little time I have I spend enjoying the music rather than fiddling with tube bias, cables, speaker positiing and all the other mindless crap that gets in the way.

You don't need to spend $$$$ to have a high end system. Just a good pair of ears and a bit of common sense.

Back
Top Bottom