Who's fallen the furthest?

caddisgeek

sorry.......what?
We've all said it "I like their old stuff better than their new stuff", but who's highest highs has had equally high lows? The 'Stones come to mind, considering that they "were" the greatest rock'n'roll band on earth, but while their new stuff for the most part is just plain old crap, its been a gradual decline for about 35 years

The Stooges probably wont destroy their status of legends with last years diabolically bad "The Weirdness", mostly because nobody heard it

Lou Reed, a definite contender

David Bowie dosent matter what shit he releases, he's still the coolest man in rock, and he keeps you guessing "maybe the next one will be good, not Hunky Dory, good, but still good"

Micheal Jackson - enough said

Leaves me to my conclusion............

Stevie Wonder. I love everything he did up until "Songs in the Key of Life"
now he's just plain embaressing, makes it hard to sell to people not around in the early 70's nah really Stevies cool, "I Just Called to Say I Love You?" yeah right

Your thoughts?

One of the easy ones: Rod Stewart. He belted blues with Jeff Beck and really rocked with Faces, but then disco damnation. The Bee Gees suffered the same fate. Maybe later I can think of some that aren't quite as obvious.

Regards,

D-Ray

Stevie Wonder. I love everything he did up until "Songs in the Key of Life"
now he's just plain embaressing, makes it hard to sell to people not around in the early 70's nah really Stevies cool, "I Just Called to Say I Love You?" yeah right

Don't forget that Paul McCartney fell into that vat of syrup as well: "Ebony and Ivory" I get high blood sugar just thinking about it.

Regards,

D-Ray

Anyone doing commercials now to get a few bucks off their past glory has to be considered even if they don't make the final cut. Recent examples include Frampton & Meatloaf.

Clapton may be an exception to that, has still put out some reasonably good content in the last decade IMO. At least he did beer, which fits the genre.

One of the easy ones: Rod Stewart. He belted blues with Jeff Beck and really rocked with Faces, but then disco damnation. The Bee Gees suffered the same fate. Maybe later I can think of some that aren't quite as obvious.

Regards,

D-Ray

I second this post. A whole generation has forgotten about the Faces. Maybe two.
The Stones were done after Tattoo You.

There is so much to listen to that I have moved away from mainstream music.

Anyone doing commercials now to get a few bucks off their past glory has to be considered even if they don't make the final cut. Recent examples include Frampton & Meatloaf.

AAARRGGHH!!
YES!
When I heard Zep's seminal metal anthem "Rock 'n Roll" being used to sell Cadillacs, I knew this was the end of civilization as it was...
If ELP, Yes or Rush ever sell out, I think I'll just take my shoes off, hose down a concrete slab and grab hold of the B+ line in my old Hammarlund 145X.

Metallica. The heaviest of metal bands peaked in 1989 and have now become a parody of themselves. Completely sold out.

I second and third Metallica.. they used to be bad ass.. like Garage Days Revisited... they used to want people to pass around recordings so they would gain popularity... then they became egotistical ass holes, and shot their selves in the foot.. along with their music going to shit at the same time..

Billy Joel & Elton John. Really, who cares anymore.

Joel was great up to about 1980 and Elton lost me after about 1975.

Little River Band. they ain't the hit factory they were in the '70s and 80's, and their lead singer has been madly in love with himself as of late...:nono::thumbsdn::nono::thumbsdn:

The Rolling Stones.

Simply by staying together, they have become a parody of who they started out to be.

Where are Ted Nugent and Aerosmith?
Are they still around?

The Motor City Madman is still around and rockin' your a** off, he's coming this way in summer, still trying to talk DH into attending.

I 4th Metallica, seen them several times in the early 80's, gone down since they started doing songs you could play on the radio. Also, the Cars, Candy-O and Panorama are good, then it all started to sound the MTV same.:no:

Billy Joel & Elton John. Really, who cares anymore.

Joel was great up to about 1980 and Elton lost me after about 1975.

I just recently had the early Elton John LP, the eponymous one with just his name and his face emerging from blackness on the cover, spinning on the TT. Most of it is just one voice with a piano, and sometimes some strings... and there is some EXCELLENT music there. First Episode at Hienton, Sixty Years On... The man was a real artist, a troubadour, a writer and balladeer of rare talent... and then came the pop-schlocky stuff of later years, stuff like "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart". Blech!!!

Agreed about Billy Joel, too: Piano Man was alright, but some of the later stuff... :no:

Anyone care to comment on the many faces and phases of BOB DYLAN ?! Talk about how far the once mighty have fallen!

So many to choose from it is sad. I detest groups touring that have not produced new material in decades.

Lets see... "white rabbit" and "Somebody to love" to "we built this city" I can't think of a further fall than that.

Back
Top Bottom