Who's fallen the furthest?

Well, I'm not sure Carly Simon was ever in the top tier of musicianship when she was new, but since I'm still choking back bile from just listening to her brand new album...

I'm officially nominating it for "Worst Album of the Year--2008".

She wrote all the songs, and they're beyond bad. Embarrassingly bad. Cliche bad. One track is rap. Done by an old white woman. Older than me. With really bad rhymes.:no:

So many to choose from it is sad. I detest groups touring that have not produced new material in decades.

I just recently had the early Elton John LP, the eponymous one with just his name and his face emerging from blackness on the cover, spinning on the TT. Most of it is just one voice with a piano, and sometimes some strings... and there is some EXCELLENT music there. First Episode at Hienton, Sixty Years On... The man was a real artist, a troubadour, a writer and balladeer of rare talent... and then came the pop-schlocky stuff of later years, stuff like "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart". Blech!!!

Agreed about Billy Joel, too: Piano Man was alright, but some of the later stuff... :no:

Anyone care to comment on the many faces and phases of BOB DYLAN ?! Talk about how far the once mighty have fallen!

Thats what I'm talking about! Metallica, while once great and now crap are just that, CRAP, while others, Elton John, Stevie Wonder have almost destroyed any shred of credabilty they had with years of embarissing pus

Good ole Bob.........never made it past 1976 with him. He did desire and I never got into anything he did past that. Highway 61 Revisited is still my favorite.

Don't forget that Paul McCartney fell into that vat of syrup as well: "Ebony and Ivory" I get high blood sugar just thinking about it.

Regards,

D-Ray
Ya know, if you play "Silly Love Songs" backwards, you can hear Paul saying, "I wish I was dead...I wish I was dead." :D

While some would argue KISS was never "artistically credible" in the first place, the fact that Simmons deems it necessary to put the KISS logo on coffins, et al.
Shows how truly low the (arguably) once mighty can theoretically fall.

The Police thru the Sting efforts. The first two Police albums were their pinnacle imo and their other albums + Sting's later efforts took them two or three times the opposite direction....again, imo.

edit: I guess these are two distinct "bands" though....

Good ole Bob.........never made it past 1976 with him. He did desire and I never got into anything he did past that. Highway 61 Revisited is still my favorite.

While I agree that Dylan hasn't been what he used to be for quite a while, the last three or so albums have been better than moderatley good, IMO.

World Gone Wrong from the wasteland of his late 80's early 90's era, 92' I think, was an album I just stumbled upon. It can hold its own with some of his early stuff. Just him and guitar, though, I think it might be all covers of old blues/folk standards so it might not be able to count.

I could throw Paul Westerberg on this list.

Dylan as an artist I am ok with; his recent albums are quite enjoyable, with the understanding that he'll never hit the stratosphere like he did in the 60es again, but good music in today's teen wasteland.
It's his DJ'ing stint on digital radio that I don't get; the idea of that really makes me look for a rope and a beam.

Clapton brings out my split personality: on one hand, I see him as the 'British Millionaire with A Thousand Guitars still riffing Ol' Southern Blues' for people who never heard the originals, and on the other hand, I still sit back and tap my toes when he plays what is still some of the best easy-listening slide work around.

Meat Loaf wins a special award in this category. It isn't like there wasn't plenty of irony in 'Bat out of Hell' and the like, but the stuff had its own over-the-top integrity. Plus it rocked. Hard.
But to see the man who wailed about sex in the car and paradise by the dashboard light being the MC of a Republican fundraiser....you don't need new music to fall further than that :sigh:

C.

Well, I'm not sure Carly Simon was ever in the top tier of musicianship when she was new, but since I'm still choking back bile from just listening to her brand new album...

I'm officially nominating it for "Worst Album of the Year--2008".

She wrote all the songs, and they're beyond bad. Embarrassingly bad. Cliche bad. One track is rap. Done by an old white woman. Older than me. With really bad rhymes.:no:

I have her "best of" and you can hear her downhill slide...most of it is good...until you get to the ones with the drum machines and all that awful crap, every unoriginal musical cliche is then hers to explore. Same with Roberta Flack.

David Bowie dosent matter what shit he releases, he's still the coolest man in rock, and he keeps you guessing "maybe the next one will be good, not Hunky Dory, good, but still good"

I actually think some of Bowie's more recent albums are among his best. Heathen is one of my absolute favorite Bowie albums.

I actually think some of Bowie's more recent albums are among his best. Heathen is one of my absolute favorite Bowie albums.

THats what I mena about Bowie, and I didn't nominate him, I havent bought anything new from in since 1999's The Hours. The 1st (and only) single off that was"the pretty things are going to hell" and it was awesome, I bought the CD on the strength of that track and was bitterly dissapointed. Maybe I should be on the lookout for Heathen

I could pretty much forgive Dave anything

I know I am going to get a load for this, but Phil Collins got too commercial and predictable. Like The Eagles there was little feeling (read soul) in the music. I must be in the minority in both cases due to their popularity.

I know I am going to get a load for this, but Phil Collins got too commercial and predictable. Like The Eagles there was little feeling (read soul) in the music. I must be in the minority in both cases due to their popularity.

I think most people will be with you Billy, not to pick on Bowie again, but Lets Dance was his most commercially successful album, most would agree it's not a patch on Hunky Dory, Rise and Fall, Low etal

Commercial success and artistic credability rarely go hand in hand

THats what I mena about Bowie, and I didn't nominate him, I havent bought anything new from in since 1999's The Hours. The 1st (and only) single off that was"the pretty things are going to hell" and it was awesome, I bought the CD on the strength of that track and was bitterly dissapointed. Maybe I should be on the lookout for Heathen

I could pretty much forgive Dave anything

Yeah, Hours is actually a really weak album IMHO. Check out Heathen and Reality.

While I agree that Dylan hasn't been what he used to be for quite a while, the last three or so albums have been better than moderatley good, IMO.

World Gone Wrong from the wasteland of his late 80's early 90's era, 92' I think, was an album I just stumbled upon. It can hold its own with some of his early stuff. Just him and guitar, though, I think it might be all covers of old blues/folk standards so it might not be able to count.

I could throw Paul Westerberg on this list.

Westerberg is a survivor. Nobody ever said rock had a great retirement plan.

After listening to Loggins and Messina's On Stage lp over the last few days, I have to throw Kenny Loggins into this category.

His work with Jim Messina and a few others was great - Footloose sucked.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom