Who's Got The Most Complicated Signal Path?

No problems here, even hot switching the video. Maybe the particular player being used. I know my 980H is aimed more at the audio crowd - one nice feature is being able to kill the video entirely and reroute that processing power to the audio side.

What actually simplifies things a bit here is I use a completely separate system for video. There IS an interconnect between both systems, but I don't use it all that often. The only video on the audio system is for the HTPC and the Oppo player. That's just used for SACD and DVDa on that system, and the monitor is for the menus.

And ya ... the sKiZo thing ain't nuttin' new. My old road name. Folks found out I was Polish (hence the 'ski") and it wasn't long after they found out I was crazy, as in "zo" ... <G>

PS - had the license plate on the bikes for decades now ...

RatGrattan01.jpg

Good thing they're not interconnects. They would cost a fortune!

;)

It did give me pause when I was looking into upgrading the cables from the collection of cheepos and hand me downs I'd been using as I built the system. Those can get pretty expensive. I think I came up with a good option when going with Mogami's 3100 series. Excellent quality and no noticeable degradation ...

tapeloop-dbx200.jpg

Well Skitz, if I may call you that.
I DON`T run any combined HDMI video/audio signals here..
All are separated, whether the HT or decoded/stripped, if you will with in the current OPPO ULD-203, or the BRP-103 that preceded it utilizing the HDMI twin outputs(HDMI video only and HDMI audio only, + OPPO`s analog down mixed audio outputs for 5 room analog audio distribution ..
If all the down stream HDMI video splitter/distribution devices, in which there are 2 (one hard wired, and one RF) do not get the exact hand shake response/kick back, then the system considers the setup as a corrupt and a suspect environment, and the HDCP reacts by corrupting the picture in several different ways !!
The sound will play perfect...

I just have to sequence the activation of the remote room desired A/V systems and the player in the right order, and the embedded HDCP code will not think that I`m stealing copyrighted material..

It`s the price that I pay for the versatility that I desire in the HDMI/HDCP world..
And is not uncommon in HDMI/HDCP with multiple displays, according to what A/V venders have told me when I have conversed with them about the issues that I`ve had..

Sometimes, when I forget to play exactly by HDCP`s rules, it screws with me, but I`ve learned to just shut it all down and re toggle up everything back up, in the sequence that HDCP demands, and though a PITA, it always results in fully functioning remote multi display A/V systems..

Try my multi room complex HDMI type setup sometime, for some entertainment, if your feeling adventurous !!

OKB

No problems here, even hot switching the video. Maybe the particular player being used. I know my 980H is aimed more at the audio crowd - one nice feature is being able to kill the video entirely and reroute that processing power to the audio side.

What actually simplifies things a bit here is I use a completely separate system for video. There IS an interconnect between both systems, but I don't use it all that often. The only video on the audio system is for the HTPC and the Oppo player. That's just used for SACD and DVDa on that system, and the monitor is for the menus.

And ya ... the sKiZo thing ain't nuttin' new. My old road name. Folks found out I was Polish (hence the 'ski") and it wasn't long after they found out I was crazy, as in "zo" ... <G>

PS - had the license plate on the bikes for decades now ...

RatGrattan01.jpg

And I got it right, you did earn it, Skeeze. :D

Everything stacked in the middle was from one source.

That is completely awesome, DT! If all those are connected, do you ever play multiple speakers at the same time? I cringe thinking about you having to make cabling changes. My Wall of Sound is bad enough! Great job!

Dave

I did this sketch of my l/r a while back. Don't now if it really fits the topic, it's just stuff everywhere and not completely up to date.

LR.PNG

I was wondering about the heat from the window and stacking combination. It looks like maybe the big weight is on the bottom.
Still looks like way more stacking than I would be comfortable with. Weight, balance....not good. Heck, there is even a turn table on top of a speaker that is stacked on top of yet another speaker.

At one point I felt mine was really complicated (for me). I tried to simplify, but ended up staying with just a slightly less complicated setup lol. There were a few "reasons" that mine was complicated:

- my speakers use an "EQ" (KEF KUBE)
- my Stax earphones require a stereo amp to power them
- i had a tube amp that I wanted to be "optional" in the path or not
- using a subwoofer

All of this required an input selector to split the paths around vs through the tube amp.

So one path was like:

sources -> DAC -> RCA selector -> tube preamp -> KUBE -> amp -> Stax headphones-> subwoofer -> speakers

the other "path" was the same but eliminated the tube preamp

I went to a solid state preamp/DAC integrated and now it goes:

sources -> preamp/DAC -> KUBE -> amp -> speakers

I use the preamp's amplifier section (it's an integrated amp, a Peachtree Decco2) to power the headphones and the subwoofer.

I tried going simple, simple...sources -> integrated amp -> speakers. But these were small speakers (KEF LS50) and I ended up choosing the big speakers, which require a bigger amp and the "EQ" (KEF Kube).

I am really valuing simplicity these days, whenever possible. As long as I keep these speakers, it's never going to be REALLY simple, as it requires running separates and the "EQ." But if I can simplify everything else as much as possible, I will.

Still looks like way more stacking than I would be comfortable with. Weight, balance....not good. Heck, there is even a turn table on top of a speaker that is stacked on top of yet another speaker.

Who on earth puts a turntable on top of a speaker? Maybe he was hoping that the refurb from one speaker would cancel out the refurb from the other?

I also have that same equalizer. It's chassis isn't all that strong. I can promise you that things chassis is now bent. No question in my mind.

Who on earth puts a turntable on top of a speaker? Maybe he was hoping that the refurb from one speaker would cancel out the refurb from the other?
Don't worry, this was a temporary (1 week) stereo my buddy and I built for high school band camp. The Goal was too see how much we could fit in a dorm room. We know how terrible it was. Also, none of it was phased properly. lol.

This is the path to 20 receivers and 16 speakers.

Attachments

• P4220012.JPG
    P4220012.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom