Who's listening online? And with what?

Slacker - traditional blues channel.

Again, I'm impressed with the combination of a Squeezebox, T amp and PSB speakers. The sound is forgiving, which is required.

s.

I have a 10 year old Mac computer with an airport card. This goes wireless to an Airport Express that is plugged into the tuner input on my MC28 preamp. Goes through my MC2105 amp,: into Thiel 1.5 speakers. I listen to anything I want through Itunes off the Net. Great jazz &classical. Tried my cd player the other night and it sounded dull in comparison to the incredible sound of the Net music.:thmbsp:

I stream usually WFMT, BBC Radio 3 or Hober using Radioshift or Sirius using Pulsar to either my office MAudio BX5delux or to my living room via Airfoil to a Airport Express to a Maxim Mini Balanced to Bryston BP25 to Bryston B-4ST to Vandersteen 2CEs or to my bedroom via Airfoil to a Airport Express to my Luxman L-400 to Boston A-150s.

When I'm not listening to AM stereo... :D

(I've been busy with your tuner. If you need it back, please do let me know. So far, its performance is basically the same as my PRO1K. Tuning is touchier than on the PRO1K, although when the AMX2000 is tuned in, it seems to be far more stable.)

...I'm listening to Sirius/XM satellite radio via the online stream. It sounds the best on a first-gen iPod touch, so that's what I use. Most of the time I play it into the Realistic NOVA-6 speakers. I'm very happy with the sound.

u -

Glad you're enjoying the tuner. When you're done and it's out of rotation, ship back, but absolutely no hurry.

Thought of you this weekend. There was a McKay-Dymek on the bay that I wanted, but it began to jump in price and ended up way too rich for my blood.

s.

Couple of observations from the thread.

1.) Rogue Ameoba has become an important source of software for Mac-based users. I have licensed almost everything they make, and I agree with the other posters here. It's good stuff. I wish they would port to Windows.

2.) Old computers continue to have a place in this world. I'm guessing the cutoff is usually USB 2, though Orpheus brings a 10 year old Mac to the game.

3.) People aren't afraid to put their online/satellite signals into good systems. This surprises me somewhat, because as much as I like 'radio by other means' my experience is - put it on something forgiving.

s.

Here is a Squeezebox question:

Can you run a source directly to the Squeezebox and have it routed wirelessly? In other words, can someone directly hook up a CD player to one of these and have the signal transmitted? Or does the source have to been transmitted wirelessly some other way (ie computer or WiFi)?

Thanks!

Second of the two, if that.

I don't believe you can stream from a cd player at all.

Essentially, the Squeezebox is in the business of retrieving files from hard drives (or online radio) and outputting them through an amplifier or amplified speakers.

Now a Touch can have a usb drive hooked directly to it (though not, I believe, a usb cd drive) and you could use some kind of third party wireless device to send the signal out wirelessly, but it would be a kludge.

So, no.

s.

No.

Files must reside on your computer or hard drive and the native formats supported are:

AAC
AIFF
Apple Lossless
FLAC
HD-AAC
M4A
MP3
OGG
WAV
Windows Media

Here is a Squeezebox question:

Can you run a source directly to the Squeezebox and have it routed wirelessly? In other words, can someone directly hook up a CD player to one of these and have the signal transmitted? Or does the source have to been transmitted wirelessly some other way (ie computer or WiFi)?

Thanks!

Glad you're enjoying the tuner. When you're done and it's out of rotation, ship back, but absolutely no hurry.
I need to get off of my dead rear end and write up the second part of my review and commentary on the Meduci tuners. Suffice it to say that while I think they sound great, the tuning mechanism really lets them down. I don't regret having bought mine on the basis of sound, but I do wish Meduci stood behind its products better and that the tuning was better.

Oh...yeah! I almost forgot about this kit that I've been building and testing.

More on that later, in another post.

Thought of you this weekend. There was a McKay-Dymek on the bay that I wanted, but it began to jump in price and ended up way too rich for my blood.
I didn't even know about it. I'd like to find one of those tuners. My understanding is that they're quite good. Yet I don't really need another project or another piece of audio gear. Still, if I see one in a thrift store or in need of a home and the price is right...you can bet I won't turn it down.

And now, to avoid totally hijacking the thread...which is not my intention! :)

1.) Rogue Ameoba has become an important source of software for Mac-based users. I have licensed almost everything they make, and I agree with the other posters here. It's good stuff. I wish they would port to Windows.
They do have a port of their Airfoil software available, if that's what you are looking for. I'd kind of like to see some of their other titles made available for Windows as well.

2.) Old computers continue to have a place in this world. I'm guessing the cutoff is usually USB 2, though Orpheus brings a 10 year old Mac to the game.
And boy could I wax poetic about that one. I'll keep it simple, since it's not the subject here. "Compaq Deskpro EN" Great little computer systems.

USB 2.0 PCI cards are readily available AND dirt cheap. For the best results, use one with an NEC chipset, especially if you aren't running Windows!

3.) People aren't afraid to put their online/satellite signals into good systems. This surprises me somewhat, because as much as I like 'radio by other means' my experience is - put it on something forgiving.
Dunno. I would say that a good system should be adaptable to correct the shortcomings of program material that you're planning to put through it. Of course, some will differ with me on that point.

Couple of observations from the thread.

s.

As someone else said Airfoil is available for windows. But software houses seem to specialize. I'd like to see Forte Agent, JRiver and DBPoweramp available for Macs but it ain't going to happen.

No.

Files must reside on your computer or hard drive and the native formats supported are:

AAC
AIFF
Apple Lossless
FLAC
HD-AAC
M4A
MP3
OGG
WAV
Windows Media

So it seems that a Sonos system would be better for wireless streaming if one wanted to use a more traditional CD transport (or satellite radio?) as a source.

If your goal is to connect a CD player in one room and then have that streamed to another part of the house, yes the Sonos would be able to do that whereas the Squeezebox can't. However, keep in mind that you will not be able to remotely control the CD player from a different room.

However, if you use Macs, it's possible to do the same by using a Mac with an Airport Express. The Airport Express even has optical out so you can connect to a DAC.

The downside to both the Sonos and Mac solutions is that you can not control the CD player from a different room which is why playing audio files is so much more convenient on the Squeezebox or Sonos. Before I bought a Squeezebox, I used to use an Airport Express to stream music but it was a PITA because I would have to go back to the computer to make any changes to song selection or source.

So it seems that a Sonos system would be better for wireless streaming if one wanted to use a more traditional CD transport (or satellite radio?) as a source.

If your goal is to connect a CD player in one room and then have that streamed to another part of the house, yes the Sonos would be able to do that whereas the Squeezebox can't. However, keep in mind that you will not be able to remotely control the CD player from a different room.

However, if you use Macs, it's possible to do the same by using a Mac with an Airport Express. The Airport Express even has optical out so you can connect to a DAC.

The downside to both the Sonos and Mac solutions is that you can not control the CD player from a different room which is why playing audio files is so much more convenient on the Squeezebox or Sonos. Before I bought a Squeezebox, I used to use an Airport Express to stream music but it was a PITA because I would have to go back to the computer to make any changes to song selection or source.

Yes, I sort of figured there'd be a limitation like that, especially for a more traditional source like phono, tape, or sat radio. Just trying to marry old with new. I don't mind having to control the source directly, as long as volume for each room can be modulated remotely, which I think Sonos and Squeezebox both do.

Listen to WWOZ out of New Orleans playing Fats Domino. I am using really small speakers with inbuilt mini amps via usb and speaker out from computer. The sound is decent but not loud. I hope to get a Behringer interface so I can utilise the RCA input on my regular amp.
www.wwoz.org :thmbsp:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
:thmbsp: to WWOZ, a regular listener here when I can't find anything locally.

r n -

One of the many things I never got about reggae until the last couple of years was the influence, historically, of New Orleans radio. WWOZ is pretty wonderful.

Punker - what do you use to listen?

s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom