Who's listening online? And with what?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by satkinsn, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

I’ll chime in on this subject as I am fairly new to music on the net, but am very interested as it seems to be the only place you can find what you like anymore.
    I see this is an old thread and you guys have prolly beat it to death (I’ll go back and start reading) but I like the subject.
    Backstory is I like old stuff, drive old cars, listen to old stereo and am old (ish) myself (63) so I’m late to the digital party but dig it.
    Here in LA where I live we recently lost our last descent classic rock station. Now what. I started searching the net for what to do and low and behold there’s a world out there (kidding).
    My system is Apple airport express to Schiit Audio DAC to Marantz 2270 and a Fisher 800 (I have them on a switcher) to Klipsch Forte IIs
    I have been lately finding apps that are pretty great as far as what I like. An example would be Morow.com it’s a prog rock station.
    Love it.
    I don’t know anything about bits, bytes, and compression yet but am learning.
    As I said I’ll go back and read the thread and will happily research any advice given.
    Thanks
    Crap I just remembered, I’m only getting internet radio to my car stereos using blue tooth so I can’t get it into my home stereo described above yet.
    Guess I’ll go to another thread and ask how to get that done. As of now I only have Apple Music stuff into the home deal.
    Told you I was new.

Last edited: May 4, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. curtpenn

curtpenn Member

Sounds as if we are in a similar place. I started with an ultra-cheap bluetooth receiver attached to my Concept 3.5 (as preamp) and then to Kenwood L-07 amps to Infinity Quantum 2 speakers. Sounded surprisingly good and was so simple. Next, I replaced the bluetooth with a used Airport Express from eBay and figured out how to use an old iPhone or Macbook, or iMac to stream using iTunes or Amazon Music. And last week I picked up a Schiit Bifrost DAC locally from Craig's List to convert instead of relying on the AE's DAC. You should be able to use a smart phone to stream to your AE/DAC. I just added the Morow.com app to my phone and plan on listening on the way home. Thanks!

3. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Radio Deluxe with John Pizzarelli from WAMC->Sonos->QUAD ESL-63s. Bill Evans right now...

4. ldatlof

ldatlof We are all steak Subscriber

BBC Radio 6 on the living room (more like an office) system.

5. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Found this great donation supported station, The Jazz Groove. Listening in the car via their app.

2A679460-C7B1-47B0-A78F-954331A224F6.png

6. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn videos this evening...

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

For those that are tired of the same 300 songs on classic rock radio. Lots of live tracks and things you haven’t heard from popular artists.
    http://70srock.xyz/