Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Thanks for asking.

Right now the Coast to Coast AM show, on a new local FM talk station which replaced an AM station that was sold. Earlier this evening it was the super clean KCBX NPR @ San Luis Obispo, Ca. Main Carrier F is translated locally (65 Mi. SSE of SLO, on 95.1 MHz, 10 watts ERP) located somwhere up in the local hills.

FM broadcast as a media would have a big resurgence if every station was as clean sounding and processed with minimum audio compression.

FM broadcast received by my Pioneer TX-9500 II tuner. Formerly owned by, and presumably modified by the Late, Great James Bongiorno.

Cleaning up the workbench, listening to WKCR-FM 89.9 on the dial.
Todays show features the 1958 work of Miles and Trane with Bill Evans and Cannnonball Adderley.
Sound and reception is outstanding from 'The Fisher' Series 80. Mono,of course.

Inspired by this thread, I dug the little Sansui TU-217, the baby of my tuner family, out of the closet yesterday.

Listening to KINK FM 101.9 tonight, with an NAD 3150 doing the driving through my restored/reimagined JBL L36 Decades while I apply some Howard's Restore-A-Finsh to a pair of Wharfedale W60Ds. Even with just a cheap Radio Shack dipole, the signal strength meter is at a solid 4.7. This simple little no frills bottom-of-the-line Sanui tuner sounds pretty darn nice. It makes a cute partner for the for the little, but deceptively powerful NAD.

Sansui_TU-217_1.jpg

Sansui_TU-217_2.jpg

Sansui_TU-217_3.jpg

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, I dug the little Sansui TU-217, the baby of my tuner family, out of the closet yesterday.

Listening to KINK FM 101.9 tonight, with an NAD 3150 doing the driving through my restored/reimagined JBL L36 Decades while I apply some Howard's Restore-A-Finsh to a pair of Wharfedale W60Ds. Even with just a cheap Radio Shack dipole, the signal strength meter is at a solid 4.7. This simple little no frills bottom-of-the-line Sanui tuner sounds pretty darn nice. It makes a cute partner for the for the little, but deceptively powerful NAD.
Is this one with no back light?
I had one and matching integrated machine and sold or gave away can not remember? ; - (
JJ

Is this one with no back light?
I had one and matching integrated machine and sold or gave away can not remember? ; - (
JJ

Yes, that's correct. The TU-217 was Sansui's entry level model at the time. You had to move up to the TU-317 too get the lighted dial. The TU-317 is the exact same tuner, except for the lights, and much less common than the TU-217. That said, unless the room is completely dark, I don't find seeing the dial a problem. There is enough contrast to read the dial even in dim light.

This little tuner has a simple elegance, in both appearance and internals. I think that simplicity accounts for the surprisingly good sound. Evidently, it's also an easy model upgrade/mod for DIYers. I'm probably going to move it along to someone else, as I also have a TU-717 and TU-919, but for now, I'm enjoying this little guy.

Yes, that's correct. The TU-217 was Sansui's entry level model at the time. You had to move up to the TU-317 too get the lighted dial. The TU-317 is the exact same tuner, except for the lights, and much less common than the TU-217. That said, unless the room is completely dark, I don't find seeing the dial a problem. There is enough contrast to read the dial even in dim light.

This little tuner has a simple elegance, in both appearance and internals. I think that simplicity accounts for the surprisingly good sound. Evidently, it's also an easy model upgrade/mod for DIYers. I'm probably going to move it along to someone else, as I also have a TU-717 and TU-919, but for now, I'm enjoying this little guy.
I had one just could not remember the model just came out when down sized components were trending
Can not remember amp model either but was common to be sold as a pair
Very decent
That tuner is good one no matter where it was in line up easy to make more quiet too
Easy to see or not no lamps made no sense from company like Sansui! : - )
JJ

I had one just could not remember the model just came out when down sized components were trending
Can not remember amp model either but was common to be sold as a pair
Very decent
That tuner is good one no matter where it was in line up easy to make more quiet too
Easy to see or not no lamps made no sense from company like Sansui! : - )
JJ

I think what made even less sense was to have a lineup of five different tuners. Given that they did, they needed some way to differentiate them. So, they had the TU-317 with lights and the exact same tuner without lights in the TU-217. I don't know what the selling prices were at the time, but evidently, they sold a LOT more of the TU-217. I guess people looking at entry level tuners were very price conscious.

I think what made even less sense was to have a lineup of five different tuners. Given that they did, they needed some way to differentiate them. So, they had the TU-317 with lights and the exact same tuner without lights in the TU-217. I don't know what the selling prices were at the time, but evidently, they sold a LOT more of the TU-217. I guess people looking at entry level tuners were very price conscious.
Who knows now we never will but light bulbs for a radio scale pretty basic! ; - )
Difference in 5 models internal gangs front end etc
Lamps no lamps just odd
JJ

The TU-317 and AU-217II I had was a sweet-sounding combination (the MkII giving 10-extra watts/channel over the original to 40). I had a TU-217 as well but replaced it with the 317 .... primarily as it matched the styling of the MkII a bit better, was in better cosmetic condition ... and when the TU-317 popped up for sale with the rack handles that my TU-217 lacked I pounced. Why did I sell it? Downsizing at the time and enjoying my AU-777 better. I've since picked up a TU-555 for it.

AU-217II_TU-317_zpsdav1cfex.jpg

My main amp right now is a AU-7700 and I have the matching TU-7700 ... the pair having been in the family since new. Unfortunately I don't have room in my rack right now for the tuner, so I can't report listening to anything ... but if I did it would probably be 92.9 KISM Classic Rock out of Bellingham, WA.

... they had the TU-317 with lights and the exact same tuner without lights in the TU-217. I don't know what the selling prices were at the time, but evidently, they sold a LOT more of the TU-217. I guess people looking at entry level tuners were very price conscious.

They probably didn't even notice the lack of lights until they got it home! It was probably purely a $ thing.

FMtunerinfo.com has the TU-217 at $190 and the TU-317 at $240, both in 1978 ... the TU-417 at $275 (1980) and the TU-517 at $300 (1978). I suspect someone buying a AU-217 at the time wouldn't normally gravitate to the 417 or 517 tuner due to the size difference. If they had the money they probably would have upgraded on the amp as well.

And don't forget there was also a AU-117 (15 wpc) and AU-117II (25 wpc) that would have been paired-up with the TU-217. There was no TU-117.

Listening to "Night Tides" from KCUR-FM 89.3 Mhz in Kansas City
Recorded last evening on my "poor man's" reel-to-reel (Hi-Fi VCR)
4 hours of Ambient/New Age/ Electronica/Meditation type music

Back
Top Bottom