Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

104.9 XLNC1 ... Classical http://www.xlnc1.org/index.php

Yamaha T2

Once again... Same ol' same ol'

Not getting good reception this morning

image.png

Last edited:
I'd listen to Jazz exclusively if I could find a station that plays more than two hours of it a week. The Classical station plays "Grandma approved Blue Hair" Classical Top 40 so, except for 'Pipe Dreams" and a Film Score show, there's not a lot of "excitement" there. Every once in awhile, when they turn the lights down and consume a Tic Tac, they'll play "Night On Bald Mountain". Then it's back to Handel and Vivaldi. Oh, and Arcangelo Spumoni. Can't forget about him....If I use Elmo ceramic wonder filters, I can sometimes pull in WOOF, Hoople..... ; - ).

This morning I am listening to Frank Consola's 88 Jazz Place Morning Edition on WDNA 88.9. He is playing his usual eclectic mix of Jazz genres. I am using my trusty Magnum Dynalab Ft-101 (the original) with an ST-2 stashed in a closet. The transmitter is about 20 miles south of me on the tallest tower in South Florida at 1,802 feet.

Listening to 101.9 KINK FM on my Akai AT-V04 with a Thule IA100 driving a 3D Acoustics 3D610W three piece speaker system:

Akai_Philips_Thule_1.jpg

Akai_Philips_Thule_2.jpg

The antenna is a BIC Beam Box FM10 tucked away inside the teak Danish Modern credenza. Not the ideal location for an antenna, but I am close enough to the transmitter that signal strength meter on the Akai is pegged.

Last edited:
A miserable rainy day with outstanding reception! Enjoying 'The Blues Break' on WBGO-FM 88.3.
Celebrating the music of Magic Slim born Morris Holt 8/7/1937. Helped define the electric Chicago blues scene.
In mono on this.image.jpeg

A miserable rainy day with outstanding reception! Enjoying 'The Blues Break' on WBGO-FM 88.3.
Celebrating the music of Magic Slim born Morris Holt 8/7/1937. Helped define the electric Chicago blues scene.
In mono on this.View attachment 981516

Holy cow! That is a gorgeous tuner. What is the model number?

Today I am home with a cold, working on the computer and listening to KCSM on the redoubtable old Stromberg-Carlson

speaker_after.JPG

Hey dyche
The Fisher Series 90 Gold Cascode is Model FM-90 X.
All the tubes marked Fisher, same date codes. A console pull along with a 90C pre and 100 amp.
A true time capsule find!

Last edited:
It's a hot and muggy afternoon here in South Florida, so I am listening to Melodious Mel Lipton playing an excellent mix of traditional jazz and big band music on 88.9 WDNA next to my beautiful wife. Every Saturday from 4 to 8PM he can be found.

I am listening via my Magnum Dynalab FT-101 and a Nobsound passive preamp to a partially modified Magnavox 185AA. The speakers are 27 year old Celestion 3's. The antenna is an ST-2 in a second floor closet.

Ed

Listening to some Jazz on KANU 91.5 mhz in Lawrence KS
The Is the Univ of Kansas public radio station
They play lots of Jazz, the evening show is always interesting

Using the tuner section of an Optimus STAV-3350 - TOTL in the early 90's

Last edited:
Listening to Hamlet on my Pioneer F-757 mk-ii until 10 minutes ago when the whole fm band got overloaded by something and now I hear only buzzing and what seems to be medium baud data transmissions. Tuners. To listen? Or not to listen? That is the question.

Tonight I am listening to Hampton University's jazz station, WHOV FM 88.1.
The tuner is a Technics ST-7300, feeding the AUX input of a Sherwood S-7100A and Infinity Entra II tower speakers.
In all, a very modestly spec'd system.

The tuner is a thrift store find, a modest piece from the late 70s, and in a very good state of alignment.
It's a very cleanly styled thing, which is a good performer. I really like it.
A set of old rabbit ears works great as the antenna.

The ST-7300 is very different in appearance from the Sherwood, but the two are the same width, and they sound great together.
The fat warmth of the Sherwood is a good match for the 'smooth jazz' show playing now, especially at low volume levels.

That Sherwood by itself is no slouch either. Great tuner in the box.
But the Technics is more fun to look at.

P1010608.png

Back
Top Bottom