Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Old_Tech, Nov 26, 2009.

1. red 111

red 111 Active Member

listening to WBGO 88.3 Newark,NJ....dont use this tuner much,but it sounds very good NAD 402 tuner...PS Audio 5.6 pre ....Adcom 535II amp ....AudioPrism 6500 antenna IMG_1321.JPG speakers....POLK Audio monitor 5B

musichal likes this.
  2. JRhoBurton

JRhoBurton In The Listening Room on the Edge of Forever Subscriber

Red, White, and Blues program on KRCL SLC, UT. Currently playing Do What You Like by Blind Faith. NAD 4020A. "Have you got the information?"
    rps20170923_111022.jpg

musichal, red 111 and 91r100gs like this.
  3. rkgren1

rkgren1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am listening to some "smooth jazz" on WHOV (Hampton Univ.), using a Sansui 771 that loves a pair of rabbit ears. Right now it is hooked to some little JBL J50 bookshelf speakers.
    I just turned the volume way down and engaged the loudness to even things out a bit.
    Good night.

musichal and JRhoBurton like this.
  4. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I'm listening to classic rock over my Sangean DT-160 driving Sony budget MDR-110ZX headphones. With better options all around me. And enjoying the hell out of it. Go figure.

sangeandt160.jpg sonyheadph.jpg

This transistor-sized model has 10 FM presets, five AM, DSP tuning, wide/narrow bandwidth, a timer, mono/stereo switch and, best of all, is simple to operate. The sound is too lean, but it has a bass boost that works okay (a bit overblown, imo) for rock and some jazz. Reception is its strong point, and I love this little $35 tuner. No speaker, headphone only, and the 'phone is the only antenna option. I bought both items in white, looks good.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    JRhoBurton likes this.
  5. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

92.1 KTLB "The eagle" Classic Rock station here in town. On a "new to me" Marantz 2100.

musichal, JRhoBurton and mgkfifty like this.
  6. fiddlefye

fiddlefye AK Subscriber Subscriber

Listening to jazz on my usual station, WRCJ 90.9 Detroit. Magnus Dynalab FT-101A.

7. DigitalDad

DigitalDad AK Subscriber Subscriber

Saturday Night Blues, CBC Radio2 89.9FM, Sansui TU-217.

8. satkinsn

satkinsn low end audio Subscriber

'Jazz Night in America," NCPR, the little Sony. 88.9 in my little town. Not through my main stereo; just for fun I dug out my Trends Audio T-amp and a pair of JohnBlue 3 single driver speakers. The JohnBlues can be incredibly lifelike with some kinds of music - female vocals - but maybe not great in this context. Gonna listen some more.

s.

9. rkgren1

Listening to WTYD FM 92.3 out of Williamsburg VA.

Using a Pioneer SX-1000TW.

musichal likes this.
  10. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

Used to be able to hear these guys in Richmond, until 92.1 turned their IBOC hash
    back on. They didn't appear to stream for the longest time, but I see now they do,
    so thanks for getting me to find out!

Do you ever listen to WCWM? (when they actually broadcast :))

11. rkgren1

Ken,
    I had never heard of WCWM.
    I did not know the college had a station.
    Makes sense though.
    I will give them a try.

Thanks,
    Ray

12. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

Doesn't look like they're on the air presently. They've been increasingly
    erratic the last few years.

13. rkgren1

Their website has a mention that they are looking for DJs
    Perhaps it is difficult to get a 20 yr-old interested in radio these days.

14. webdog2010

webdog2010 Member

Sitting outside, listening to 101 The Fox, Kansas City, on a little Panasonic table radio I picked up free a while back. They are playing a lot of Tom Petty tonight. Just seems a bit unreal still.

kryten79, musichal and 91r100gs like this.
  15. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

It's still the little XDR-F1HD, not one of the sexy vintage choices, but remarkably good (esp. since the moewillis recap) and playing very nicely indeed with the new amp and Khorns. I owe owning this tuner to being an AK member. Read about it here back when new ones were under a c-note, ordered it, and had it modded by hanging around here. Just so I could slide into Nirvana tonight listening to Sleeper's Awake on KUCO, 90.1, OKC.

91r100gs likes this.
  16. lissenup

lissenup Active Member

Tribute to The Hip on CBC2 Vancouver.

17. amptramp

amptramp Active Member

CMTZ 97.7 in St. Catharines was playing the complete discography of the Tragically Hip all yesterday and I was listening on a TEAC MC-D80.

18. satkinsn

satkinsn low end audio Subscriber

Most people on this side of the river have no idea just how important the Hip were/are to Canada's cultural life. They're from Kingston, which is maybe 60 miles from where I sit (and a beautiful place!) and they played a huge show in my little town back in 2011. That they didn't catch fire in the States is puzzling to a lot of people.

s.

19. kryten79

kryten79 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I miss KC and the radio stations. There is a much wider selection now than the low low period of the 80s and 90s. The bridge, 90.9 (incidentally run by a guy I was in school with) plays local groups like the Nace Bros. Very refreshing now-a-days.

I find the lack of original FM programming to be inexplicable in the D.C. area. I can find two hours here and there of special programming, jazz, blues on a couple of stations. Otherwise, it's all corporate computer programming.

Incidentally, I stumbled across Crap from the Past at the wayback machine. Ron "Boogiemonstoer" Gerber has been playing oldies (albeit with a bunch of bad disco) since the early 80s. He's STILL broadcasting (Crapfromthepast.com) now on KFAI in Minneapolis/St. Paul on Friday Nights, 10-12. I obviously cannot listen live so I download the show and listen to it mostly while driving. So refreshing to NOT hear the same songs 20 times a week.

I have a Pioneer TX-9500ii feeding an SA-7500ii and HPM-100s. I have a TX-9500 just sitting. Looking to get an antenna installed soon. Am considering dropping Comcast when contract is up and am thinking I'll try to put a Channel Master antenna with rotor in the attic for OTA TV and FM. If that doesn't work, I'll move it outside. Suggestions for 40 miles across a 40 degree arc with a lot of interference and close channel spacing?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  20. GearHead454

GearHead454 Still Lost Subscriber

KEXP, swinging doors
    2017-10-26 20.01.41.jpg

DC likes this.