1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Old_Tech, Nov 26, 2009.

1. cnyel1967

cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

96.3 Columbus, OH....classic/current Rock...see pic for tuner info.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

Love that Accuphase stuff.. Always wondered why they didn't blue tint the meters on the amp.

3. jcmusic

jcmusic Well-Known Member

Scott LT 110-B tube tuner!!! Sounding great now...

4. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

Listening to my local NPR station, WHRO 89.5.
    The show is "The Fish Fry", swing music.
    I am using a fully-refurbished Sansui 771 receiver, driving a new-to-me pair of Realistic Optimus-1 speakers.
    It's a nice way to spend a Saturday evening.

MiamiEd likes this.
  5. Pilgrims

Pilgrims New Member

Listening to my favorite FM station LifeGate 105.1 near Milan, Italy.
    My wonderful Accuphase T107b is litterally singing. Nice, very nice.

FauxHall and MiamiEd like this.
  6. keilau

keilau AK Member

Which Sony model is this? Thanks.

7. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Sony ST-3000ES.

Just sold it to a little old lady in Dubai.

8. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

KINK FM 101.9 - Portland, OR on my trusty, cosmetically challenged Sansui TU-717, playing through a pair of KEF 104/2 speakers driven by a Thule IA100 integrated amp.

I just moved into a new place this week, several miles south of Portland, and set up my bedroom system after dinner tonight. I'm much further from the local transmitters than I was at my last place. I was worried about reception, but am relieved it's not an issue. The trusty TU-717 is pulling in my two favorite stations (KINK 101.9 and KNRK 94.7) with a nice clean signal at 4.7 - 4.8 on the signal strength meter with just a BIC Beambox FM10 for an antenna.

I continue to be amazed and impressed by this particular TU-717. I've owned, and sold other highly regarded, and more expensive tuners (Sansui TU-919, properly aligned, but unmodded, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A, Kyocera T-910, etc.), but this ugly duckling TU-717 (dropped on its face by a previous owner), beat them all in terms of sound quality. Based on the fact that the RCA output jacks are non-original, snazzy looking gold plated things, I suspect it's been internally modded by a prior owner. Someday soon, I need to open it up and replace the burned out lamps (4 of 5). It will be interesting to see what, if any, mods have been done to it, but regardless, it remains the best sounding (if not best looking - the Magnum Dynalab wins that contest by a wide margin) tuner I have ever heard.

Based on the incredible sound quality, I am perfectly willing to forgive the previous owner for the cosmetic damage. It really only needs the dial glass replaced and it will be fine. The bottom front corner of the face plate is also smashed a bit, but in the equipment rack, it's not really noticeable.

Just spun the dial over to KNRK FM 94.7 listening to Lay it on Me by Vance Joy. Sounds pretty darn great.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  9. montrecott

montrecott Grits, gravy and groove Subscriber

The Blues Show on 89.3 WNUR Northwestern University on the Yamaha CT-800. They're playing some excellent Christmas songs, like James Brown's "Santa Claus, Go Straight to the Ghetto." Amen!

39cross likes this.
  10. zenith2134

zenith2134 Addicted Member

Hey all, let's drum up some love for FM.. It can still be wonderful, even in a crowded market!
    Tonight, I have fired up one of my secondary systems, and it has a good tuner...
    It may also represent one of the best values in all of audio:
    Harman Kardon HK385i receiver, mid eighties.
    Yeah, it is cheap looking and not in the more desirable champagne color, but; the FM stereo reception is quite respectable, having a weighted analog flywheel paired with LED tuning meter and muting stage. Sensitivity is listed at 1.7uV.
    The linestage has -3db points at 0.5Hz and 150kHz, Is an honest 33wpc at 8 ohms both channels driven, 20Hz-20kHz, and uses 2SA1264 and 2SC3181 output devices which are coveted Toshiba. They claim this unit can swing 15A 'high current instantaneous' output current.. "Lol"

Currently playing Eddie Trunk metal show at 104,3 MHz.

Attached Files:

montrecott likes this.
  11. 39cross

39cross AK Subscriber Subscriber

This was formerly my tuner, too bad I didn't know you were on AK. Lovely tuna, glad it all turned out well!

We're listening to WBUR-Boston on my jack-of-all-trades Onkyo T-9090II.

montrecott likes this.

12. malden

malden Addicted Member

13. Putterman

Putterman Super Member

Currently listening to WVCR Contemporary Jazz show run Midnight to 2AM Sunday morning on Sansui TU-S77AMX tuner. Awesome:thumbsup:

14. montrecott

montrecott Grits, gravy and groove Subscriber

Small world. ;) You were great to deal with.

39cross likes this.
  15. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Listening to Merry KINKmas on KINK-FM 101.9 Portland, OR. Currently playing Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen.

Modded Sansui TU-717 tuner -> Thule Audio IA100 integrated amplifier -> KEF 104/2 Reference Series speakers.

16. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

I had a dear lady friend over Christmas Eve to cook and share dinner. I had "Dinner Jazz" playing from Abu Dhabi Classic FM, my favorite program. I texted the DJ with a request and a dedication.

A bit later the DJ put on my request "Tea for Two," sung by Frank Sinatra and Dinah Shore, and announced "This is for Emily from Joseph," my lady's eyes started to twinkle and she gave me a big kiss.

Try that with Spotify!

JamVal and MCM_Fan like this.

17. gregswaim

gregswaim Neutral Organic Sound

KXT 91.7 FM Dallas/Ft.Worth
    tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD 90t

OutlawSun likes this.
  18. tshrew

tshrew Active Member

97.5 WWWV Charlottesville, Va from Nokesville, Va.
    Sansui 350A and 300 ohm antenna. My outdoor Ham antennas don't have the directionally or perhaps too much coax loss. IMG_20180104_000908.jpg

19. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

I was listening to classical 90.5 out of Mid Michigan most of the evening... the PD6's are pretty good for some Classical music

20. aabottom

aabottom Swing

Yeah, I find that my folded dipole antenna (300 ohm) from RadioShack beats most indoor antennas I've tried, even if I have to use a balun (300 ohm => 75 ohm) for modern receivers with no 300 ohm feed.