Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Old_Tech, Nov 26, 2009.

1. aabottom

aabottom Swing

Yeah, I find that my folded dipole antenna (300 ohm) from RadioShack beats most indoor antennas I've tried, even if I have to use a balun (300 ohm => 75 ohm) for modern receivers with no 300 ohm feed.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

For some reason, in my use, I personally find that rabbit ears work better than the dipoles.
    The ability to play with the orientation really helps to increase signal strength.
    They are NOT an attractive addition to room decor, but form follows function.

3. Teddy White

Teddy White Member

Couldn't agree more. Currently, my rabbit ears are perched on a stack of books atop a 6' bookshelf,with the ears spread out just below and almost parallel to the ceiling...because that seems to be the only available spot where any station below 5-bar signal strength will come in with a tolerable amount of static. It's bad when I live exactly halfway between the two transmitters of the local NPR affiliate & can't get above a 3-bar reading on either frequncy.

4. OutlawSun

OutlawSun Active Member

My Pioneer TX-9500II is pretty much almost exclusively on 91.7 kxt in Dallas. It’s by far the best station around.

5BFC200C-E7A5-4F31-ACED-78C8EEEDFD39.jpeg

lokerola, gregswaim and montrecott like this.
  5. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

Listening to jazz on my local public radio station, WHRO.
    Sherwood S7100-A receiver, driving little JBL J50 bookshelf speakers.
    Presently the antenna on this system is a piece of speaker wire with one lead attached to the receiver and the other wrapped around the doorknob.
    It's working well enough.
    The little Sherwood has a fine tuner in it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Teddy White likes this.
  6. lissenup

lissenup Active Member

CBC Radio2 on the Pioneer TU-9100. C3A90E9E-ED4B-490D-9C0F-97A88AB8103A.jpeg

montrecott likes this.
  7. 59volvo

59volvo Well-Known Member

kalw - Afropop World Wide foobar>u-control>sherwood s-7200

8. jcmusic

jcmusic Well-Known Member

Now the new to me Kenwood KT 5020 tuner!!!

gregswaim likes this.
  9. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

All night to classical NPR station over the little moewillis-modded Sony HD in my sig system. SQ better than most streaming stations I find.

10. gregswaim

gregswaim Neutral Organic Sound

It's a great station for sure. I also listen to JackFM(100.3- 80's top 40), WRR(101.1- this is the best sonically in my opinion but I also like classical music), and KZPS( 92.5- classic rock)

Nice vintage receiver you have! ;)

11. gregswaim

gregswaim Neutral Organic Sound

IMG_20180113_175957966_LL.jpg

KKXT 91.7 FM Public Radio Dallas, Texas
    Tuner: McIntosh MR74 AM/FM stereo tuner

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    FauxHall likes this.
  12. JonL

JonL AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've been using a Hitachi FT-8000 for the last couple of years. Last week I installed this "omnidirectional" antenna on the ceiling in a closet near the tuner. Huge difference in reception from the dipole I'd been struggling with. The antenna is advertised as "omnidirectional," but there is one direction in which the gain falls off some. The tuner has a neat "multipath" button, which mutes the regular signal and allows only the multipath reception to come through. (Not sure if I'm using the terminology correctly, but you get the point.) I was able to rotate the antenna to minimize the multipath and I get a nice strong signal on all the stations I listen to. Stations are WCWP, a college station a few miles away with a very weak signal. I'm close to the edge of reception here when I'm in my car, but this antenna pegs the meter (err... lights all the LEDs). Also listen to WFDU / WNYU (shared frequency for Farleigh Dickenson University in NJ and NYU in NYC), WKCR (Columbia University), WFUV, WNYC, and one more who's call letters I can't remember.

The antenna was very inexpensive on Amazon.

IMG_2524.jpg

13. Ikura

Ikura AK Subscriber Subscriber

Tonight’s project, Sansui 7070, Bob Seger, Turn the Page, 105.3 The Shark

Attached Files:

gregswaim likes this.
  14. ic-racer

ic-racer Well-Known Member

I see that the nice Pioneer SX828 I just fixed up has a nice FM tuner. I tried it but it does not play music :( Got so annoying, I had to shut it off after just a few minutes.

15. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

Listening to KNKX 88.5 Jazz from Seattle/Tacoma on a SDRplay RSP1A using SDRuno.

16. 59volvo

59volvo Well-Known Member

how do you like the SDR? how does it compare to say the sony xdr-f1hd (if you have used one)?

17. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

SDRs in general, combined with the right software, are pretty darn amazing devices but the RSP1A is actually audiophile quality IMHO. It is probably the first affordable 14 bit reciever and with the free software becomes a very powerful radio wave capturing device. If you have a difficult channel to lock in, if this little guy won’t do it, I don’t know what will. The sound quality is also very dependent on the quality of your DAC which is required to process the signal once it becomes digital. The Sony xdr is a fine hybrid digital tuner but not as versatile without the computer SDR application. SDRs are 100% digital in signal processing and require a computer and digital analog converters. Also, the Sony is limited by its own internal converter which probably does not compare to the DAC you may already own.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

18. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

MX114 this evening WDAV Charlotte NC. 002.JPG   Mac.JPG

Teddy White and gregswaim like this.
  19. joerockhead

joerockhead New Member

Local Community radio station in Eastern Maine, the show is called Daydream Nation, check it at WERU.org. I am listening on a Lloyd's solid state stereo tuner with 8 track. It is the only tuner I have now that is currently operating. My 2 Pioneer units have both failed on me.

20. cnyel1967

cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

96.3 Columbus, OH - Pioneer F90