Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

KT-80.jpg
WXPN at the moment, via Kenwood KT-80 which made me realize something was amiss with my Yamaha T-2 which is now on queue at Punker X's test bench.:)

Today it was some Christmas music on the River, 101.5 on my Marantz 110 Turner with power antenna and then to a Marantz 1090 integrated amp and out a set of JBL L-100's.

trilogy on 88.9 kxlu los angeles on a sony xdr-f1hd forced analog by mike w. (not mine, pic for attention)
1995929-sony-xdrf1hd-hd-tuner-realigned-amp-upgraded.jpg

Slightly OT, but driving out of Binghamton NY yesterday, WHRW-FM. Fascinating station, operated by students at Binghamton University. According to Wikipedia, it adopted a free form format back in the late 60s and has never wavered. I listened for a good half hour before the signal broke up and heard jazz, funk, some MOR, some hard-to-describe foreign stuff, all mashed together. None of it announced, which was a drawback IMHO, but still, daring radio. Fun, and I'll listen more.

The Wikipedia page on the station is a good read, BTW.

s.

KGON 92.3 FM Portland Oregon on my office system Pioneer TX-9100 tuner using a ceiling mounted Modified Cubic Quad antenna.

Station is 38 air miles away showing 4.3 on the signal strenght meter right now.

Sound is as always very nice. Amplification via Pioneer SG-7500 Spectrum Anaylzer/EQ and Pioneer SA-9100 60wpc Amp completely restored by AK's OWN Tarior at The Speaker Magnate in Kelso, WA. And on to my Pioneer HPM-60 speakers.
I had a TX-9100 and kind of wish I still did, but you can't keep them all... To me, it both looked and sounded great.

I've been enjoying some Christmas jazz this past week on 90.9 WDCB Chicago. Listening to the Sony XDR-F1HD on system one and the Pioneer TX-9800 on system two.

How do you like that tuner so far ? that is a super rare tuner in the U.S

Hi PabloTincho

I cannot tell about DXing. I'am just aware of this experiments by a German :

As far as I am concerned, the T-9000 is truly an excellent tuner for local reception. I used to use a Denon TU-S10, an Yamaha T-2, and Grundig T-7500, ST-6000 and the T-9000 with a simple outdoor omnidirectionnal antenna.The T-9000 is, with the ST-6000, the tuner that catches the more signals.

In stereo, the T-9000 is very quiet, with outstandingly good bass and good treble and an overall warm and charming sound.

And the ergonomics is the best I ever come across.

Last edited:
1B964B3B-3D1B-4FF3-8428-C8DC67AC89DC.jpeg If it’s Saturday afternoon it’s ‘Mixed Bag’ on WFUV 90.7FM. (WFUV.ORG)
The tuner is ‘The Fisher’ FM-90X Gold Cascode with a full complement of Fisher branded tubes.
Beautiful to look at, breathtaking to listen to.
Electro Voice Aristocrat lll not shown.

Back
Top Bottom