Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Hey Bob,
I didn't know you visited these parts - hello!
Indeed! 'all lower-case' doug is here, as well. Hopefully, Eric and Ray and few others will join in if they haven't done so all ready. Good FM is most everywhere if you have a decent antenna (key#1) properly installed (key #2) and a decent tuner (key #3).

The cold time is approaching and it is time to pull out them tubes. General Electric FA-11 tube tuner: the sound is round and bold;105.9khz WQCR playing classics.

listening to Stolen Moments on WFYI 90.1 FM, Indianapolis on my Yamaha T-7 tuner. This is a great locally produced music program which I always try to catch on Sunday nights.

Last edited:
Indeed! 'all lower-case' doug is here, as well. Hopefully, Eric and Ray and few others will join in if they haven't done so all ready. Good FM is most everywhere if you have a decent antenna (key#1) properly installed (key #2) and a decent tuner (key #3).

Well said! FM is alive and well thankfully to the few die hard true broadcasters out there. All you need is reception equipment to match the transmission end of the well proven technology. I'm looking very forward to getting out all my good tuners and enjoying them in all my little systems I have set in this tiny house of mine.

Let's please keep radio the way is should be. The world can talk, communities can be closer knit and the art we are so desperately short of these day can be beautifully conveyed.

Golden Age Of Radio, WBAI 99.5 on my Marantz 2130.
Sunday afternoons have a lot of good shows (music) on the weekend. Local and distant.

Hey Bob,
I didn't know you visited these parts - hello!

Hi Rene;

Yes, I read 2 or 3 FM boards, occasionally post here if I have time.

How's the TU-800 vs T-80, T-85 shootout going? Is there a winner yet?

Currently listing to WRPI an my newly repaired Sony ST-J75

Bob

I'm listening to my Dyna FM3 on 90.7 from The Bronx, NY. WFUV, "The Alternate Side." playing some very nice mellow music.

I listened to a Recorded concert with Dave Brubeck that was never released on CD, LP or any other media. It was broadcasted by the Danish State Radio DR.
I taped it.
Wonderful quality, in particular on my Tandberg TPT 3001A.

This is part of what makes FM still worth listening to.

"Dolph"

Well it's day time. But NPR is playing some good stuff. Sounding great on the ole Technics ST 9038.

I'm listening to FM95 on my MR85 tuner this evening. Would like to be listening to my HD tuner, but the local corporate radio mucky-mucks sh*t-canned the HD2 blues station :sigh:

Listening to the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra on WXXI 91.5 on the SAE TWO T14. Switching over to Classical 103.1 out of Canada.

The SB Internet Radio is not what I had hoped for. I like my Dipole!

Got the modded Dyna FM-3 with the new caps and PECs playing WRCJ 90.9 FM and some jazz right now.

Just finished with Jimmy Smith, a local from Norristown, PA. Listening to WRTI, 90.1 out of Temple Univ. Sony ST-J75 with alignment and mods by dr*audio. Highly recommended.

I can tell you guys are in my "neighborhood"

I listen to WRPI 91.5, WEXT 97.7, WMHT 89.1, WAMC 90.3...

Skidmore (WSPN 91.1), Union (WRUC 89.7), SUNY Albany (WCDB 90.9), VPR (WBTN 94.3 & WVTQ 95.1) WFCR (88.5 Amherst MA). I usually skip over Sienna (WVCR 88.3).

And guess what - That's 11 stations, all these received over the air via roof mounted antenna, all are non-commercial, no ads, public nonprofit stations.

Decent listening around here, for sure.

Wow .. I guess that I'm going to have to invest in a rooftop at some point.
I'm just using a homemade folded dipole at 9 or 10 feet pointed right at the RPI transmitter now.
Bob how high in elevation are you?
I'm just to the east of the Mass line on rt 22 and have the whole Taconic and Berkshire ranges between home and Amherst, but I do listen to that station if I'm on the Mass Pike while I can.
Listening to WTBR right now at work on a TX-11 or R-5030 reciever.

Steve

Last edited:
Occassionally I listen to 101.1 Classical here in DFW.When I was in Iowa I used to listen to WHO Radio 90.1 Saturday Night Jazz and Sunday Morning they would have Pipe Organ Solos that were just breathtaking. I miss that since there is nothing like that down here in DFW. My tuner at first was my venerable SX-1250 Pioneer, now it's been my SX-1980 for the last couple years. I keep the 1250 as my backup now :)

Wow .. I guess that I'm going to have to invest in a rooftop at some point.
I'm just using a homemade folded dipole at 9 or 10 feet pointed right at the RPI transmitter now.
Bob how high in elevation are you?
I'm just to the east of the Mass line on rt 22 and have the whole Taconic and Berkshire ranges between home and Amherst, but I do listen to that station if I'm on the Mass Pike while I can.
Listening to WTBR right now at work on a TX-11 or R-5030 reciever.

Steve

I'm in Clifton Park NY, local elevation is about 233ft. at ground level, antenna is about 30ft. above ground, so about 263 ft. elevation

Some of the local Colleges and Universities are really low power, i.e. 10W, and I'm on the fringe with a roof antenna.

I'll try to get WTBR, but I have 2 on that freq. locally (89.7), so doubtful...Union College also uses that frequency, as does a religious to the north.

I just fired up a Denon DRA-425 receiver I picked up recently. I'm planning on giving it as a gift so it's time to clean it up and make sure everything works. I stuck in the 'phones, and put it on FM. The PO had a single piece of wire (like half of a piece of zip cord) about two feet long attached to one side of the FM antenna terminal. I had that wire laying in a heap on the floor... and wouldn't you know that sucker pulled in stations like crazy. Sounded great, too.

Back
Top Bottom