1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Who's listening with headphone tonight? To what?

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by satkinsn, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ajward549

ajward549 AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's the Budgie, I've only had it for about a week now but am really liking it. First experience with a tube pre too.

MCdeltaT likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

I had a listen to Diana Krall's Girl In The Other Room and Holly Cole's Temptation last night with my new Fostex/Massdrop T-x0s and the Schitt Magni 2. Very nice.

They can can be fun when called for and - while I'd never call it the last word in natural sounding headphone - the singers sound like themselves.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Mysteryed, opa1 and boza like this.
  3. richie60

richie60 Member

R-1078623-1407220683-5350.jpeg.jpg

A nice easy going album to listen to.

Flac, Pioneer N50, BH Crack, Beyer DT880 600ohm.

4. MCdeltaT

MCdeltaT Active Member

I'm a newbie (6 months or so really learning), but have a very important question that I can't get answered. The phono stage is the missing link to my system. I was thinking of spending $1,000...but I'm about to pull the trigger on the budgie and do something a little more modest for now. The budgie has adjustable impedance which is something I want. It has 15 settings between 6.4kohm and 81.2kohm. All cartridge manufacturers post a preferred capacitance. Some may be 100pf, while others may be 400pf (like my Shure V15 typeIII). I read that the capacitance of the budgie is 50pf...which is relatively low. My phono cables capacitance might be another 50-150pf (is this measured from the cartridge through to the connection point with the preamp?). I ask this question, as I want to see if I can measure with multimeter or find the cf/ft in the literature. So this is the downside I see in the budgie...at least for me. But then I found the following on the Budgies website (see bold text). Can someone clarify this?

"This resistance loading method is far superior to traditional capacitive loading methods: 1) it can adjust resonances up or down, 2) it extends bandwidth while adjusting the resonance (more pF just lowers bandwidth), and 3) there are fifteen options - not just one or two."

Obviously, at the end of the day, I will set my values based on listening...not necessarily the manufacturers recommended settings. I do want the ability to play with different settings to both Learn and Optimize. Many phono preamps don't have adjustable capacitance, which to me doesn't make a lot of sense...especially since the recommended values vary considerably between carts.

Any response is appreciated. I want to buy the Budgie but it's the inability to vary the capacitance which is holding me back. Preamps such as the Musical Phonomena II+ has this ability (though it's a SS preamp). I want to try tubes. The Rogue Audio Triton has variable cap (0, 47, 150, 470, and 1,000pf) but the impedance loading is not as flexible. Err! Am I overthinking too much? I want to spend money wisely on my first preamp.

Sorry I know this is a headphone thread :)

cratz2 likes this.
  5. AdlerW

AdlerW Active Member

Listening via my Sennheiser HD 599s + Schiit Magni 3 + Modi 2 to Vivaldi's La Cetra (specifically the Concerto #5 in A minor):

[​IMG]
    Good stuff :D

6. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

A long-time favorite. :thumbsup:

Mysteryed likes this.

7. satkinsn

satkinsn low end audio Subscriber

Before And After Science.jpg

A little before Christmas I joined a Massdrop for a couple of pairs of Venture Electronics Monk Plus earbuds. They were only $5 a set, but the reviews said they weren't just good for the money, they were good, period. Figured one pair would make a fun, cheap gift for our son, and I'd try the other.

They finally arrived this morning so it's early days, but I'm struck by how much clarity these things have. I don't really like earbuds (and find IEMs uncomfortable) but these may be the exception. In any event, I'm eager to listen more and am excited by headphones for the first time in a while. Right now, as noted above, Eno's "Before And After Science," streamed from Spotify onto a Lenovo T420 running Ubuntu 16.04. Nothing fancy, just plugging the earbuds directly into the laptop.

s.

cratz2, Mysteryed and boza like this.
  8. richie60

richie60 Member

cratz2, Mysteryed, boza and 1 other person like this.
  9. satkinsn

satkinsn low end audio Subscriber

Pink Floyd 1965-67.JPG

I really don't care about Pink Floyd, but was a little fascinated when they started excavating the unreleased cuts/live material from the group's early years. This is ur-Floyd, as a British blues/pop band transmogrifying into the first recognisable version of the group.

Listening on Windows 10 laptop, with the VE Monk Plus earbuds, straight outta the headphone jack.

s.

Mysteryed and boza like this.
  10. RichTassoni

RichTassoni Active Member

Im listing to super tramp with audiotechnica ATH M.50x head phones and my new Yamaha a s 2100 amplifier.☺

cratz2, boza and Mysteryed like this.
  11. csericks

csericks Well-Known Member

Derek and the Dominos - Live at the Fillmore

boza and Mysteryed like this.

12. Mysteryed

Mysteryed WeeBee Puffin' Subscriber

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Into-Darkness.jpg
    Sony Blu-ray > Yamaha HTR > AKG K92

boza likes this.
  13. RichTassoni

I have this record to very nice with headphones.

richie60 likes this.
  14. csericks

csericks Well-Known Member

The Holmes Brothers - In The Spirit

15. jonman

jonman Addicted Member

The Kinks The " New" Great Lost Kinks Album on Sony MDR G 46

16. richie60

richie60 Member

The_Yes_Album.png

Flac, Pioneer N50, Little Dot 1+, Grado PS500E.

fromnowon, Mysteryed, cratz2 and 2 others like this.

17. RichTassoni

Headphones on tonight recording rocken BLUES from BB KING BLUESVILLE off XM RADIO with my JVC TD-V621 cassette deck. I like to make my own music. Using Maxell XL II S , or TDK SA, SA-X tapes.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  18. ossidian

ossidian Active Member

Listening to Mighty Sam McClain while watching the glow of the tubes in the dark.

41aoZx8Uk3L.jpg

19. RichTassoni

Sorry for asking what kind of music dose this Mighty Sam McClain produced.

20. ossidian

ossidian Active Member

Blues soul.

cratz2 likes this.