Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Gf is asleep and I'm up and probably will be for awhile (think I'm getting sick and I slept a lot today) so I'm rocking the metal with my Grado 225i's. Currently:

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (DCC Gold)

41ANQF5K1CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm listening to Chopin's Greatest Hits (Columbia MQ 1106) on my RT-1020L using Pioneer SE-305's. The headphones connected directly to the R2R.

It originally started out as A/Bing the 305's, a pair of SE-30's and a much newer pair of Sony MDR-V150's. The Sony's are generally connected to the computer.

W.A MATHIEU, Available Light (Windham Hill Release) Solo Piano through my Senns/ Mitsu amp/ Mitsu TT combo.

IMG_0871.JPG

again, on my RT-1020L with my Pioneer SE-305's, I'm listening to Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" (ATCO 02-250) from about 1968. Original 4track stereo 7" reel of the album.

Tonight it's Peter Tosh's Wanted Dread or Alive via the Audeze LCD-2 cans on the Pioneer SX-1980 :D

Tonight it's Peter Tosh's Wanted Dread or Alive via the Audeze LCD-2 cans on the Pioneer SX-1980 :D

Nice ! For me tonight its Eva Cassidy (Simply Eva) via the HD600s into my Pioneer Spec 1.:music:

Last edited:
AKG K1000 with an APureSound V2 re-cable via Isabella/30.2 LFPV Edition Combo. Music courtesy of Oscar Peterson (iTunes).

the verve pipe - villains

FLAC > J. River > ASUS STX > Decware CSP2 > Beyerdynamic DT880/600

I'm running my Audio-Technica ATH-AD700's on my main rig and enjoying the cheesy 80's sound of Eddie Money's Where's The Party. :D

running my yamaha R-9 with pair of AKG 240's atm. listening to some Archive-Controlling Crowds album running from my computer.

Unfortunately the turntable and cd player are long gone. All my listening is done with Flac files (cd rips) via a Sonos ZP90.

Unfortunately? Nah, lossless via a computer system with a a good DAC is as good as it gets for the combo of convenience and SQ imo. :music: I never had any need for vinyl and cdp's are only as good as their DAC and can only hold so much music anyway. Love having a terabyte of music at my fingertips via the FLAC on hard drive to external DAC option.

Listening to my 225i's and Black Sabbath Dehumanizer right now.

Unfortunately? Nah, lossless via a computer system with a a good DAC is as good as it gets for the combo of convenience and SQ imo. :music: I never had any need for vinyl and cdp's are only as good as their DAC and can only hold so much music anyway. Love having a terabyte of music at my fingertips via the FLAC on hard drive to external DAC option.
I agree, digital music storage is the way forward for convenience that's primarily why I went that route however, I now miss browsing my cd and vinyl collection. Browsing the music collection on the Sonos or PC just is not the same, maybe it is just nostalgia.

I agree, digital music storage is the way forward for convenience that's primarily why I went that route

I think you're absolutely correct on that one, an unstoppable tide, the future of music and hi-fi.

however, I now miss browsing my cd and vinyl collection. Browsing the music collection on the Sonos or PC just is not the same, maybe it is just nostalgia.

But this is one of the reasons some people, myself included, stubbornly cling to the old, inconvenient ways, however illogical. Basically, I'm a physical media guy. Yet I do not deny that the ultimate resolution will be achieved with server-based systems in coming years.

Plus, my lp and CD collections have been so carefully and lovingly assembled, I couldn't bear to give them up.

I agree, digital music storage is the way forward for convenience that's primarily why I went that route however, I now miss browsing my cd and vinyl collection. Browsing the music collection on the Sonos or PC just is not the same, maybe it is just nostalgia.

Yea, I understand, but growing up in the cd age I don't have any nostalgia for vinyl and I don't like how it sounds anyway.

I also don't miss having to load up cd's and sort though them to find what I'm looking for either. I had a 300 cd Jukebox player in the late 90's that held all my cd's at the time, but it was still a pain to wait for it to rotate to get to a cd, much less use it on shuffle!

I think you're absolutely correct on that one, an unstoppable tide, the future of music and hi-fi.

Hopefully. So much easier and convenient and even indestructible (as long as you have hard drive back ups).

But this is one of the reasons some people, myself included, stubbornly cling to the old, inconvenient ways, however illogical. Basically, I'm a physical media guy. Yet I do not deny that the ultimate resolution will be achieved with server-based systems in coming years.

It's not illogical, it's just emotion based. These two things don't always conflict.

However, as you know, I totally question that anything will ever get better than the 16/44.1 resolution of the redbook cd so I don't care about that, at least as of now, until solid evidence is presented for these "hi-res" formats. So the ultimate in hi-fi resolution is here and now and has been for almost 30 years: redbook cd. In the last 10 years or so we now just have the option to get rid of the physical cd and still retain all the fidelity. And for those who think vinyl is still the best fidelity, they can also rip it to lossless and rid themselves of all physical copies. Both cd or vinyl based lossless are at least much more convenient than the physical forms, but I understand those who like that as well. I just don't.

But not to go off topic here. :D

Plus, my lp and CD collections have been so carefully and lovingly assembled, I couldn't bear to give them up.

I sold many cd's back years ago except the "essentials". Couldn't care less about not having them now, physical copy, even if many I bought just as I was getting into music and thus were "special". Even my cherished Rush cd collection of which I bought 2 copies of each by the time I was 20 (original pressings and then all the remasters that came out in '97), sit in a cabinet I haven't opened since I ripped them years ago. Album art work is online! :D

I agree with the server to external DAC concept. I grew up with vinyl (TD125/SME arm) but always hated the amazingly poor quality of the new vinyl (warped, junk embedded in the record, noise, pops, etc.). I was happy to go digital (CD and CDP) and even happier when servers became practical.

To get back on topic, listening to Bright Lights by Ellie Goulding via my second HP rig (Duet wireless to AA rig to Millet Max Hybrid amp to AKG 271 Studios).

Back
Top Bottom