Whos still listens to Am and what program are do you listening/listen to?

WNRN just bought WFTH, so now there's alternative rock on AM in Richmond.
If they didn't already have an FM translator, I'd listen to 1590. It actually was a
great album/alt/underground/whatever rock station in the early 70s- WGOE. Then
it was daytime only. Now it's a blowtorch 19 watts at night, too weak, even at 5
miles, to hear.

AM--what's that? LOL Oh yeah, that other button on the tuner...

I don't listen regularly to AM--haven't in decades, but not long ago we were forced to as the result of a media black-out (low ticket sales) for a ball game in the local area--we were able to pull in a fairly distant out-of-market AM station that was broadcasting the game.

There is a jazz station here, as well as an oldies station, that I listen to when in the car.

I listen to talk radio and the news on AM radio. AM radio in the Los Angeles area has talk radio shows, news stations, religious stations and not much else. There is a station that does play classical music, but the signal isn't the best in my area.

Some locally produced programs mostly, WGN and KMOX do it for example.
Occaaionally, I'll do some distance getting listening after dark, just because it's possible to travel without leaving the house.

All-news stations in Phila. and NYC; non-political syndicated talk shows re money, health, home improvement, etc.; some baseball play-by-play; some local high school sports play-by-play; one local talk show; very occasionally some sports talk. On the whole, most of my AM listening is on weekends.

EDIT: I know the economics for AM stations, especially in small markets, are tough, but I think AM stations could fill a need for real local programming.

For example, in my small community, there are lots of talented musicians of all stripes: rock, folk, bluegrass, jazz, classical, gospel, ethnic, etc. Not big league talent, but good enough that people turn out to catch them live. I'm sure they would play for free, just for the exposure. Why not? We have colleges in the area that are full of smart, interesting people who would be happy to talk for free. Why not?

My local AM station's building was erected in the 1950s. The current owner, son of the founder, took me through one day and pointed out that what is now 4 separate rooms was originally one big room specifically designed as a live performance studio.

There is very little truly local programming on radio today.

Last edited:
WWJ.. 950 news to and from work.. Traffic and weather on the 8's, Listen for about 15 minutes then switch to music.

AM 820 for the all-comedy station serving the Toronto area. There are also some oldies music stations, so there are several to choose from.

EDIT: I know the economics for AM stations, especially in small markets, are tough, but I think AM stations could fill a need for real local programming.

For example, in my small community, there are lots of talented musicians of all stripes: rock, folk, bluegrass, jazz, classical, gospel, ethnic, etc. Not big league talent, but good enough that people turn out to catch them live. I'm sure they would play for free, just for the exposure. Why not? We have colleges in the area that are full of smart, interesting people who would be happy to talk for free. Why not?

My local AM station's building was erected in the 1950s. The current owner, son of the founder, took me through one day and pointed out that what is now 4 separate rooms was originally one big room specifically designed as a live performance studio.

There is very little truly local programming on radio today.

This. I hate what's happened to AM radio, both technically - the noise floor is up from all the gadgets we use and the station operators don't take care of the signal - and the mass desertion of local programming.

I know there's an absolute limitation to the bandwidth of an AM station that keeps even a well-engineered one from sounding as good as FM, but they could sound a helluva lot better than they do today. And yes, bring on the local music, the local news, the local jocks. This is a good idea whose time should come again.

s.

edit - And in the spirit of the original question, yes, I still listen to a fair amount of AM. We have a local morning show here, a noontime call-in, a 5 PM local talk. A little Beck, Rush, Hugh Hewitt, Levin. Not my politics, but I'm always interested to hear what they're saying.

Last edited:
I listen to George Noory and his Coast to Coast program all the time on KFI 640 AM, I can also catch-up on a lot
of news when I'm driving around town in the daytime on the car radio.

AM radio is really a great source of information for me because I can keep up the current news and other events
while I am doing other things instead of sitting in front of a TV and getting nothing done.

KFI 640 talk radio
Los Angeles

KNX 1070 news radio
Los Angeles

That would be cool.....

Having your own AM Radio Broadcasting station using solar panels to cut the cost. Pre-recorded R2R's with the best cuts of music with mock interviews and outrageous news broadcasts like they did at Berkley back in the seventies.

Back
Top Bottom