Who's system would you like to spend a day with?

cubdog

banging through drywall
So many great systems here. Kudos to everyone. Who's set up would you like to spend a little time with? Redboy, JohnVF, JimmyNeutron and PrestigeWW would certainly be on my list. Oh and about a hundred others as well.

cubdog

I'd have to decide between several actually. I really like the sound of Pacific Northwest Audio Society member Winston Ma's room. Winston is, of course, the owner of First Impression Music, one of the leading labels in advanced SOTA sound. He has also served many times as a judge in our DIY Speaker Contest ("The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest").

Here's an old Positive Feedback article:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom2.htm

As an alternative, another Club member's system would be Mike Lavigne's. Mike has also served as a judge in every one of our DIY speaker contests. I've been invited over to listen to his system quite a few times as well. It's also an excellent system.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/la_mlav.htm

If the choice were restricted to AK member's, then I'm at a loss, as there are quite a few that look to be very nice and I'm sure sound excellent. Just off the top of my head, I'd certainly be interested in seeing (and listening) to Dave Newman's setup, whatever it is at the moment.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Thanks cubdog. If you ever find yourself in North Florida, you're welcome to sit in for a listen.

I'll second the others you listed, and add Art K's (his Harbeth setup is one of my favorite small room systems), DonBattles (fascinated by his DIY horns), both of Stoutblock's rotating systems (especially the Nak) and Trhee's ridiculous Naim/Thiel setup. I'm sure there are many others I forgot to name..

Redboy and Inspiribomb.

So many great systems here. Kudos to everyone. Who's set up would you like to spend a little time with? Redboy, JohnVF, JimmyNeutron and PrestigeWW would certainly be on my list. Oh and about a hundred others as well.

cubdog

Thanks cubdog. I wish my system hadn't been so confused when you heard it last. Speakers in a new room with an unfamiliar CD player = fatiguing highs. I'd like to make it out your way sometime, too. The city gets old....I'd love to be around more trees, as well as some nice gear!

I would love to hear just about every system that comes up. It's cool to hear what everyone likes. :yes:

and Trhee's ridiculous Naim/Thiel setup.

It is quite good. :yes: I basic have Trhee's old system at this point (he needs to stop selling such nice stuff so near me).

Hell, life's so hectic I'd like to be able to spend a day with my own system!

But really, I'd love to hear so many. I don't know where I'd begin. I've actually heard very, very few decent systems and would love to change that.

At the risk of sounding like I'm inviting myself over..which I'm not trying to do...I'll limit myself to the Chicago-area based systems. Cubdog's BelCanto system is intriguing, and JohnVFs Leben has pretty much everyone's attention as evidenced by the hundreds of comments on that post. EKManning's McIntosh is certainly something anyone with an interest in vintage needs to hear. The one non-local system that really caught my eye JimmyNeutron's. That touchscreen interface and Carver speakers must be experienced in person!

At the risk of sounding like I'm inviting myself over..which I'm not trying to do...I'll limit myself to the Chicago-area based systems. Cubdog's BelCanto system is intriguing, and JohnVFs Leben has pretty much everyone's attention as evidenced by the hundreds of comments on that post. EKManning's McIntosh is certainly something anyone with an interest in vintage needs to hear. The one non-local system that really caught my eye JimmyNeutron's. That touchscreen interface and Carver speakers must be experienced in person!

Stereocuuple's Alon's are really nice. Robie has a pair of Rega Elas that are just about the best small speakers ever. There's a couple of locals I know who aren't on AK that have some really neat stuff, too. We live in a good town for hi fi.

At the risk of sounding like I'm inviting myself over..which I'm not trying to do...I'll limit myself to the Chicago-area based systems. Cubdog's BelCanto system is intriguing, and JohnVFs Leben has pretty much everyone's attention as evidenced by the hundreds of comments on that post. EKManning's McIntosh is certainly something anyone with an interest in vintage needs to hear.

Thanks! You're welcome here anytime. Just give me a half hour to pick up the empty pizza boxes and dirty socks. :yes:

There ARE hundreds of systems here that I am in awe of. But if I HAD to pick one, it would be Wardsweb's. If Luther's gear sounds half as nice as it looks, I know I'd be in audio heaven. :music:

JohnVF's Leben and Harbeths (and then ArtK's Harbeths powered by his NAD).

Redboy's horns.

I'd love to tour chicks' house.

It would be fun to drag my stock Fortes over to SET12's house for a A/B comparison with his very heavily modified pair.

There's a lot of interesting systems/people on AK. I love it.

Who's the guy with the Jubilees? I forgot his name.

There ARE hundreds of systems here that I am in awe of. But if I HAD to pick one, it would be Wardsweb's. If Luther's gear sounds half as nice as it looks, I know I'd be in audio heaven. :music:
I forgot about Wardsweb's Diy stuff. That's in my top 3 for sure that I'd like to spend some time with. I would like to hear some of RayW's speaker creations, too, like his Big Bobs.

I'd like to spend the day listening to Celt's system. Not because it's the best system in AK land but because we have similar taste in music and because he has become my friend.

Thanks! You're welcome here anytime. Just give me a half hour to pick up the empty pizza boxes and dirty socks. :yes:

I'd be happy to add to your pizza box collection...I have a few here at my pizza place that would make the trip complete with contents!

Wardsweb´s several systems.

Each and everyone would fill my wildest dreams.

I´m certain there are others I´d love to hear, though.

Back
Top Bottom