Who's using idagio? (Berlin-based classical streaming service)

bang4buck

Not available in the US yet for copyright reasons but they're aiming for a US launch later in 2018. Their catalog stands at half a million titles and they just got Deutsche Grammophon on board.

Subscription is currently 9.99 euros/month in Germany, as far as I can tell. (The website is limited when accessed from a US location.)

Full disclosure, I actually went to school with one of the co-founders, although we were never close friends.

If they are genre-limited, how will they distinguish themselves from the rest of the streaming services?

"Traditional" streaming services aren't designed for classical music, which just doesn't fit the usual artist / album / song format. It takes a lot more than that to properly catalog classical pieces. Composer, orchestra, conductor, soloist, key, etc. That's where they want to come in. They're building the interface to fit the music.

I'll certainly give it a try once they launch here. Tidal has a decent selection of classical, but searching is hit or miss.

This has launched in U.S. I got a two months for a buck introductory offer, and can stream FLAC. Have it on my Sonos as well.

s.

Thanks for your post, I had given up hope regarding US availability. Two weeks free, $9.99/month for me.

So far, I like it. I'm no expert on classical music, but every album I have wanted has been available. The playlists seem a step beyond the usual "classical for relaxation." I listened to a playlist called "Small is Beautiful - The Piano Miniature," read the accompanying notes, and learned a bit. My biggest gripe with the interface is that it's a little too sparse, a little cumbersome to poke around in. Also, even though the search function is good, it's not perfect. I looked for Igor Levit's album "Life." Typing "Life" didn't yield the album, though searching under Levit did. Anyway, so far, so good.

s.

Back
Top Bottom