Why 4 Ohm Loads Stress Your Amplifier

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by 240 Volts, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Harryconover

Harryconover Well-Known Member

2. Harryconover

I must dissagre sir the limitations of size was the weight at that time I was a sevise tech and flopping it around for a new set of outputs was a workouts the other statement about heat sink size size is 100 present wrong it’t as well there can not be too much heat sink all it does is allow the output device to do its best but there hevey and powerful transfomers are heavy !

3. Harryconover

No offense
    no offense but the analogy suggested dosent work I think I know the idea that your trying to explain and I can’t follow it so perhaps a different try ?

4. nonobaddog

nonobaddog Member

4000 RPM in 1st gear - look stupid
    4000 RPM in 5th gear - get ticket
    The engine doesn't really care.

Bodyblue likes this.
  5. Pete B

Pete B AK Member Subscriber

6. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

If your amp or receiver is rated for a 4ohm load AND your amp or receiver is in good condition, then one will be fine. Should you take an old and dirty unit with no service history and run it flat out with 4 ohm speakers? Probably not, but there is too much hysteria that 4 ohm loads are a death knell for stuff.

7. FidgetMaster

FidgetMaster Active Member

That's why some integrated a small fan, they do get Hot, notice some of the sticky pad/adhesive used up against the heat-sinks kinda bubbled up and deformed and stuff. Just harder on the Transistors that driver is wanting more power. It's the same like in valve stuff it can be hard on the output xformer and the valves both.

8. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Some amps such as the Carver TFM series will go into protect mode if they get too hot.