Why am I underwhelmed by my MCS -> Yamaha receiver upgrade?

Kooranga

You AK folks were a great help to me about 3 years ago when I was trying to put together my first turntable setup. After hitting up garage sales, estate sales, and thrift stores, I wound up with a combo that was by no means anaudiophile's dream, but still pleased my ears (I listen at moderate volume):

Craig (CDC) 5101 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red
MCS 3223 Receiver (23 wpc)
JBL ARC-30 Bookshelf Speakers (8 ohms, 90dB, up to 125 watts)

I recently came across a good deal on a Yamaha CR-620 (35 wpc), a receiver that seems to be well regarded here at AK, certainly more so than my JC Penny receiver. I expected to hear a big difference, but, to be honest, I am a bit underwhelmed. The bass is better, but the mids are kinda missing, and the highs sharper, almost grating. As first impressions go, I think I like the MCS better.

I know this is all subjective, trust your ears, etc. But is this is a matching issue? In other words, does the "better" Yamaha simply reveal the limitations of the rest of my gear? Is there any objective reason why the MCS might sound better in this particular configuration?

Last edited:
Until it sounds better, lol.
Seriously though, if it's been sitting unused a good while, leave it on for a few days and listen to it when you can, see if it improves.

I was similarly underwhelmed with mine, and after having spent quite a little time and effort refreshing it. I donated to a neighborhood garage sale for charitable benefit. I made sure no one knew where it came from.

YamahaCR-620.jpg

It's a little like raw eggs. Someone is likely thinking that "You've just never heard a good Yamaha" like I've just never tasted "good" raw eggs.

You're not alone. I've heard a couple of great sounding Yamaha receivers and integrateds. Mostly the TOTL stuff. The lower line stuff never lit the lamp for me, and that goofy backward "Loudness" control just gets on my nerves. Like what you like, unless it's crap. : )

first thing is, the MCS is not as bad as a lot of people think. It outshines its niche. and the yamaha CRs in that range REALLY need a good and thorough recap and perhaps the low end silicon as well

I had a CR620 years ago and initially was also underwhelmed by it.It didn't have the immediate punch I was used to after having the Pioneer a Sansui gear I was used to.When I really had a chance to to listen at lower levels I saw or better yet heard the light.It was the beginning of my transition to Yamaha gear as my main units and I never looked back.

Last edited:
If it has a variable loudness control, it may take some getting used to. Understanding that it is actually a variable version of a regular "loudness" switch and how it operates is key to enjoying these.

I expected to hear a big difference, but, to be honest, I am a bit underwhelmed

Given that the amplifier works OK, I think this is a fairly common reaction when listening for the first time to the Yamaha natural sound kind of sound. Not everyone's piece of cake; some say it's exactly how any amplifier should sound (neutral), some just don't find it engaging enough. It's undeniable that the models in the CR lineup have a rather good control, and they have been engineered with a lot of care.
I once checked out of curiosity the frequency response of a CR-1040 that I own, and it is frankly quite impressive.

IMG_3269.jpeg

What you are likely experiencing is Yamaha's "Natural Sound". Some people describe it as thin/clinical, other people really like it.

To each their own.

Just because someone else likes something doesn't mean you will. Nor does it mean you should.

Given that the amplifier works OK, I think this is a fairly common reaction when listening for the first time to the Yamaha natural sound kind of sound. Not everyone's piece of cake; some say it's exactly how any amplifier should sound (neutral), some just don't find it engaging enough. It's undeniable that the models in the CR lineup have a rather good control, and they have been engineered with a lot of care.
I once checked out of curiosity the frequency response of a CR-1040 that I own, and it is frankly quite impressive.

View attachment 1351561

I hate to tell you, but that Yamaha is clinically dead (flat-lined) ; )

I am a Yamaha fan, but have found some variation in sound quality. While many people are not happy with Yamaha sound, I have had superb performance from a CA-1010, CR-2020, R-1000, and R-300. Was underwhelmed by a CA-410 and CR-220. I can't say that all CA-1010s, CR-2020s, R-1000s or R-300s are going to sound good, or that all examples of the other models will leave me with a "meh" reaction. These impressions may have to do with the condition of the electronics, or of a match between the amp/receiver and the other components I was using. So, what you are experiencing could be a matter of your tastes in sound, the condition of your Yamaha, or the components it is matched with. Or some combination of those factors.

Don't get rid of your Yamaha CR-620 yet. The x20 series is better than the x40 series. Look for a pair of older Yamaha speakers and try those with the CR-620. And use a CD player as source. You may grow to like it. If not, upgrade to a bigger MCS before the prices peak. A small MCS receiver is listed on CL for $125. Crazy!!

Probably as stated above... it is that Yamaha "Natural Sound"

I've own several Yamaha receivers through the yrs

Opposite end of the spectrum would be Sansui or Realistic receivers from the same era

I've had a cr-800 and it was very nice sounding , not the typical Yamaha sound from what I read? Quite a bit "warmer"..
I say find s nice vintage Sansui..

Back
Top Bottom