Why are there so many snobs on audio websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo999

I was on a site over the weekend where the guys have these 200 and 300k audio systems. They were talking about spending 35k on speaker cables. I chimed in and tried to make some suggestions in the 1k to 2k range (Which is still a lot of money to me) These were cables I had read about and the reviewer sai they could compare to 10k to 30k cables. I mentioned with the money they could save they could take their wife or girlfriend on a beautiful cruise. Well, they didn't want to hear what I had to say and totally blew me off like I was some parasite. That's the last time I will ever go on a site like that. I'm not going to mention names but you probably know who it is.

wow if only one could have that kind of disposable income, you could probably solder a table knife mid span and they would never know the difference 35 k on jumpers my gosh...

oh yeah SoCal ,its a double hit , high end cables topic and the "A"udiophile thread in one

I was on a site over the weekend where the guys have these 200 and 300k audio systems. They were talking about spending 35k on speaker cables. I chimed in and tried to make some suggestions in the 1k to 2k range (Which is still a lot of money to me) These were cables I had read about and the reviewer sai they could compare to 10k to 30k cables. I mentioned with the money they could save they could take their wife or girlfriend on a beautiful cruise. Well, they didn't want to hear what I had to say and totally blew me off like I was some parasite. That's the last time I will ever go on a site like that. I'm not going to mention names but you probably know who it is.

Don't worry, this site is nothing like that. "All audio, no attitude"

question: would you go on a Ferrari website and propose sticking a Ford motor in one of them? after all, it's the same amount of horsepower....

I don't post on those websites, cause I don't play in that territory, and can't even pretend to know the market they are part of.

question: would you go on a Ferrari website and propose sticking a Ford motor in one of them? after all, it's the same amount of horsepower....

I don't go on those websites, cause I don't play in that territory, and can't even pretend to know the market they are part of.

I'm willing to bet half the posters there are manufacturer's and/or retailer's shills. That's the only way to get sheep to follow the Sheppard.

I'm willing to bet half the posters there are manufacturer's and/or retailer's shills. That's the only way to get sheep to follow the Sheppard.

I am an an internetiot and I never even thought that someone would do that...:sigh:

Sadly, I can't afford to spend my yearly salary on cables. :no: It must be great for them to be doing so well in this economy. Jerks.....:D
I have been into this hobby since my early teens......I have some nice gear...much of which has been passed to me from family at no cost.
In fact,the total cost of all the gear I have ever owned since the age of twelve... counting the items purchased new and second-hand....complete with accessories,cables,wire,cleaners repairs and storage has to be under $3000...CANADIAN! That includes Video!:thmbsp:

Those guys can spend whatever...I flat out don't give a sh!t. They may or may not even enjoy the music as much as me. If they do, great, if not, their loss.

I'm listening to Big Lizard by the Dead Milkmen as we speak, so I know they envy me.:music:

Don't worry, this site is nothing like that. "All audio, no attitude"

By and large, yes. However, there has been an increase in 'reverse snobbery' on AK over the past 6 months or so IMHO. There's an increase in the number of threads where people are bashing those who choose to spend their hard-earned cash on high-end gear, cables, accessories and whatnot.

Who cares what other people spend on their system? If they have the means to be able to spend $35k on cables, so be it. It's a legitimate choice, and the expenditure is no doubt commensurate with their means. Mocking those who DO have the money to spend on such extravagances is not different to mocking those who DO NOT.

I don't post on those websites, cause I don't play in that territory, and can't even pretend to know the market they are part of.

Got to agree with you. That would be the site for the well heeled audio hobbyist. Frankly, the OP did not really have any direct experience with products at that range, and really didn't have anything meaningful to add to the conversation. Sounds harsh, and I do not mean it that way.

I certainly cannot play anywhere near that price point, and really would have no reason to be active on a site like that. There are plenty of sites that are more suited to the OP, such as AK, AA, AC, Audiogon and a bunch of others. I would bode no ill will to the site that was visited, for it is intended for members who play at a more expensive level. Good for them to be able to enjoy the fruits of their work, however they got there. Live and let live I say. Of course I am a pig, and think that pigs in general should be left to live their natural lives.

Regards
Mister Pig

Lots of attitude in this thread already. All Audio, No attitude applies to those folks who spend $35,000 on their cables, as well as those who spend $.35/foot.

Usually these threads don't last long.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cartoon-03.jpg
    cartoon-03.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 843
Got to agree with you. That would be the site for the well heeled audio hobbyist. Frankly, the OP did not really have any direct experience with products at that range, and really didn't have anything meaningful to add to the conversation. Sounds harsh, and I do not mean it that way.

I certainly cannot play anywhere near that price point, and really would have no reason to be active on a site like that. There are plenty of sites that are more suited to the OP, such as AK, AA, AC, Audiogon and a bunch of others. I would bode no ill will to the site that was visited, for it is intended for members who play at a more expensive level. Good for them to be able to enjoy the fruits of their work, however they got there. Live and let live I say. Of course I am a pig, and think that pigs in general should be left to live their natural lives.

Regards
Mister Pig

I was going to comment on folks bringing home large quantities of bacon, but I felt that might be offensive to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom