Why are there so many snobs on audio websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from that somewhat negative blip, this forum is great. Even at its worst, it's better than the best of some other forums.

This place is WAAAAY better than the forum I used to post on (which shall remain nameless). I mean, people here aren't too proud to dumpster dive, and I'm a congenital cheapskate. I found myself copping an attitude on the other forum just as a defensive measure. I should have left earlier.

i can sometimes be mistaken for a snob here because i truly believe in separate components. it's not liike my 1978 audio research SP3A1 isn't VINTAGE. and by now, my adcom amp is likewise. maybe even my SOTA tt. fact is, most components are made better than equivalent electronics in receiver form. most of the japanese speakers from the 60s-80s are horn driven and many times not smooth in response. hence, i prefer more of the speaker only maker's products.

AR, Dynaco, Fried, IMF, ADS, Infinity, Boston, and the like come to mind and only a few like some of the yamaha line may apply for work in my system. of course there are others, for instance i own maggie MMGs and spendor s3/5s but the fried RIIs are doing duty right now.

many times i try to help others make their systems sound better without spending money, speaker positioning, isolation, and the like. i have decades of experience and love to share it but i am willing to learn as well.

I ran into almost exactly the same scenario here. "Mr. Wonderful" has apparently deleted -- or had deleted, not sure -- all but some very early posts and has ceased to post here.

Aside from that somewhat negative blip, this forum is great. Even at its worst, it's better than the best of some other forums.
I've seen that pattern a few times, here and there. It's like they feel they are vulnerable, in some way, if they leave their posts behind....

I know that site....

Funny thing is how they no nothing about the equipment beyond the cost and the silly accessory options. Like little girls talking about a new phone.

Guy comes here with 4 or 5 posts and we begin the pile-on for some phantom site that fits every audio bogey-man that AKers get their panties in a bunch about.

I wouldn't be surprised if it never happened. And even if it did, its one extreme example in a whole landscape of audio sites. There's as much snobbery here as I've seen on any of them, its just pointed in another direction.

Actually...

The site is Stereophile and more than one of us has been ignored using that site.

Because almost everyone can hear and that makes almost everyone an expert on the subject.

Because if there were an easy way to get better sound within our budgets we would have already done so. We're not stupid :rolleyes:

Because some people really do make better decisions, have better luck, spent more money, got a better deal, or learned more and others mistake the results as snobbery, real or imagined.

Alleged beer snob and proud of it :beerchug:

The nice thing about the audiophile snobs is that they buy a lot of stuff, take the depreciation hit, let the stuff that's underbuilt blow up in their face, and then in a couple years, once they're ready for new status-symbol gear, we can get the old stuff off Craigslist or the Goodwill at six cents on the dollar.

Someone has to do that. It's a vital service for the rest of us.

If only they could stick to interesting gear and stop buying the $2000-per-metre cables.

The nice thing about the audiophile snobs is that they buy a lot of stuff, take the depreciation hit, let the stuff that's underbuilt blow up in their face, and then in a couple years, once they're ready for new status-symbol gear, we can get the old stuff off Craigslist or the Goodwill at six cents on the dollar.

Someone has to do that. It's a vital service for the rest of us.

If only they could stick to interesting gear and stop buying the $2000-per-metre cables.

Excellent example of snobbery, good eye for spotting it and sharing with us, Hak Foo. Where did you find it?

If you were interested solely in the sound, you'd be better off (on a given-size budget) with modest gear and plowing a significant part of your budget into getting the room and equipment set up *right"-- testing gear, sound-deadening materials, and shunting around furniture in a sort of audiophile feng shui.

But won't impress guests the same way as gesturing to a big rack of exotic-brand gear.

I'd love to see some focus-groups test the same $199 reciever in its natural form, and then in a featureless aluminum box with a vaguely British or German name on the front panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom