Why can't I find a good pastrami sandwich?

Erik Tracy

Everyone's happy when the wizard walks by
In between my time questing in San Diego for great barbecue, I'm also trying to find a spot that has a good old fashioned pastrami sandwich.

It's darn hard, let me tell you. And I've been to two of the big 'traditional' deli places (DZ Akins and Miltons).

Forget about all the fancy breads and aioli spreads, the heart is the meat; that delectable balance of brine to beef.

Most of what I've had is dry to chewy, overly fatty, beefy yes, but they all miss that distinct rich 'pastrami' flavor. Some get close, but dang...still on my quest.

Maybe, like bbq, San Diegans don't get what pastrami is.

So, you got a go to place for that perfect pastrami sandwich?

My go to place is Max's diner (San Ramon CA - some in SF and other bay area locations) - where I used to work as a young man - bartender/waiter. Best home made rye and pastrami, corned beef.

I'm in Arizona now - so sandwiches are a thing of the past - I miss a good sub.

There was a place on Miami Beach that I use to go to back in late 70's

They had an incredible Pastrami Sandwich....!!

Funny, I was thinking about pastrami too...just recently.

Oh man tell me about it I grew up and lived in the NYC area my entire life until 9 yrs ago until moved to the midwest by my job...I miss a good Pastrami on Rye and Egg Cream. My favorite was a little hole in the wall called Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop on 5th ave in Manhattan. http://eisenbergsnyc.com/

Out here it is a wasteland when it comes to proper sandwiches... :D

eisenbergs-pastrami.jpeg

Oh and thanks VERY much, now my mouth is watering thinking about it ;)

No such thing, but that's just me. Got a bad one way back in the day, and haven't been able to look one in the crust since ...

PS ... you DO know that you're eating cow navels, right? <G>

Perhaps your standards are too high?
I've drank mosquito larva infested water in the Army and eaten everything this side of the ass out of a cow...
Not much food I can complain about with a little Mrs. Dash and Tobasco..
Americans.... too picky....

The best I have had is a little place in Downtown Windsor Ontario , Canada . Malics . Juicy and lean with the best rye bread fron a bakery across the street fron the restaurant. The garlic pickles and the home made cabbage soup is to die for . If your lucky they might of just made some fresh homemade Rice pudding with raisins with a side of real cream .

CA don't know pastrami, so they have to import right coasters to get it right. I had to drive clear to Palm Springs to find Sherman's Deli and Manhattan in the Desert, two of the best pastrami sandwich places I've had since I left NYC.

The best I have had is a little place in Downtown Windsor Ontario , Canada . Malic's . Juicy and lean with the best rye bread from a bakery across the street fron the restaurant. The garlic pickles and the home made cabbage soup is to die for . If your lucky they might of just made some fresh homemade Rice pudding with raisins with a side of real cream .

I was gonna brag on them, a bit, but you beat me to it. Opened in 1929, family run for over 50 years. New owners, now. Great stuff.

Thanks for the update!

I checked the web site. I'm drooling already!
The Carnegie was over rated anyway, don't miss them in the least. Katz's is still the barometer for the quintessentail NYC pastrami on rye. Tip the carver $2 when he is making your sandwich and he will slice a few pieces for you to nosh on while waiting. My advice, bring someone and have them order the brisket sandwich and split them. The corned beef comes in third in this race. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom