Why did the receiver war of the 70s end?

I listen to new music from time to time, very little that I like and of the few songs that I like even less would I put in rotation.So I should listen to music I don't like just so people won't say I'm old?
Listening to music you don't like won't stop people from saying you're old.

It's not your listening choices that make people say you're old.

It's suggesting on a forum that great music stopped being made in "1979 with a few exceptions" -- phrased as a universal and self-evident truth, rather than an expression of personal musical preference -- that's what makes people say you're old.

I compare this to the computers, back then You needed a Mack Truck to pick up your computer and now You can put one in your back pocket. Evolution of Technology. (Doesn't make it right though!) I prefer Vintage Anything, (over engineered, extremely well built and made to Last.)

P.S. As far as the actual music is concerned, " If my feet start tapping, I'll be listening"

Last edited:
I'm middle aged and still see shows from free to $10 a ticket every couple weeks. There's still good new music being made, and live music is still affordable. Sure, you're not going to get a cheap Rush ticket, but there's so much good music out there right now, it's an real boom time for the music fan.

Cheap tickets are location dependent, sure, and if you don't live in one of the big cities you may not be able to catch free/inexpensive shows in the middle of the week.

No good music being made today? That's just ridiculous, as there's a ton of it available, and without the gatekeepers of the record industry getting in the way.

The Japanese conceptualized this and capitalized on this as well. A super receiver doesn't cost all that more to make and the profit margin is maximized. What changed? Tastes, technology, and format. Bye-bye reel to reel and eventually turntable and cassette. In other words, analog Hello digital sampling, surround, and "compudrive" whatever that is. A chip?: So, it is a numbers thing.

Additionally, labor costs in Japan rose dramatically. Then yen was high against the dollar and other currencies as well.

Listening to music you don't like won't stop people from saying you're old.

It's not your listening choices that make people say you're old.

It's suggesting on a forum that great music stopped being made in "1979 with a few exceptions" -- phrased as a universal and self-evident truth, rather than an expression of personal musical preference -- that's what makes people say you're old.
That's my opinion,you don't like it tuff shit.I don't give a rats ass if some one thinks I'm old.If they wanna find out how old I really am we can step outside.

All I know is that this afternoon I had the house to myself and I put Ghost in the Machine on the turntable and cranked the unrestored Yamaha CR-2020 into the Yamaha NS-690ii speakers and it was AWESOME.

Are we discusing being old and hating music again? Jeez guys...
We were, but most of it was back in late August which means we're due for another round.

I think we should have regular New Music Only days, where you seek out new tunes on streaming sources and report back. Anyone caught cowering in a corner, shivering and hugging their old Zeppelin or AC/DC albums will be poked with sticks.

We were, but most of it was back in late August which means we're due for another round.

I think we should have regular New Music Only days, where you seek out new tunes on streaming sources and report back. Anyone caught cowering in a corner, shivering and hugging their old Zeppelin or AC/DC albums will be poked with sticks.

We will force them to listen to Cher - Believe for 48h non-stop. There must be a looped 24h sample on youtube.

Cher killed rap music. Lets discuss this. :)

My opinion is it sort of ended unexplainably abruptly when the Yen-$ values changed, the Behemoths became 40-50+ lb,
ate up appreciable shelf space, digital chips and memory got cheap, the Accounting Dept. won the war on the Engineers,
BPC came into vogue which were 1/2 the size and "could do the same thing", crammed more chip-type stuff under the hood, lost the point to point wiring, massive caps and weighted flywheel analog tuners,
and the concept of the "seperates" weren't any longer limited to Pugeot driving, tweed jacketed college Professors and GI's.

What was a Pioneer SA-80 amp by 1983, became the unibody chasis Pioneer SA-950 I have in the bedroom rack that boasts 70wpc
and is "decent", sound nothing alike.
I think the Concept 16.5 (Technics i think?) was the last giant receiver I saw at Pennys or Wards or Sears where most people shopped.
Sounds By Dave on Mangrove Ave., Chico, Ca has been there since the early 70's and was one of the few places in the NorCal countryside that carried and sound-roomed the really good stuff none of the working stiffs could shell out thousands for.
And I think the whole "Wife Factor" and 80's "modernizing" had people settling for the all in 1 formula Bose Acoustimass and a hundred others do to this day,
In those days of "new and sensationally light" BPC never really went out of style.
That being known, is why Grandpa's console system still sounded better than any the new stuff anybody had
and why I'm listening to a Jimi disc now just for its amp section of a 1978 Luxman R-1120.
Nothing in the 120watt league i;ve run across so far bests it for sheer great full sound.

Add me to that list. As an old rocker, I've always said (joking) "The Day the Music Died" wasn't the day Buddy Holly's plane crashed. It was the day Nirvana released their first album. [now putting my shields up] :naughty:

Though I liked and still alot of the bands from then on, I always thought that album was the beginning of the overproduced, distorted, digital format wall of noise soundroom dreck that Martin Hannett and Phil Spector would have loved to had access to and who Jimi would have clubbed with his guitars and lit on fire in a mercy sacrifice.

And It is fun to play "old" music at an undistorted FULL volume while driving thru town and shaking your cane at all the kids, pointing out the missed nuances.

Yes, music.

Contrary to some local opinion, great music didn't stop being made in 1974.

I work with a guy who I tell this to all the time.
Upside is he saams to have all the obscurr late 60's-mid 70's stuff.
I think he would agree alot of great bands disappeared about time disco came about

Yeah, chicks with armpit hair, dudes wearing overalls with no shirts underneath, long hair and crappy beards was truly something to be missed.

It was called growing up and getting a job, raising a family and becoming a contributing member of society.
Yeah and raising ANTFA grand children.. 70's was a bit different IMO that was truly the beginning of the end of how people saw things.
Us Neo hippies never had an all in one stereo, We bought leftover tired Mussel cars and someones left over Hi Fi equipment we all hung around the Audiophile hipster stores buying cut out albums my buddies and I learned a lot about audio quality and components. I became friends with the owner as he did repairs as well so if a customer didn't pickup their stuff within the time limit, I had first dibs on it for next to nothing my first true tast of owning a pair of big JBL's, not the low end ultra linear I owned.
We all had some sort of integrated amp at the least a tuner receiver. Our friends Bruce B&O and home built speakers hipster audio. And Walter was into tubes and Steely Dan. My tube fetish was in Guitar amplifiers and Sansui integrated power and turn tables.. Had to cut a lot of grass to buy leftover higher end components, didn't have the money like my other two friends.
Wouldn't change a thing as far as life was, society well that's another thing. The 80's was like the land that time forgot, at some point I wanted to forget it digital and compression.

Surely I replied to this thread before. I cannot remember. If I did answer, I am sure it was both salient and pithy. But in case I didnt answer, ever see the ford 'Fairmont/Futura'? IF they were acceptable, then its no wonder the wars ended. People stopped caring

Though I liked and still alot of the bands from then on, I always thought that album was the beginning of the overproduced, distorted, digital format wall of noise soundroom dreck that Martin Hannett and Phil Spector would have loved to had access to and who Jimi would have clubbed with his guitars and lit on fire in a mercy sacrifice.

I think you need to listen to Nirvana's first album Bleach again if you think it was overproduced.

Back
Top Bottom