• I came seeking technical repair help and found it, so joined

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I came lookin for help with how to connect my system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've been an enthusiast all my life and was net-surfing

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Back into audio after long absence and sought advice on vintage gear

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I'm just here for musichal's poetry !!

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I'm into audio and found this site friendly

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Other, Explain

Votes: 24 26.4%

• Total voters
TBH? At first it was Bartertown. A friend of mine from HS stated he was also on AK and had scored a few things there.
But what really drew me here was probably, in hindsight, the age factor. I started out of the Reddit audiophile and budgetaudiophile subs, and man, after a few months you really start to realize that age makes a big difference in the way people treat each other. Those places are toxic cesspits of misinformation and near-autistic lack of empathy. Mostly dominated by people who think audio is a game that can be somehow "won". People who will straight up ell you that if you don't value the same things that they do, you are WRONG. There was a guy there that actually told me, when discussing the Japanese gentleman who had his own power pole installed in his yard for the express purpose of "clean" power for audio gear, that it didn't matter anyway because, at his age, the Japanese guy wasn't ever going to experience proper audio anyway.

So yeah, AK didn't have much of a bar to jump over, but it's been a great place in so many more ways.

All of the above. When somebody offers me something of value that I use more than a few times a week, I am happy to pay for it. Running a site like this is expensive.

I no longer subscribe to a single print newspaper or magazine, so I consider paying for AK and a few other sites just reallocating my resources.

I became a subscriber for the benefits, of course.

Editing/deleting posts
Barter Town
Private message limits lifted
Subscribers' section, Musichal's "Ray Will" story
Support the site and enjoy the camaraderie

Ouch, that stung. Because I already feel guilty about breaking from it for so long. Hopefully, I can get my game face back on and finish it... biggest problem I have is that I really have nothing to say with it, it's just a story. I keep thinking of various scenarios, but... haven't hit on any that excite me... yet.

Back on topic, I came here for the loose women, but it's the drugs and alcohol that keep me here.

Ouch, that stung. Because I already feel guilty about breaking from it for so long. Hopefully, I can get my game face back on and finish it... biggest problem I have is that I really have nothing to say with it, it's just a story. I keep thinking of various scenarios, but... haven't hit on any that excite me... yet.

Back on topic, I came here for the loose women, but it's the drugs and alcohol that keep me here.

Sorry, I did not mean to sting you.

The day I re-upped you added another installment actually. :)

Faber12s list in post #41 applies to me as well. Where the heck else can you get so many hours of info and entertainment for $2 a month?

It really is funny when you try to research anything audio related how many of the google hits lead you right back here. It's easier to just use the search feature on the site lol

Last edited:
I was right there with cursor hovering over the join and pay button, and then a mod burned me on the cable forum. So do bannees get their money back...?

I was right there with cursor hovering over the join and pay button, and then a mod burned me on the forum. So do bannees get their money back...?

Really? That is sad, and I'm sure the cable thread postings had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:
Regards,
Jim

Surfed / lurked here but once I posed a question and received replies I felt I should contribute $. I sent a $5 donation but upon my return I decided I should subscribe so I did. I am now paid up for the next few years, until 2021 I think... I have also donated to the x-mas fundraisers (services and goods both) to help raise more money.

AK is probably the finest web based group since the original days of "mail list" groups of friends. Most of the web is infected with trolls and generally worthless asshats. To find like minded folks that have deep respect for each other's ideas and are so quick to lend a hand, advice and even pitch in (financially) is a rare thing these days. To not allow personal or political leanings shade the audio discussions is a testament to all the moderators, the creators and members.

I became a subscriber within a month of finding this site. There was such a wealth of information here that I wanted to support the site. I lurked mostly for years, but when the site switched forum software I became inspired to post more. AK is special to me now. As our esteemed member HarmonKardon says, AK is a community.

-Dave

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

AK has now a new subscriber who joined just to read my poetry, and I'm thinking he is almost assuredly the first and only (probably the last also), and the excitement of it is even now spreading through the Norman community. People are jubilant, dancing in the streets! Well, not quite yet, but they're apt to break out any moment.

He is in Kansas, somewhere between the corn and the wheat, a border I'm pretty sure can be seen from the International Space Station. At any rate, Stephen is a friend (don't know his screen name; he probably won't even look around the site, but if he does... Hi, Stephen, and welcome aboard). He always has multiple irons in the fire, and called on me a couple weeks back, or so, asking about my poetry.

He's involved with some art benefit thing, along with other interests. We've known one another for a couple years, and when he stopped by I recited one of my poems to him when he began talking about the art thing. I showed him my poem entitled Pyramid Scheme and he really liked the poem and the artsy sun image which heads it. He's having some visual art embedded in fabric by a process similar to silk-screening, but I've forgotten the process. Anyway, I notice in casual conversation he refers to it as silk-screening, after explaining that it is different, so I do, too.

[Later Edit: Those among you who have seen the poem understand the visual structure of a double etheree, in which the words of the poem can be rendered, with some thought (harder than it looks), to form a diamond; making the bottom of the diamond grey print, and the top black, makes it look like a pyramid casting a shadow. Titled Pyramid Scheme, it's a pyramid-shaped poem about the construction of the one in Giza. With the colorful sun image above it, it includes both the literary and visual arts genres, and Stephen also thought so, however amateurish some might characterize it from either aspect.]

The plan is to make various images, then mount the art in a frame. There is a minimum order he has to place, but they don't have to be all the same image. He called me a week after we discussed it during his brief visit, to ask permission to use the poem, and I quickly agreed. I want one to hang on my wall. If he manages to sell them, I'll even get a little money. He takes all the risk. Hey, go for it, why not? Right?

Additionally, he has a retired gentleman with a radio broadcaster voice - well, maybe not so much as many voices on the air today - old-style, good speaking voice. He's already produced a CD with Tom reading poetry, and he wanted to read through mine. I tried to email them, but he couldn't open the attachments. we finally gave up trying, and I told him if he simply subscribed here, he and Tom could view them all to find whether they want to include some of my poetry in the next CD.

Having heard the first one, I think rain would be a good choice. Whether this comes to fruition or not, at least I can now truthfully say my poetry led to subscription here. It's not really that I lied about that in the past, I simply borrowed it from the future until it became truth.

Last edited:
Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

AK has now a new subscriber who joined just to read my poetry, and I'm thinking he is almost assuredly the first and only (probably the last also), and the excitement of it is even now spreading through the Norman community. People are dancing in the streets! Well, not quite yet, but it's apt to begin any moment.

He is in Kansas, somewhere between the corn and the wheat, a border I'm pretty sure can be seen from the International Space Station. At any rate, Stephen is a friend (don't know his screen name; he probably won't even look around the site, but if he does... Hi, Stephen, and welcome aboard). He always has multiple irons in the fire, and called on me a couple weeks back, or so, asking about my poetry.

He's involved with some art benefit thing, along with other interests. We've known one another for a couple years, and when he stopped by I recited one of my poems to him when he began talking about the art thing. I showed him my poem entitled "Pyramid Scheme" and he really liked the poem and the artsy sun image which heads it. He's having some visual art embedded in fabric by a process similar to silk-screening, but I've forgotten the process. Anyway, I notice in casual conversation he refers to it as silk-screening, after explaining that it is different, so I do, too.

The plan is to make various images, then mount the art in a frame. There is a minimum order he has to place, but they don't have to be all the same image. He called me a week after we discussed it during his brief visit, to ask permission to use the poem, and I quickly agreed. I want one to hang on my wall. If he manages to sell them, I'll even get a little money. He takes all the risk. Hey, go for it, why not? Right?

Additionally, he has a retired gentleman with a radio broadcaster voice - well, maybe not so much as many voices on the air today - old-style, good speaking voice. He's already produced a CD with Tom reading poetry, and he wanted to read through mine. I tried to email them, but he couldn't open the attachments. we finally gave up trying, and I told him if he simply subscribed here, he and Tom could view them all to find whether they want to include some of my poetry in the next CD.

Having heard the first one, I think rain would be a good choice. Whether this comes to fruition or not, at least I can now truthfully say my poetry led to subscription here. It's not really that I lied about that in the past, I simply borrowed it from the future until it became truth.

Moments like this are poetic. :thumbsup:

My previous post is why I joined. I subscribed to support our infrastructure. .

one option i chose was i can explain

i checked most of the boxes on this

but one of the most important to me "friendly" ..... tho not always .... but well moderated non the less
the other for me is cost
i used admin a few small boards,and cost is always an issue
a big issue, cant pay the bills, no board.
the amount of time to keep this running smoothly is also a major personal cost for the admin and all variants of mods

I joined so I could see BT. Funny how people feel guilty about using something for free when the sight is free. AK offers benefits of subscribing and I use them. If one can afford the $25 and want to spend it on this site, then cool. But what I sincerely despise are those that try to make members who dont choose to subscribe, guilty for not doing so. I have seen some truly despicable comments directed to those that, for their own personal reasons, dont subscribe. There is zero prestige in subscribing, nor does it make one a better person. Some of the best and nicest poster that have helped me the most are not subscribers.

I actually wish there was nothing under the members user name stating if the member chooses to subscribe or not. We should not be judged on our ability or choice not to pay.

Back
Top Bottom