Why do gin and tonics taste so danged good

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
If they could make something that tastes like gin* but had no alcohol the world would be a better place, at least in my book

*Gordon's Dry Gin, in particular.

It is fascinating to read the checkered history of Gin. Back about 195 years ago the gin mills in the UK were turning out stuff that caused hallucinations, and actually poisoned people. There were debates in the UK Parliament about banning this “demon brew”. As for Gin and Tonic it was invented in India as a palliative for Yellow Fever. The drink helped to mitigate the bitter taste of the quinine bark infusion that was the active ingredient.

Personally I am a Bombay Sapphire gin man.

1471F2BF-0BED-4640-A2B2-02F8C9C4EED6.png

By the way have you ever made a Gin-n-tonic
With either Schweppes Bitter Orange, or Bitter Lemon Tonic water? They a both booze ambrosia.
EC9E0224-EC08-43B0-8922-AB156EA219E4.jpeg

03B27F4F-CB87-4A9E-AB54-2925B71556D3.jpeg

Can't say I have. I use plain old Schweppes, about 50/50 ratio in a standard tumbler with five drops of lime juice and exactly three ice cubes. Yeah, I know I'm a bit OCD but it works for me.

Oh, with a 1 ounce bag of Lay's potato chips.

I used to be a Tanqueray man but somehow now find myself drawn to Gordon's.

Can't say I have. I use plain old Schweppes, about 50/50 ratio in a standard tumbler with five drops of lime juice and exactly three ice cubes. Yeah, I know I'm a bit OCD but it works for me.

Oh, with a 1 ounce bag of Lay's potato chips.

I used to be a Tanqueray man but somehow now find myself drawn to Gordon's.

Agree. For a gin and tonic Gordon's tastes almost like Beefeaters or Tanqueray especially when you're diluting with tonic. Different story for martinis. Then Gordons is terrible and you can appreciate the price difference.

As for tonic I use Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic water. Toigh to find but available on Amazon

Agree. For a gin and tonic Gordon's tastes almost like Beefeaters or Tanqueray especially when you're diluting with tonic. Different story for martinis. Then Gordons is terrible and you can appreciate the price difference.

As for tonic I use Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic water. Toigh to find but available on Amazon
Interesting thing I recently found out. Both Tanqueray and Gordon's are owned by the same company; https://www.royalwarrant.org/company/tanqueray-gordon-co-limited

I had a bad experience with gin probably 40 plus years back, still can't get near it. Bourbon neat, rum, tequila even vodka mixed once in a while. My departed dad used to drink tonic water alone for arthritis, I used to kid him that it works better with booze mixed in.

I often end up with Diet-Tonic in order to reduce calories. A sacrifice that this Diabetic is willing to take.

You may want to check the entire Fever Tree line. I too am diabetic and they make a light tonic, very low in sugar, and I believe all the blends use natural agave sugar and lower in content than typical tonic water

I hate gin, but I love Indian tonic water. They have reduced the amount of quinine sulphate in it because that is supposedly seriously bad for your heart.

"Gin was mother’s milk to her. Besides, he poured so much down his own throat he knew the good of it."

There is quite a bit of sugar in tonic water. I wish there was a half-diet kind, I hate the taste of all-artificial sweetener drinks.

I use cheap gin for G&T's. I do have a big bottle of Bombay Sapphire that I use sparingly for martinis. It's too nice (and pricey) to mix with tonic.

Oddly, I usually hate anything bitter, including hoppy beers (looking at you, IPA) but I like G&T's.

To me, an ice cold G&T on a hot summer day really hits the spot. This weekend we might see the 70's in the northwest and that's probably close enough. It's been a rough week; I just received my ST-70 back from the shop, Saturday is "Record Store Day" and I'm ready to rumble.

I think a bottle of Tank might be in my future or perhaps I might try Gordon's on your recommendation.

Happy Friday

Back
Top Bottom