Why do gin and tonics taste so danged good

You may want to check the entire Fever Tree line. I too am diabetic and they make a light tonic, very low in sugar, and I believe all the blends use natural agave sugar and lower in content than typical tonic water
The Fever Tree tonic is great & their light version is a nice step up from say Polar diet tonic, which is good but not in the same league.

The Cinchona tree ( Cinchona officinalis) is the source of the bark used to extract quinine. This is a rather handsome tree that grows in the Peruvian jungles. It’s use as a cure for Yellow Fever was well known by the native people in the region but first came to the attention of the Europe in 1633 when the Italian physician Sebastiano Bado reported he used the plant to cure the wife of the viceroy in Lima. The Cinchona tree itself is available in US nurseries and can be grown in the southern part of the US.

7FEF28EB-2817-435C-B19B-1816105B1E03.jpeg

CDFA56D4-2F93-4956-8C8D-DCEBD8E3DDBC.jpeg

I can't take gin either. You can put 1 drop into 1 glass of mix and taste the gin to the bottom. I guess it's cause I'm in the Carolina's. Pine tree country.

If any of you in the PNW, I highly recommend trying this gin:
IMG_6131.JPG

Not sure about G&T, but it's the best for martinis that I've ever had.
The distillery and tasting room is on NW 23rd.

Gordon's is my mainstay gin, but whenever I go to Costco I pickup a bottle of Kirkland Signature London Dry Gin it's excellent and inexpensive.

223461_z.jpg

Gordon's is my mainstay gin, but whenever I go to Costco I pickup a bottle of Kirkland Signature London Dry Gin it's excellent and inexpensive.

223461_z.jpg

Love the Kirkland gin and French vodka. Unfortunately Costco in Tennessee doesn't carry the kirkland brand so have to wait until I go to Lexington Kentucky to the costco there

The History of Gin is so interesting. It started out life, in Europe, as "medicine" Juniper berries and various herds, were have I heard that line before. It was introduced into the Great Britain during the restoration 1660. Gin mills started up and what amounted to moonshine flavored with juniper berries, and all sorts of other stuff was produced.
Reading contemporary accounts it was some pretty nasty stuff, the lead distillers didn't help. The good stuff was developed in India were they had herbs that actually made for a good distilled liquor, and, of course, the Gin and Tonic.
. :beerchug:

Gin's direct ancestor is a Dutch distillation called Jenever traditionally bottled in a ceramic (stone) bottle. I have never had the opportunity to try any of it.

a-v-wees-de-ooievaar-old-oude-genever-netherlands-10485758.jpg

Last edited:
I drink a lot of them. With a squeeze of key lime. When I want nice sippin' it's gin on the rocks with a couple of shakes or three of Angostura bitters. Gin n bitters is da bomb.

If they could make something that tastes like gin* but had no alcohol the world would be a better place, at least in my book

*Gordon's Dry Gin, in particular.

No, we would be no better off without alcohol. We would still find a reason to want to kill each other. But enough of that, too much of a buzzkill. We need the alcohol in the drink for the “bite” that it provides.

As for why it tasted so great, I don’t know. I am drinking one now, but more research is needed.

I can't take gin either. You can put 1 drop into 1 glass of mix and taste the gin to the bottom. I guess it's cause I'm in the Carolina's. Pine tree country.

I am in S.C, an awful place unless you are in Greenville, and I am not. I have loved Gin since the first time I have tasted it!

The Cinchona tree ( Cinchona officinalis) is the source of the bark used to extract quinine. This is a rather handsome tree that grows in the Peruvian jungles. It’s use as a cure for Yellow Fever was well known by the native people in the region but first came to the attention of the Europe in 1633 when the Italian physician Sebastiano Bado reported he used the plant to cure the wife of the viceroy in Lima. The Cinchona tree itself is available in US nurseries and can be grown in the southern part of the US.

View attachment 1167963

View attachment 1167964
AC011.jpg

Thanks, Malaria!

View attachment 1167963

View attachment 1167964
I want that tree in my back yard.
Of course it would probably cover my whole back yard and than some.

...but who gives a crap. I Want IT! NOW!
(all of a sudden I feel my inner Verruca Salt coming out)

Interesting. I like some of the good Reverends stuff when he keeps to the blues and rockabilly but this is more edging towards early Pink Floyd. He should stick to rockabilly.

Back
Top Bottom