1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do gin and tonics taste so danged good

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by the skipper, Apr 18, 2018.

1. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

Had a very tasty gin & tonic this past week made with Monkey 47.

John

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

[​IMG]

Yes please.

3. valvenator

valvenator curious bystander, serious procrastinator Subscriber

Thanks to whomever started the Bombay Sapphire Gin and Fever-Tree tonic threads, I've become a fan of Gin.
    It's something I'd swear I'd never be a few years back.
    Since Bombay is my scale right now, how does the Hendrick's compare?

4. MannyE

Apples and oranges really.

Hendrick's isn't traditional in that it's infused with rose and cucumber. Yeah... I thought the same thing when I first heard about it, and coincidentally I was a die-hard Bombay Sapphire fan. One G&T made with club soda and "El Guapo British Colonial Style Tonic Syrup" (which if you haven't tried.... you should) instead of a pre-bought tonic water was enough to change my allegiance! It's now my favorite. Even if you try it and don't like Hendrick's, do yourself a favor and get a bottle of that syrup and make your own tonic water!

However, when I'm out of El Guapo, Fever Tree is the best!

ducati_EL34 likes this.
  5. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Heading north to Maine in a few weeks and just noticed the New Hampshire State liquor stores have the regular white label Bombay on sale, 1.75ml for $25 each. I might have to wave in one or three.

6. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

Prefer it to the Sapphire. Also fond of Boodles gin.

7. RT Fan

RT Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

As do I, don't need the extra alcohol when drinking G&T's, because like potato chips, you can't have just one. (Considering I make them in pint glasses!) :beerchug:

Bill Ferris, the skipper and KeninDC like this.
  8. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

It's 86 here right now...and you guys are makin' me mighty thirsty. Seagram's is my gin of choice for tonics. I have a couple of mugs dedicated for G&Ts...park 'em in the freezer for a couple of hours, pull 'em out when they're nice & frosty, add ice, a generous dollop of gin...and then enough lime to give the mixture an appealing faint blue hue. Swig heartily & repeat until prostrate:)

RT Fan likes this.
  9. MannyE

In about a week it will be 86 at 5AM here in "surface of the wet sun" miami beach and G&T is the only way to stay cool and put up with the douchebag contingent.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  10. JosephH

JosephH AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Polar Diet Tonic with Lime is ideal. Of course, I also add fresh lime if available. Great summertime drink to cool me down!

RT Fan likes this.
  11. ducati_EL34

ducati_EL34 Super Member

707CCC3E-FC59-4DBF-B766-FB053CF45DBB.jpeg

Gordon’s. Next up is a Gin Made in Charleston S.C.

12. ducati_EL34

ducati_EL34 Super Member

Oh you don’t like booze. :rolleyes: :D That explains your sentence regarding Gin. Not all Gin is the same. There are many different types of Gin, each with own unique tastes.

Bill Ferris and DogsPart2 like this.
  13. hemiram

hemiram Active Member

I tolerate most booze, but every GIn I've tried, wow, nothing but disgusting. Kind of like tomatoes. Yeah, I hate them big time.

14. ducati_EL34

ducati_EL34 Super Member

Yum. There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich with mayo salt and pepper!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Bill Ferris likes this.
  15. Long time Bombay Sapphire drinker for Martinis and G&T.

Lately, I prefer Hendricks for Martinis (very dry, up with Blue Cheese stuffed olives, shaken not stirred, thank you). However for G&T it is strictly Bombay Sapphire with fresh lime and good tonic water.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  16. gtv2000

gtv2000 AK Subscriber Subscriber

For me it's Gilbey's and Squirt (an old college drink where I developed my gin drinking skills)

Tanqueray for G&Ts

and Sapphire for Martinis.

shagman03 and Bill Ferris like this.

17. hemiram

hemiram Active Member

I hate mayo almost as much as tomatoes. #1 on my hate list, nothing comes close, it ranch dressing. Just the smell of it makes me retch.

18. tnmike1

tnmike1 AK Member Subscriber

Good tonic is fever tree Mediterranean tonic designed for gin and tonic or Q tonics

19. tnmike1

Just got some Tanqueray Rangpur. Supposedly more fruity and don't need a lime or lemon. I'll see later tonight. Mixing with fever tree Mediterranean tonic

20. tnmike1

Follow up. Waaay too much fruit for me BUT today tried it with Sprite and a good balance. Won't buy it again since I like classic juniper with a touch of lime. This is way over the top lime and other fruits...way far from classic gin

Bill Ferris likes this.