Why do i hear some kind of ringing from earphone jack?

bikingbuddha

I have an old marantz SR-73. I just plugged in my headphones since it had been driving speakers since the day i bought them. I can hear some ringing vibration kind of thing from them even if the music is not playing. While music is playing i can distinguish it from music as well. What may cause this? something wrong with it? it is there in speakers as well but it is inaudible unless increase the volume very high without any music.

You already know this is not a normal behavior. Without an oscilloscope or at least a pc based oscilloscope (a free software like Visual Analyzer and a probe to connect the pc to the amp) it will be difficult to trace.

The fact it increases with the volume control means the problem is generated before the control.

Try to discard a switching power supply as the source of the noise. Disconnect any notebook or any devices with switching power supplies from your AC line.

You already know this is not a normal behavior. Without an oscilloscope or at least a pc based oscilloscope (a free software like Visual Analyzer and a probe to connect the pc to the amp) it will be difficult to trace.

The fact it increases with the volume control means the problem is generated before the control.

Try to discard a switching power supply as the source of the noise. Disconnect any notebook or any devices with switching power supplies from your AC line.

I am gonna take the receiver and plug it in to a clean power source and see.

Actually i am running my receiver connected to a UPS, i don't know if it is doing any power conditioning for it.

The UPS should be a very clean power supply, but I don't know if it will filter noises from other devices.

Try to unplug all the devices you don't trust, including the UPS, to determine if the fail is generated at the receiver.

Alright here is an update. I checked whether if it is coming from the speakers,

#1. It comes from speakers as well
#2. Ground strap didn't work
#3. It exists in all modes, AM, FM, CD, LD, VCR1, VCR2, PHONO,

Did you disconnect the UPS? Also, disconnect notebooks, led lights , electronic dimmers, everything with a switching Mode power supply. You don't want to start fixing your amp to discover the problem was some noise from the AC line.

A recording of the noise can help to identify it.

Back
Top Bottom