Why do people have so many mixed views about Kiss?

No denying that they were incredibly successful and savvy. But I never liked them and always thought that the music itself was unexceptional and incredibly mediocre, if well-executed.

Kiss performing Detroit Rock City during an ABC television broadcast The Paul Lynde Halloween Special. Air date October 29th, 1976. Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Peter Criss, Paul Lynde, Margaret Hamilton (The Wicked Witch Of The West), Billie Hayes (Witchiepoo).

I was a KISS fan for about a month or two way back in the day but I got over it. Nothing personal, just not my cup of tea. Lot's o' fish in the ocean, I'll go after the ones I like and you are free to do the same. :)
Yeah, Kiss was a flash in the pan for me as well, or maybe a ballistic missile would better describe. I think it was this song Detroit Rock City that was responsible for my L200's getting me evicted (the first of three times actually before I bought my own place far out in the countryside). :rockon:

i didnt like them back in the day
but the bob ezrin stuff is kewl
i sold used records up until about 1985, kiss albums that still had the kiss army stuff were huge sellers

I read the first page of responses.... Here's my take. Kiss came out after Disco killed rock and roll. I was a year out of high school and a couple of grade school kids came up to me on a schoolyard basketball court and asked - Don't you just love KISS???

No, it wasn't the Rock and Roll I grew up on and they had Zero , Zippy appeal to me, never, not once, not ever. No redeeming value what-so-ever. I'm not overstating the obvious.

that's my 2 cents on the Genesis and History of KISS...

I'm 54 and my family still gives me crap about being a KISS fan back in the day.
At 14, they were the shit. Saw them live in 78 and they blew me away.
If DRC comes on the radio, hell yeah I'm cranking it up!
Karen Carpenter might come on next and I'll leave the volume right there, too.
"YOU WANT THE BEST? YOU GOT THE BEST! THE GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD... KISS!!"

I was 12 in 1976 and lived and breathed KISS. I still maintain a nostalgic penchant for listening to them now and then. Ace Frehley's 1978 solo album will always be a favorite. I recently discovered that some of Peter Criss's solo albums are not nearly as bad as KISS fans make them out to be. "Out of Control" is actually really good, imo.

I wouldn't trade being 12 in 1976 for being 12 in 1966. KISS gets more playtime than the Beatles ever will!

If DRC comes on the radio, hell yeah I'm cranking it up!
Karen Carpenter might come on next and I'll leave the volume right there, too.

That's the spirit! I'm listening to a Mantovani Mono London blue-back as I pontificate about KISS!

Never did, still don't have much, if any, opinion re: the merits of their music, stage show, the props, etc., but I was dogone impressed that they inspired the creation of The Kiss Army:

kiss army.jpg

Had a funny story about Kiss come from my 77 year old dad this past year. He recalls me making him listen to a full Kiss album during my senior year of school '76. I had to reassure him that I would never have done such thing as I never liked the band and would have never had an album of theirs........thought about it some more and remembered having him listen to the full album of Night At The Opera by Queen the week after it came out as I was so impressed with their musicianship.

Funny how the generation gap was in full effect........as I was so amped up, and he simply tolerated it.

Had a funny story about Kiss come from my 77 year old dad this past year. He recalls me making him listen to a full Kiss album during my senior year of school '76. I had to reassure him that I would never have done such thing as I never liked the band and would have never had an album of theirs........thought about it some more and remembered having him listen to the full album of Night At The Opera by Queen the week after it came out as I was so impressed with their musicianship.

Funny how the generation gap was in full effect........as I was so amped up, and he simply tolerated it.

Could two "rock" bands sound less alike? Lol. Great story.

Back
Top Bottom