Why do people have so many mixed views about Kiss?

Had a funny story about Kiss come from my 77 year old dad this past year. He recalls me making him listen to a full Kiss album during my senior year of school '76. I had to reassure him that I would never have done such thing as I never liked the band and would have never had an album of theirs........thought about it some more and remembered having him listen to the full album of Night At The Opera by Queen the week after it came out as I was so impressed with their musicianship.

Funny how the generation gap was in full effect........as I was so amped up, and he simply tolerated it.

Your story reminds me of a time when my own father, now in his mid 80s, burst into my room while i was listening to s.t. by Black Sabbath -- Master Of Reality IIRC -- and told me I should listen to something worthwhile, like maybe The Beatles. Lol.

My Dad and I do have jazz appreciation in common as he did get a chance to play in the Stan Kenton band in the late '50s for a while during his college days. We still catch an occasional festival when we can, very enjoyable.

I was born in 77 and missed their zenith. When they did their reunion/comeback with the full make-up, they also made that movie "Detroit Rock City". It was filmed in Toronto and I was around 20 at the time. My good friend was an accountant for the company responsible for extras. I had a full time job, but was able to make it to a few things, including the big rock show scene from the end of the movie. It was filmed at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton.

They put an open call in the local papers to try and fill the stands, which surprisingly weren't even half full. However the people who showed up were true fans and were all dressed up or rep'n hard. On the floor in front of the stage was all extras. We all underwent some minor wardrobe or sideburns/wigs and out we went. They set up the shots using a popular local cover band. Then KISS came out and lip synced the song about 4 times.

In spite of it not being live, I understood that night why the fans love them so much. Their albums have never really moved me, but I think they are one of the best live. They understood something about the live show that eludes most rock bands.

Really.
You have to give them credit for that - I don't think there was anything even close to that before then. The 1st concert in 74 was the best one IMO. They had the makeup but the costumes were basically black/silver and minimal compared to the later, outlandish tours.
I always bought their records and we rocked and rolled all day and partied every night but even back in the day they always seemed to be two bands, the recorded one and then the one we went to see.
Alive was freakin' spot on tho...

Truth be told, I never got into them.

But I knows a money machine when I sees one. ;)

Truth be told, I never got into them.

But I knows a money machine when I sees one. ;)
Gene Simmons was born Chaim Witz in Israel. His mother was a concentration camp survivor. They emigrated to New York where the family was "dirt poor." I read an article about Simmons once where he said he vowed to never be poor again. Most likely the motivation behind his efforts.

Gene Simmons was born Chaim Witz in Israel. His mother was a concentration camp survivor. They emigrated to New York where the family was "dirt poor." I read an article about Simmons once where he said he vowed to never be poor again. Most likely the motivation behind his efforts.

Yes, I watched an interview with him where he stated as such. If I recall correctly, he said in Israel, they litterally lived with dirt floors.

It was all meant to be a show.
Entertaining.

They had good music in the beginning. Some of the ones above are quite good.

It became a corporation and went to hell just like almost every successful enterprise.
Nothing new there.

Its just a bunch of people working to make money.
That may be what tastes bad.
It wasn't meant to be anything more than fun for profit.

Great musical artists that only work towards great music seem to live modest lives and/or die poor.

Mozart didn't end up well.

I cannot state it any better than this. Quoted for truth.

I still get ants in my pants to dance when I hear such classics as "Baby Driver", "Love Her All I Can" and "Save Your Love". I know what opinions are like, and yes, I have one, but these are solid, rock and roll tunes, nothing more, and I still enjoy them.

I cannot state it any better than this. Quoted for truth.

I still get ants in my pants to dance when I hear such classics as "Baby Driver", "Love Her All I Can" and "Save Your Love". I know what opinions are like, and yes, I have one, but these are solid, rock and roll tunes, nothing more, and I still enjoy them.

They understood the original recipe of rock which was fun, cars and dancing.

Did Queen have The Queen Army?

Yes, Mystic. They did. :p

When I FINALLY got to see KISS in 2003, Paul Stanley went out over the crowd on some kind of boom/wrecking ball thing. Literally holding on to a steel cable, with those platform boots standing on this ball attached to a cable.

And the man was STILL fit (had to be in his mid 50's??).

And yes, it was a hell of a show. Gene, however, had taken ill, and was sweating profusely. You could tell he didn't feel good, but he still hung in there. We were joking among ourselves how the demon had morphed into the Fat Demon.

"I am the INCUBUS....I LAY THE EGG IN YOU! (cough cough....cough....pass me that chicken leg....cough cough.....and some gravy....)

:D

KISS was an immediate post-college guilty pleasure. I got to see them live while they were recording the first KISS Alive album. It was probably the worst band pairing I've ever seen. The first version of Journey was the opener and Greg Rolie was ready to climb down into the orchestra pit and throw down with a heckler who wasn't going to be patient about sitting through the opening act. Rolie asked the kid how many sopors he had eaten before the show, then shook his head and started their next tune, IIRC. I never took the face paint and costumes all that seriously, I just saw them as a much louder and more over the top 1970's version of Paul Revere and the Raiders.

An added recollection from that night, as the four of us were driving to the theater for the show the guy who was driving said, "I hear the bass player spits fire and pukes blood. I'll pay $5.00 to see that any day."

Last edited:
I was 12 in 1976 and lived and breathed KISS. I still maintain a nostalgic penchant for listening to them now and then. Ace Frehley's 1978 solo album will always be a favorite. I recently discovered that some of Peter Criss's solo albums are not nearly as bad as KISS fans make them out to be. "Out of Control" is actually really good, imo.

I wouldn't trade being 12 in 1976 for being 12 in 1966. KISS gets more playtime than the Beatles ever will!

I understand how you feel, I turned 13 the same month the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show and wouldn't trade those years for any other era. Likewise, the Beatles get far, far more playtime here than KISS ever will, and I really enjoyed their albums through KISS Alive.

When I FINALLY got to see KISS in 2003, Paul Stanley went out over the crowd on some kind of [...]

2003 IIRC was informally "The Reunion Tour." Of course this was after the circa 98/99 grand finale (last time ever, never to be seen again) "Farewell Tour."
And, here we were in our late 40s trying to dig up old drug dealers to scoreKiss_-_Ace_Frehley_(1977).jpg again so we could relive our "Flaming Youth."
Sheesh, talk about marketing!
Well, um....

I have one Kiss album, Creatures of the Night, on vinyl. A friend gave it to me because I like the track "I love it loud", after hearing them on Beavis and Butthead. So I'm probably not the best person to comment on it.

But I think the attitude people have towards them is because of Gene Simmons. He seems to think he has discovered/invented everything from ice cream, to fire, to rock music, and everything in between.

Lee.

I have one Kiss album, Creatures of the Night, on vinyl. A friend gave it to me because I like the track "I love it loud", after hearing them on Beavis and Butthead. So I'm probably not the best person to comment on it.

But I think the attitude people have towards them is because of Gene Simmons. He seems to think he has discovered/invented everything from ice cream, to fire, to rock music, and everything in between.

Lee.

Well, I wasn't going to go there, but since leesonic did, here's the best thing ever - Craig Gass just roasting the hell out of Gene and his shellac-ed helmet hair.

Back
Top Bottom