Why do people have so many mixed views about Kiss?

Gene Simmons was born Chaim Witz in Israel. His mother was a concentration camp survivor. They emigrated to New York where the family was "dirt poor." I read an article about Simmons once where he said he vowed to never be poor again. Most likely the motivation behind his efforts.

Yes, I watched an interview with him where he stated as such. If I recall correctly, he said in Israel, they litterally lived with dirt floors.

Intimate interview with Gene Simmons - Dan Rather

At the 1978 show, TONS of guys all over the stadium were blowing fire by filling their mouths with butane - some with lighters, some with larger butane cans.
You could feel the BTU's. It was amazing.

Regardless whether it's Kiss or any other band I don't go to the concert or buy the music to be enlightened; just entertained.

So true. I can't think of anything more idiotic than turning to my music collection for enlightenment! Lol! Rock stars.....prophets, bwhaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

A bit of nostalgia for me..I like the 1st 4 studio albums..they are what they are, basic rock and roll.
But as others have noted..Gene really ruined it.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yeah an invite for demons if you listen to this garbage

Got my own theory on the great variance of appreciation...could it be they might have been a tad on the heavy side of make up? :D They did set the scene for future mimics.

Q

I think Kiss gets a bad rap and many people don't give them a chance due to Simmons being a jack$&! & people can't get past the make-up. I really think the makeup & the over the top marketing really turns a lot of people off and then don't give the music a real chance because everyone trashes them. I was a HUGE Kiss fan back in the day and I love all of their output from the debut through 1982. Yes...including Unmasked, the solo albums, The Elder...I love all of it to this day. I love their "hard rock Beatles" approach for lack of a better description, but it always seemed to me what they were mostly trying to do musically. I know I may be in the minority here but I love their music with the original lineup (as well as Dynasty, Unmasked, Elder & Creatures when Anton Fig was carrying more of the load and the core lineup also changed). I can put on any of those albums from '74 to '82 and not have to skip one song (aside from Rock N Roll All Nite which I am so tired of). I was never a collector of their merchandise and think they should have stopped after the reunion tour (to me any version of Kiss pales to the original 4 members from a musical standpoint).

I guess you either get their music or you just don't...I'm very glad I do.

Last edited:
I was 5 in 1977, and a kid in my neighborhood started collecting KISS cards.
He showed them to me, and I was hooked. I liked the Abbott & Costello monster movies, Vincent Price, comic books, science fiction toys, etc., so it seemed cool and interesting along the same lines.
I would bug my Mom for some money, and buy a pack of cards from the ice cream truck, try and trade other kids if I had duplicates.
I had a decent collection before I ever heard their music.
My cousin gave me the Detroit Rock City/Beth 45, and I was really hooked.
Mom and Dad listened to lots of good music, but this was MY thing!
Comic book superheroes playing loud, dumb rock and roll.
I was obsessed through the rest of the 70's and early 80's.
Collected all the magazines, posters, etc.

At some point, better bands and changing tastes brought me elsewhere, but to this day, I can play pretty much every record through Dynasty on guitar/drums/bass, every solo note-for-note.
My big 3 influential guitarists as a kid starting out were Ace Frehley, Angus Young, and Eddie Van Halen.

Do I think KISS is cheesy now? Yep. Do I still love 'Dressed To Kill'? Yep.
Still a kid at heart...

Last edited:
Their tunes had hooks and were very simple.
Think Detroit Rock City. When you hear it, don't tell me your head doesn't start bobbing. Don't even.
YOU WANT THE BEST - YOU GOT THE BEST - THE GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD... KISS!

I saw them live back in the seventies one of the loudest concerts I ever went to.
Kind of a kid type band. Still like the (Cold Gin) song off Kiss from 1974.

Best-

Boozehound

Really.
You have to give them credit for that - I don't think there was anything even close to that before then. The 1st concert in 74 was the best one IMO. They had the makeup but the costumes were basically black/silver and minimal compared to the later, outlandish tours.
I always bought their records and we rocked and rolled all day and partied every night but even back in the day they always seemed to be two bands, the recorded one and then the one we went to see.
Alive was freakin' spot on tho.

Later on somewhere in the 2000s my son got into Slipknot and I was appalled!:yikes:

And don't forget... as far the make-up and hard rock went, Alice Cooper was doing that since around 1969..... That early acid-trippy-rock that Alice was doing back then was far better than anything that Kiss ever did.... Alice was a true show-man and rock star, pushing his craft as far as he and his band could..... and although I went through a phase of really liking Kiss, they always felt like imitations of Alice.... that original AC band was a bit special (and a lot of his later stuff has been pretty damn good too!!), but I never felt that Kiss matched up musically.... far simpler rock'n roll stuff, and not a lot that was too creative....one or two tracks were different, and stood out - God Of Thunder was always a favourite, and Black Diamond too.... and a bit later, I loved, and still Do, "Mr Crowley" off The Elder... that immense bass line..... Yeah!! :D
But... make-up and hard rock? Alice had it covered... ;)

Back
Top Bottom