Why do people keep their expensive amps on the floor?

I get the feeling that El Pee was not talking about audio racks.

This is a thread about stereos?
Rats!! Wrong forum again!

This means that right now someone reading 'BikiniKarma' is confused by my question about unequal-length speaker wires and impedance differences...

In all seriousness though, I had always assumed that the big amps were low to the ground because of their weight. Another thing that is not discussed in this thread is the convenience factor; I'd rather have my tuner and CDP and arm's level so i don't have to bend to use them, the amp is fine down below because I rarely need to touch it. (It stays 'on' all the time, but that is another thread.) The TT is on top, naturally.

Serious question. So many pictures of expensive gear being kept on the floor. Since this stuff often costs 5,ooo or more I am assuming cash for a stand isn't the concern. Why are people keeping such pricey stuff on the floor?

Classic gear photo = basement room, window draped in a blanket, stuff on floor. Puzzles me.

I have always wondered the same thing .

..... A dealer told me he wants a straight line in speaker cable from amp out to speaker in. I am not here to judge. That was the only reason I've heard from one party.....

Just think how important keeping the cable straight will be when we can finally all buy speaker wire in which all the conductor molecules are lined up in a straight line!

The only cat I ever had liked to lay in front of a kerosene heater . I would reach down to pet the cat and the cat was so hot , it was uncomfortable to touch .

The normal body temperature of Felis catus would be a dangerous fever for a human. Many of them like to be warm. REALLY warm. It's why they lay in the sun all the time. A quick review of some basic veterinary literature suggests that they don't get uncomfortable until their skin temperature is somewhere north of 126*F, and can tolerate even higher temperatures if they have access to water. They're descended from desert creatures.

Just think how important keeping the cable straight will be when we can finally all buy speaker wire in which all the conductor molecules are lined up in a straight line!

Yup. I glaze over every time someone goes into cable rants but ... each to their own. I have witnessed people paying as much or more for interconnects etc. then they paid for their gear. My favorite is power cable. To plug into the wall utilizing the cheapest copper the contractor could get at the time. It all makes so much sense. But to point this out causes a storm of backlash. I once was involved in a high end cable brand. I couldn't go on with it anymore as I just didn't feel it was a good use of my time nor healthy.

so we've gone from why people put their amps on the floor to the average body temperature or the average house cat and cooking one... I love this thread!

Last edited:
I have to say this has been an entertaining thread. Someone asks, what I though was an interesting question. Got a few legit answers, but a lot of folks jumped him and demanded he "show us these pictures of which he speaks"! Nobody really said it just like that, but still. Chill out people. I still think it's a good question. My guesses are much of what has been mentioned already--Weight, Temperature, Convenience, etc. Personally, I can't stand bending down to floor level to do anything anymore. Get those knobs at eye level while I'm in my chair= perfect.

Back
Top Bottom