WHY DO people like old cars, anyway?

rca2000

I am going to raise a few eyebrows withthis, but I am curious: WHY do old "standard"(and by that, I mean, non-muscle type, non-exciting ) cars, attract people for, anyway? NOW-- Let me be CLEAR on what I am talking about-- specifically, late '60's to early '80's non fuel-injected cars,in particular, 70's cars, that were a JOKE, in that they had NO power(typical accelleration figures of 14 seconds or MORE, from 0 to 60, WITH a v-8 of 350 or bigger, )TERRIBLE gas mileage, (12 MPG was considered GOOD), took FOREVER to stop, Cornered like a big rig,they WORE OUT, at UNDER 100k,the bodies rusted away, and so on . This applied to cars like a 1973 Caprice, montego, grand-am, dodge coronet, etc. I mean, a 1975 mercury Monarch, with a 302, ONLY put out 130HP!!, Form a 302!!

As some know, I am thinking of buying an older car, right now. BUT-- the "old" car, I am considering, is an '89, with port injection, and good suspension. It does 0-60 in UNDER 10 seconds, handles corners like some sports cars,and stops from 60 in about 150ft. Whats more, the fuel mileage is about 23mpg average--, and with care, it would go to over 200-250k miles, before it is ready for the junkyard.

SO, after seing some reports on those old '70's cars, and the pi$$-poor ratings, I must say ,that I would NEVER want to get one, for ANY reason. I can understand the fascination with the cars from the '50's, and to the nmid-60's, but the '70's cars , in my opinion, were pure JUNK. I owned one, a 77 buick regal, and it was SLOW, it drank the gas,(350 v-8) it was VERY unreliable, I couldn't usually go more than a month or so, before it needed serious repairs, and it handled poorly. My Olds I had recently, (till 2003) would had left it about halfway behind it, in a race, with a SMALLER engine, and nearly DOUBLE the gas mileage!! And, up till about 200k, I had good luck with the Olds, needing only general repairs, every 6 months or so, and the biggest thing to fail, up till then, was the ball-joints and wheel bearings, at about 160k. The same applied to the 78 Dodge Magnum XE, my mother owned, I driove it a couople of times, and it was NOT that fast, for a 360v-8.

Unlike old audio equipment, which seems to go forever, with a little maintenance, 70's cars seem to be junk, at under 100k, and as far as I am concerned, 70's cars, wiht a few exceptions are pure JUNK!!!!!

Maybe it's because new cars have no soul these days???

Would you rather be in a Neon or a Gremlin??

Maybe that's a bad example, but you get my drift.........

Because I prefer a car with coolness. Don't take me wrong. But that puny piece of tin car you are considering, I wouldn't take it if it was given to me. Those kind of cars give me gas, they are bad for the digestion. They ride like crap, they sound like crap, they are crap. OK, take this how I said it. You don't like cars I like and your cars are crap. But hey, whatever gets you to work I suppose.
The best thing about old cars is the ride my friend. Ever been in a 78 Grand Marquis wagon at 100? It just floats, the engine is doing about 1400 rpm, and not even breathing hard. My '69 Skylark is the same way, pinky finger power steering, rides like a couch, and can light'em up with the flick of a toe.
I really hate posts that act all nice and then go and diss things that you know people on AK enjoy. Maybe I just don't have patience tonight, or maybe I've had a bad week, or maybe I'm channeling both Russ and TA tonight. However, I still won't be driving a tinbox car to work tomorrow, so all's good.

dis-claimer, for others here who like itty-bitty tin type cars, I don't mean your particular car sucks. ;)

I dunno,I always wanted a Cordoba,espescially in that two-toned gold and black paint job,with the "Fine Corinthian Leather"(Thanks,Ricardo!).Maybe Im just channeling my high school days,when I lusted after one.
Jimmy

Maybe because cars back then didn't require a degree in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering to fix, and that you could do it yourself 99% of the time? Maybe because back then, a car looked like a car and not carved out of a bar of soap and had four wheels stuck on it? Maybe because they actually had some steel in 'em instead of plastic? Maybe because we could actually fit in even some of the smaller ones? Maybe because back then that was all we had?

I will gladly make an exception for the time period of 1973 to 1976; the cars of those years had the unhappy combination of mandatory seat belt interlocks (1974) and incredibly complex pollution reduction gear just hung all over engines as to make them nearly undriveable, because unleaded gas and catalytic converters didn't come onto the market until 1977, and the bodies in '73 to '76 had been the huge, non-downsized ones designed in the mid-'60's. The cars of this unfortunate four-year period had railroad ties for bumpers and were admittedly ugly as sin, too. I wouldn't even take a free Porsche from that era! But the other years--- (for sake of discussion) 1967 to 1972, and 1977 to 1980--- depending on the make, model, and condition, I'd consider buying, and I dare predict that the '77 to '80 years will become the next bunch of cars that hot-rodders turn to. All the sources for older iron are just about tapped out.

All this having been said, my present car is a '98 Taurus wagon. Actually, I think it's great. Decent size, great mileage, spacious, good ride and handling, and in the two or three years I've had it, all it's needed is a starter. But I always have a nagging worry in the back of my mind that when it DOES need a repair, I'll be forced to take it to a mechanic instead of doing it myself and 1. learning something, 2. getting self-satisfaction for a job well done, and 3. saving a boatload of cash. Just as one instance, I was shocked to learn that to remove the heater core, the entire dashboard has to come out, an all-day, six pages of instruction job that would have taken ten minutes in my Dad's old Chevy.

Tom

Last edited:
I like older cars, so this ISN'T a dis, but when I did the heater core in my 1970 1/2 Camaro, I had to pull off the left FENDER to get it out.....

My current driver is a 1979 Cordoba.... with 318 2bbl with 35 k miles.....
I like the 318 better than the 400 / 440 in 2 BBl or thermoquad I have owned many of each... 318/340/360/383/400 and 440 at various times... and I like the way the 318 - 360 's come off the line... I never ever got a big block (383 - 440) to do that... and I'm somewhat skilled in mopars....
but once those big blocks got going, I was GONE....

My theory is that the state of the art tin cars nowadays stop better because of their lower weight.... but I don't want to ride in one and have to be pried out with a hurst tool in an accident.

I put my prized 73 Charger into the end of a Jersey Barrier at a measured 55 mph back in 1984... shortened the car 4 feet (real and measured) on the left side of the engine.... and walked away (although I did have to KICK the door open)..... the next day I NEEDED some Ibuprofin, being kinda sore..... ( the first cops on the scene asked me where the ambulance crew had taken the driver.... I had a VERY hard time convincing them I WAS THE DRIVER). Now that's a tough car.(The dent in the roof in the center picture is where the shoulder belt was mounted.)

In a newer car... all bets are off.... but sooner or later I will run out of affordable old estate sale mopars..... then I will get a post 96 car where I can have the computer tell me what is going on/wrong...

Last edited:
It ain't about speed,power or handling. Its all about class. Some cars have it and some don't

Yeah, my '73 Caddy Fleetwood is an absolute PIG to drive around town, but get it out on the interstate, set the cruise control on 70-or whatever, sit back, & let the big dog eat up the miles.. Drape your hand over the top of the wheel, tune in a good FM station, & let's go, baby. Same thing w/the '69 Lincoln, but it has the advantage of no pollution plumbing to throttle everything back, so it will fly. And the "suicide doors"-always a conversation starter. But I'll agree-mid '70s cars were generally abyssimal. The big 3 got out of touch, let the quality go south, & that's when the Japanese made such headway. I had a '76 Olds Cutlass w/a 350 & it was a slow pig until I had it "worked on", & all the revolting-and ineffectual- anti-smog crap went away. Then it ran like a scalded hound !!-Sandy G.

I will agree it was a sad time. I was just getting started as a line wrench in 76 and not fun. There were a few bright spots back then. 1975 TA.

'75 Tits 'n' Ass !! Hell, yeah !! NOW you're talkin'..My college roomate talked his parents into a '79 Formula Firebird for graduation..it was "electric" blue had T-tops, white vinyl seats...and no A/C. For a kid who lived in Virginia Beach..It stays SWELTERING there half the time. The worst thing tho was the motor..a 260 V-8...at least it had a 5-speed, but the thoughts of having to row that tranny all the time to try to eke SOME power outta that mouse motor...Ugh !! At least it was MARGINALLY better than his other car-a '74 Pinto w/an automatic. That car woulda been better off powered by rubber bands...-Sandy G.

HANS device???? In 1984??????? they hadn't even heard of it...
Just Seatbelt with windowshade and shoulder belts WITHOUT any tensioner, just a cinch type slider, which I always wore TIGHT... don't know why, just felt good and I could do all the driving motions ok.
College physics taught me about the pea rattling in the can effect, and I had done mil spec g-force equipment shock/drop tests just a few years earlier.
So I deaccellerated with the passenger compartment, riding the squash energy absorption effect, the passenger compartment BULGED both up and down.... the body is almost touching the ground in the pictures, and the tire is on an 8 inch tall ramp.
There is about a 6 inch dent in the center picture on the roof where the shoulder belt was anchored. ( I had a sore shoulder for a few days...was darn lucky my neck was only sore for about two days with restricted side to side turning).

Six inches to the right, I would have dined on carburator, six inches to the left the barrier woiuld have punched into the passenger compartment.

Yes, God didn't want me yet......

Last edited:
My Mom had a 77 olds that had a big block 403 that I loved! A very comfy car with power to spare. I had a 79 GMC full size truck 350 auto,it was fun really easy steering,easy power breaks. I also think the chevy luv,vega,camero,trans am, are cool cars. I think horse power ratings are almost useless,they can be inflated or deflated for what ever reason (sales or insurence) I would compair it to watts on stereo gear.

I hate to admit it but I love my Olds 69 Vista Cruiser, as it was said before, these cars take on the $hitty roads much better than the light weights of today. The designers made these cars have class and style, just look at the "LINES" from the side views, these cars had "identity", today it's hard to tell a "rice burner" from a domestic, they all look the same, can't these designers be a little more artistic? Another thing about the old cars is the nostalgia, it might be your first car that you crave (mine was a 1969 Chevelle SS 396), or, maybe you associate the music and memories of that era? Another ride on my list of wants is a 72 - 72 Caddy Fleetwood Eldorado rag top, man would that be a gas guzzling cruiser with 500 cubes under the hood and front wheel drive, who cares about the gas price when you use 1 tank a year?? There is one car that makes me let go of the old, well, sort of, the new Mustang, Ford did it up right, then again an old 70's Mustang with a 6 cylinder would be a good investment, nothing special in its time but fun to be in!! :yes:
My Truckster

Geez, I thought this was going to be about older cars. Now some of the ones I lusted after were;

A 1936 McLaughlin Buick coupe with suicide doors and a monster straight eight with pistons the size of baby's thunder mugs, a car with total class.

A a 1939 Lincoln Continental, the one designed by Edsel Ford, only the wussy 12 cylinder had beed replaced with a 1948 Mercury V8.

A 1940 LaSalle (small Cadillac) four door - again just total style, at home anywhere.

A 1955 English Rover with the swooping fenders (wings for my British cousins) that was known as the Hartley Street Rolls because so many doctors drove them. It had this strange F head engine with overhead intake valves and side valve exhaust. Definitely a classy car, unlike so many of today's designs from the jellybean design school.

Since all of these are unavailable we drive his and hers Impalas because we like the evil grin it has coming at you and will blow the doors off most anything around. :D

Rob

It was style....show me 3 cars today ..affordable to the average Joe..with any style...would be hard to do...they all looke the same...same bubble type..buick, chevy..pontiac...all made on the same line...same interiors...same plastic parts...plastic...yuck..

Fords are the same way...look at the focus...shure its econonmiacl..how ever the f*% you spell it! but its butt-fugly....and comfort??...well ...I wouldnt want to take it cross country......get into a rolling parking lot on a friday afternoon bout 5pm..in one of the bigger cities.....all around you are Big-Rigs...now thats scarey!!...been there -done that...dont want to go back...

Look at the cars from ...well...way back when...chrome moulding...heavy fenders...bench seats...and enough room in the back seat to ...well... you know what to do in the back seat of a big ole boat!!....I hope!!!lol..

Its like the difference between an Mac amp..from 67'...and a sony from ...98'....which has the class...the style......new stuff was made to throw away.....

When my Ferd Tempo takes a dump on me ...I'm replacing it with something from the 60s...a mustang...or a Torino...maverick...or my favorite ...a 60 chevy Impala!!

If I'm gonna shell out 9-10 grand for a car....I can get a reel good classic for that price...and will turn heads when I go by.....at least when it takes a dump on me...I can fix it..with a coat hanger and a roll of duct tape...plus parts are cheap and still avilable....a new carb for my merc, a big Autolite 4bbl, was only $165.....valve cover gasgets...$6..for both!..a new cover gasget for my Tempo was $25!!!!..I said FU#@k that...tube of RTV!...$3..

When I see someone in a new car, on the side of the road with the hood open...I say to myself...So!!...whatcha gonna do under there.....no gas?.....no spark?...no run!...how are ya gonna fix that on the side of the road..... The old stuff ...no gas...hmm..fuel pump...or none in the tank... No spark.......points...got another set in the glove box...takes two minuits to change...book of matches sets the gap...off ya go...on the road again!.....and you can use a pair of pantyhose for a belt in a pinch!!...seen it done!!...

Hey Reel, did you have the "manty" hose on or were they in the toolbox?

I like the class of the older cars, and the no monthly payment has a certain charm to it.

The cars in the 70's were not all that bad, certainly not some of the most beautiful cars made but better than some of the crap these days.My 76 T-bird is probably the smoothest ride I have ever been in, and though it is a big smogged out 460 motor it sure does have the power to get all 5000lbs.of it moving fairly quick.Sure it's no muscle car but it sure is class.

Last week I pulled up beside one of those silly looking Smart cars.Looked to be about as long as my front fender, what a joke!One of the ugliest, unsafe looking cars, and people are buying those for what 25 grand.......

Woodward DreamCruise

Here's a heads up for anyone who's looking for fun next weekend, especially Saturday

2006 Woodward DreamCruise

There will only be about a million people there Jack can ask this question of. :thmbsp:

I went last year and hung out with the Grumpy's and had a great time. I know dgwojo was there too and there's threads posted with tons of pics.

If you're reading this thread and can drive in, you really need to consider it. I don't think there's a bigger event anywhere for classic cars :yes:

Here's a scary thought:
Compare a 1972 Volkswagen Beetle to something like a 2004 Ford Taurus. FWIW, the Beetle's wheelbase is only 14" less than the Ford (94.5" vs 108.5")
That Beetle was a "compact" car back then. Rap each fender too, but be careful; you may bust a knuckle on the VW.

Back
Top Bottom