Why do you hate LCD/Plasma

daer21

I know this is probably a stupid question, but why do some of you hate LCD/Plasma? I find lots of people who say they hate them call them BS exct... I'm lost. Why? HDTV obviously looks better than standard def tv... I mean 4 times the pixels is more detailed.... so why do you hate LCD/Plasma...? help a newbie out.

Detail on a still frame might be lovely, set things in motion and things can get ugly.

Some have issues with motion processing, some have issues with reproduction of pure blacks, some have issues with off-axis viewing, some have image burn-in problems, some are hot, some are noisy, etc. etc. etc. Most are still a good bit more $ than rear-pro options, if you have the room and can deal with their own issues. I think some look great; but just as with good audio systems, the better video systems are more likely to reveal flaws in the source media.

Things are getting better, certainly leagues better than at the turn of the century, but each choice out there has compromises.

je [CRT tube (x 2), CRT front pro (recently given away), LCD front pro (recently given away), LCD rear pro, CRT rear pro (given away), plasma flat screen (x 2), LCD flat screen (x 2)]

LCDs have come a long way. When they first came out, I thought the picture was fuzzy, but the new ones look very good. Lcd would be my second choice.

I don't care for the plasmas, because the screens reflect everything so bad. Just as bad as a tube. I've always hated that, but didn't have much choice. Now I do. I saw one of the Panasonic plasmas, that's supposed to have the anti-glare screen. It wasn't as bad, but it still reflected.

I prefer the LCoS technology (Sony SXRD and JVC D-ILA). LCD is second choice. Then DLP. But this is just me. People's personal preferences are different.

I continuously marvel at how good the NFL looks on my 42" Vizio plasma. :yes:

I prefer the new television technologies in every way to the old. The newer HDTVs with 1080P and refresh rates of 120hz are going to solve a lot of problems with the motion blur. I am not a fan of plasma for my needs, but I would take a nice 42 inch plasma for the bedroom rather than a 36 inch, 200 pound monster CRT like I have in my guestroom.:yes:

LCDs for me still have motion problems and the blacks are still not true.

Plasmas I know had the problems of fading out over time, not sure if this is the case still.

DLPs are completly out, I see rainbows and cannot stand it. ( I guess its due to the fact that I cannot see out of one eye)

And price -vs- performance for the price i paid for my sony there is nothing that can touch it. Only down side is that 200lbs and no larger that 34".

Plasmas I know had the problems of fading out over time, not sure if this is the case still.

Maybe on the first ones that came out...

Most now rate their screens at 60,000 hours to 1/2 brightness. That's 25-30 years for most of us. That's two or three times longer than the typical CRT is rated for 1/2 brightness point, and the same as most LCDs are rated.

Dunno about you, but I'm almost positive I'll be ready for a different TV before I have to worry about the screen fading.

Maybe on the first ones that came out...

Most now rate their screens at 60,000 hours to 1/2 brightness. That's 25-30 years for most of us. That's two or three times longer than the typical CRT is rated for 1/2 brightness point, and the same as most LCDs are rated.

Dunno about you, but I'm almost positive I'll be ready for a different TV before I have to worry about the screen fading.

Yea the numbers have improved much. Itl be a few years before we get another unit.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but why do some of you hate LCD/Plasma? I find lots of people who say they hate them call them BS exct... I'm lost. Why? HDTV obviously looks better than standard def tv... I mean 4 times the pixels is more detailed.... so why do you hate LCD/Plasma...? help a newbie out.

HDTV does not equal LCD/plasma. You can get SD flat panels and HD CRTs.

I prefer plasma because they have less motion blur and brighter colors. The thing I don't like about plasma is that they have trouble making certain colors. You often see color banding instead of a continuous shade. Also, certain colors appear noisy. Both of these problems are getting better and aren't usually noticeable from a normal viewing distance.

so why do you hate LCD/Plasma...? help a newbie out.

I wouldn't say I hate either. I just bought my Sony XBR40 three years ago. It was the last year Sony made the big 320 pound monster and the dealers were pricing them to sell quickly because they were really pushing the flat screens. I will eventually move to a newer type but for now I'm still very much enjoying my old tech TV. :yes: It's HD ready when I decide to go that route too. Unless I'm doing a side by side comparison I won't see the difference. Ignorance is bliss. :D Besides I don't have to worry about somebody breaking in and stealing it. :smoke:

Sony LCD

I just bought a Sony LCD and really like it. I was suspicious about how well it
would render my cable TV but it is really very good. I think the LCD vs. plasma
debate is null and void. They are very close in quality and each has it's own
distinct problems. Perhaps plasma still has the edge in really large screens.
Who cares? Buy what you like. What still burns me is how the manufacturers
continually milk more money out of the consumer by selling us things we don't
need. Our format is better than their format, etc. It's VHS vs. Beta all over
again. Except in this case with HD vs. Blu Ray ( or SACD vs DVD-A) there is
no clear winner and the consumer is left spending tons of money. Both formats
will flounder in the marketplace until they replaced by the next "best thing" in a
couple of years. As if the HDTV prices aren't inflated enough, they expect us to keep replacing our players every year with something better. What crap!
I'm sure that there are lots of sides to this argument so let me have it! :D

What still burns me is how the manufacturers
continually milk more money out of the consumer by selling us things we don't
need.

You mean like selling 1080p so that you are "future proof"?

1080p has nothing to do with the future, it has everything to do with screen size and viewing distance. Most people don't sit close enough to their TV to get the resolution benefit that 1080p offers. Let alone not having a true 1080p source...

You mean like selling 1080p so that you are "future proof"?

1080p has nothing to do with the future, it has everything to do with screen size and viewing distance. Most people don't sit close enough to their TV to get the resolution benefit that 1080p offers. Let alone not having a true 1080p source...

Yes, that would be a good example. I bought a 720p Sony. I don't think you
would notice a difference unless you had a really big screen (mine is 32") and as you noted, sit less than 5 ft. away for it. Not to mention, most people do not have HD programming yet. I would wager that by the time I would decide to buy HD programming, it won't even be the "hot" thing anymore. All the retailers and manufacturers should be telling the consumers that the new product that they are spouting off about is only really viable if we spend lots of money on other products. Digital to me has always been too contrasty,
too saturated, too oversharpened. It is getting better all the time but I don't
approve of the tactics used by the makers, sellers and mostly the Media. I
am not what I consider to be paranoid, pessimistic or fanatical but I think the
news media has done a huge injustice to the people by being all about the
sensationalism. It's really sad.

For my needs a plasma was the better choice over LCD. DLP is out because of the expensive replacement bulbs and all the problems they have with the ballasts as well. Also the DLP is noisy as hell with that fan running constantly and still running after the TV is turned off. If you have a wall that doesn't get direct sunlight then I'd recommend a Plasma. LCD's don't create true blacks, don't have the refresh rates you get with a plasma, and are more expensive in the larger sizes.

Mike

Bluray VS. HDDVD

To be fair there was a minor format war when DVD came out and now nobody minds. It seems only natural for there to be. Lets be honest DVD is 13 years old. It's time for a new format. A little competition, while very annoying, is probably healthy. Also I know HDTV/=Flat tv. it just seemed like some people didnt like HD which completely bewildered me. I was obviously mistaken.

To be fair there was a minor format war when DVD came out and now nobody minds. It seems only natural for there to be. Lets be honest DVD is 13 years old. It's time for a new format. A little competition, while very annoying, is probably healthy. Also I know HDTV/=Flat tv. it just seemed like some people didnt like HD which completely bewildered me. I was obviously mistaken.

Oh, don't misunderstand, it's not the format competition as much as the fact that there is no clear better product and by the time the consumer decides to
go with one format, a new "better" format comes out voiding the validity of the ones in question. The companies, instead of admitting that one format has been proclaimed the best for everyone (and maybe I am being shortsighted in thinking that can be) decides to release a brand new format instead. There is not clear progress being made because all the products are new. I agree that DVD is not the best be I have the feeling like it's not so much being improved upon but being replaced by something that doesn't stand a chance. It's not that I'm against progress so much as it frustrates me
as a buyer.

It's a common misconception that if a TV is plasma, lcd, etc... that it must be HD. Up until this year they were many HD TV's available using the old crt technology.

I personally hate LCD, I have not seen one that I liked especially when compared to CRT and Plasma. In my opinion CRT STILL provides the best picture in terms of color and depth, however plasmas are really starting to look nice. I dont know the model number but the best HD TV I have seen was a rear projection CRT Mitsubishi from a couple of years ago. I also like the I-DLA JVC's.

I don't care for the plasmas, because the screens reflect everything so bad. Just as bad as a tube. I've always hated that, but didn't have much choice. Now I do. I saw one of the Panasonic plasmas, that's supposed to have the anti-glare screen. It wasn't as bad, but it still reflected.
The reflection from plasmas is a deal killer for me too. And I just looked at the new Panasonic and while better it still reflects too much. In my family room I have a seven year old Toshiba 56" widescreen HD RPTV and with a large South facing window it's difficult to watch during daylight hours due to reflections. Especially football this time of year when the sun is much lower in the sky. While I think the best plasma picture is better than the best LCD picture the reflections are a big negative and when I buy a new TV for my family room it will be LCD. I have a Sharp 45" LCD hanging on the wall in my bedroom and it looks fantastic for the most part but I do get some bluring with action sequences. LCD's have gotten a LOT better in the past year with higher refresh rates and the motion issue is a thing of the past. Blacks are also much better. LED and OLED back light LCD's are the TV's of the near future and will make most other types of TV's obsolete.

And you really can't compare CRT to the newer technologies because they don't make them big enough.

CRT's are dead, long live thin, light, flat panels hanging on walls! :D

I don't hate either, though i did dislike some of their earlier versions. As previously mentioned, the newer LCDs have a 120 refresh rate that helps eliminte motion problems, and they are getting better with blacks. Plasmas used to have problems with the screen door effect, but newer 1080p versions have dealt with that. My gripes-they don't generally make them big enough (100" doesn't count), and they tend to be overpriced (large ones at least). I've given up on the idea of finding a reasonably priced high quality 70" plasma or LCD.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom