Why do you hate LCD/Plasma

Lets agree to put up with TV's that are just "ok" and get out in the real world more.
Roll in the grass with your shirt off and get itchy.
Get sunburned.
Step in dog shit barefooted.
Do a forward roll.
Sleep in a tent.

Hug a tree.

Tapehead: this is just me but you really ought to upgrade - such a small image (if you're not seated close enough) can easily cause eyestrain in a short time. Most computer monitors are larger than that! And if you're a sports fan that little 13" tube can't be fun to watch.

* they also make a widescreen CRT tube monitor

You're right, Rad. I get eyestrain all the time. But there's more to the story:
My wife and I bought a 42" LCD a couple of weeks ago, and haven't hooked it up yet. It's replacing our 32" CRT when we get the proper table to set it on. I may hook it up despite her protests. I'll wait till she goes to the movies or has her nails done. I just can't move the CRT by myself.

I could put the 32" in my ManShun, but the Manshun is so full of speakers and gear the CRT would be seriously in the way. The room is only 12' x 12'.

I was hoping to get a 26" LCD after Christmas, but the prices haven't come down yet. I think after the Superbowl I might get a deal. A flat panel is required in order to save space.

I'm happy with any teevee that has a good picture. I'd be even happier with a larger screen!

Rick

Yeah, for most 1080p IS hype because they don't sit close enough to the TV to get the benefit of the higher resolution - that is FACT.

When you're sitting two feet away from your computer monitor that's a different story...

I'm sorry I responded to this post.

:no:

*SIGH*

:music:

i have a dlp projector and a 106 inch screen in my movie room. its rated at 4-6000 hours on the bulb. after 1 year-655 hours of use.it should last along time. picture is unreal for the size and the invesment was 399.00 including the screen. 1080 and hd looks outstanding. our boarder has a phillips 37 inch lcd that is sooooo good. tv has definately gotten better. i still find myself watching a 32 year old zenith more than any other set.

Hello Tapehead47. I did not know that you were from Brooklyn. Nice to meet you in internet land.
The brave new world of tv is a rapidly changing one with a lot of confusion. Sometimes the more we improve the more things get worse and complicated. I have seen a lot of angry and frustrated consumers especially in the HD tv world. There is many a BS being peddled.

i have a dlp projector and a 106 inch screen in my movie room. its rated at 4-6000 hours on the bulb. after 1 year-655 hours of use.it should last along time. picture is unreal for the size and the invesment was 399.00 including the screen. 1080 and hd looks outstanding. our boarder has a phillips 37 inch lcd that is sooooo good. tv has definately gotten better. i still find myself watching a 32 year old zenith more than any other set.

I know what you mean about your Zenith. I lust after and Black and White Bakelite Admiral or other vintage tv now!

I wouldn't say I hate Plasma...

My major complaint against both of them is that they are digital in their display technique. The good thing about a CRT was that you could (Can in my case :p) lower or raise the resolution with little degradation of the picture. I also find digital displays to suffer from noise and moiré more than a CRT.

With LCD, complaints aside from the one's above are:
-Black levels are very poor.
-Back lighting is not very uniform compared to other displays
-Colors are not reference grade, and are over vibrant
-They just seem rather liquid when in motion.

A LED back-light will fix most of LCDs problems though.

In any case, until SED or LED LCD comes along, sticking with good ol' CRT (Unless I can win the lottery so I can buy a 1080 native plasma).

I wouldn't say I hate Plasma...

My major complaint against both of them is that they are digital in their display technique. The good thing about a CRT was that you could (Can in my case :p) lower or raise the resolution with little degradation of the picture. I also find digital displays to suffer from noise and moiré more than a CRT.

With LCD, complaints aside from the one's above are:
-Black levels are very poor.
-Back lighting is not very uniform compared to other displays
-Colors are not reference grade, and are over vibrant
-They just seem rather liquid when in motion.

A LED back-light will fix most of LCDs problems though.

In any case, until SED or LED LCD comes along, sticking with good ol' CRT (Unless I can win the lottery so I can buy a 1080 native plasma).
Check out the Pioneer Kuro line of plasma tvs. Best picture quality I have ever seen from a tv.
I am saving up to buy a 50" one.

I will be sticking with my CRTs for now. I've yet to see an affordable plasma or LCD display that looks right to me. They've all suffered from scaling issues, artifacting, poor blacks or other issues that just look odd to me.

They are improving. I have seen some higher end models that look good when displaying a HD signal, but I'm not convinced that even those models will render SD video from older sources properly and I can't afford it anyway.

I still watch my VHS tapes and laserdiscs. I still play my old video games on everything from the Atari 2600 to the Playstation 2. Scaling and artifcating that isn't that noticable on normal video becomes extremely distracting in many older games.

For me it just isn't worth the huge expense to not only buy the display, but then upgrade all my sources and media. I've gotten used to paying $10 or less for DVDs. I'm not about to start paying $35+ each for HD DVD/Bluray (I've yet to see either on sale here). TV for the most part isn't worth bothering with. Crap in HD is still crap.

I do question their reliability. So far the few LCD or Plamsas that I have found have had fatal faults (bad panels) or needed parts that I can't get or are too expensive. Googling for service info on a couple of sets that I was asked to fix turned up many people with the exact fault and no solution other than replacing entire boards. I have a couple of 30 year old TVs that I have fixed that still produce a good picture, others on this forum have sets that are older still. I doubt I'll ever see a 30 year old plasma or LCD in working condition.

I accept that I am in the minority. It doesn't bother me. I'll happily pick up the nice CRT sets that people throw out on the curb when they upgrade. My room isn't big enough for a massive screen, so I'll continue to sit 3 feet away from a 29 inch CRT.

I've seen good examples of all the technologies discussed.

The last big analog CRT TVs are superb for watching regular TV and laserdiscs and DVDs given that you don't mind the size constraints. I had the Sony flat screen 36" XBR, the one that did the anomorphic trick, and gave it to my kid. When I was at his house recently regular cable TV and DVDs looked so fine on that TV and lacked the fine electronic glaze digital TVs add to much non HD programming.

That said I'm very happy with the 55" Sony LCD RP I bought three years ago. That Sony was the first digital TV I saw that wasn't crawling with digital worms and I went with it.

I also have a 32" Poloroid LCD in the front room. Nice TV, looks very good with HD programming and pretty good with DVDs. Looks pretty bad on regular cable programming though, as does the Sony for that matter.

Just got my 37" Toshiba LCD. It looks no better or worse than any LCD I've seen in the last 7 years. Looks just like a huge version of my 17" computer Dell. Where's the progress? A 20" 109 dollar RCA tube from Walmart looks better but the LCDs have a different look and I don't mind it for movies, kind of a film like effect. And I was pleased to see I can fill up the screen with TV boadcasts with one of the cinema modes without distorting the picture.

Back
Top Bottom