Why do you like the hobby?

My other main hobby used to be woodworking/cabinetry. And writing is, I guess, a hobby for me. I need a new, fairly passive hobby. Perhaps as an online mime - check this out:

I like audio gear but the driver has always been the media that I buy ... tapes, records, CD's ... etc. I want the audio gear I buy to do a superb job of playing the used media I purchased.

Today's world is another ball game all together. With streaming options (good quality playback) ... no need for robust collection of "common titles". The rare or hard to find copies (not being streamed) are another matter.

I remember the first time I heard stereo sound, all we had was AM, even the cars were all AM mono, My cousin had a new totl sparkomatic car stereo installed in his ramcharger with 4 speakers and bought some new cass tapes, never been the same! The STEREO word really meant something in the 60s & 70s, a awsome new sound and it came with bragging rights, before quad was the new thing that didn't last. It was as big and new as the internet was in the 90s, to see the red stereo light on a fm station, and play stereo tapes and albums was special.

Last edited:
I enjoy obtaining equipment that was financially out of my reach as a youngster. I also enjoy learning how to repair the gear, which has proved that I am as clever as my dad because I used to give everything to him to fix but not any more !

It started with the music ... the I became infatuated with the equipment and good sound ... then I studied and got my BSEE and it became the music, good sound and the design. That led to kits and to tweaking and to trading and to DIY. But clearly the music is the root of it all.

I get a lot of satisfaction bringing dead equipment back to a useful life. It is a real charge to hear the first note come through. I got a little turned off after I repaired some equipment for someone as a favor who then immediately put it on CL for a quick flip. I don't listen much to people's stories now, if they want my services they have to pay the going rate.

Sometimes I wonder. I just spent two days exchanging incredibly tedious emails with an absolute utter moron,only to have the deal fall through on his end.

Living out here in the vast waste lands of West Texas having grown up as a kid in the big City of San Francisco where I studied music and attended a sorts of musical events. My system transports me all over the world to experience events I otherwise would never know about. A great recording capturing a great performance in a great venue will transport you there. It doesn't matter if its a Ballet performance in Russia France or England, A symphony concert in Vienna New York or Los Angeles, a Band concert at the foot of the White House steps or Royal Albert Hall, or a Choir concert at the Tabernacle. For a time I'm am participating in a great event transporting me there and returning me home.

What's not to like about it?

This hobby has something for everyone in my opinion. Just enjoying the music is only the beginning, every individual will explore some or all aspects of it based upon what they enjoy or have the skills for.

Personally, I truly enjoy all of it. I started spinning vinyl even before I started school and haven't stopped yet. I listen to music 24 hours a day, I just can't hear much once I fall asleep.

And then there's AK, where else can you find nice helpful folks like us, enjoy!

Why do I like the hobby?

Because I 'LOVE' my TT rack, speaker stands & cables.
:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom